Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spectra Physics Blade Pro

zhkent ยท 2008-12-27 16:12

Mounted on a 16G. Think these systems are becoming outdated. What blade control systems are others running? Handy cleaning terrace ends where they go into the waterway, terraces run 3 tenths fall per hundred feet. I use mine for field drainage mostly. Have cleaned up existing drains that have as little as 1/2 inch fall per hundred feet. Flatter than that doesn't hardly work. On an irrigated field that was gravity irrigated I used the system to take out holes and humps and make the water flow evenly from one end to the other. The owner got me into an interesting discussion about the curvature of the earth, and how flat would hold water since the earth itself is curved. A video of that job: Mpeg video leveling field Link to Page Couple more mpeg videos of same job on that page, sep 29

Replies13
  1. #1Darihall2010-03-13 09:15

    Bladepro has been a very reliable and accurate MC system. It is true that is becoming a little outdated but still works good enough for most of the projects today. BTW nice vids

  2. #2bigrus2010-03-22 07:35

    Might that mean the system will be less expensive to purchace To cut drains to level I use the old way, cut the hard spots & lift over the soft spots (low areas)

  3. #3Bigironjim2011-12-24 15:58

    I realise this is an OLD forum, BUT is anybodyy still running the Scectra "Blade pro" systems? I have some questions.

  4. #4Davvinciman2011-12-24 19:13

    I kill myself If I am understanding this right, I'll give the layman's version. BUMP...flows to...DENT....held by....GRAVITY! I think that is pretty much it. Were you on the clock when you had this discussion? Sorry, it must be the holidays. I couldn't help myself.

  5. #5zhkent2011-12-25 00:24

    I am still running the blade pro. No, I did not charge time when visiting with the customer. He did the math on this and his results are that the earths curvature is 8" per mile. Since I was working a half mile long field for flood irrigating, it mattered.

  6. #6Davvinciman2011-12-25 01:00

    I learn something new everyday and stand corrected. But I reserve the right to check on the 8 inches per mile. Sounds a bit much but it will garner the attention it deserves. Happy holidays to all.

  7. #7Davvinciman2011-12-25 01:13

    Like I said, I learn something new everyday. Using the theorem of Pythagoras a2 = 39632 + 12 = 15705370 and thus a = 3963.000126 miles. Thus your position is 3963.000126 - 3963 = 0.000126 miles above the surface of the earth. 0.000126 miles = 12*5280*0.000126 = 7.98 inches. Hence the earth's surface curves at approximately 8 inches per mile. He got it right. I wouldn't mind having that guy as my accountant. Kudos. I usually work off a bench mark and don't worry about the earth's curvature though.

  8. #8Bigironjim2012-01-01 20:15

    Zhkent. I see in the video link that you have an electric laser mast on the blade running the blade pro system. Is it rigid mounted to the blade, or are there shock mounts? Could I get a picture of how you are mounting the mast to the moldboard? Also hear you mention in one of the videos, that you "raise the mast manually", with the bladePro switches I take it? Thanks

  9. #9lumberjack2012-01-02 09:39

    Earth isn't a sphere. I presume the 39 k number is the approximate squared radius of the Earth . What's 3.46 miles supposed to represent?

  10. #10brianbulldozer2012-01-02 11:30

    The 8" per mile curvature figure (which I believe is correct) has had me thinking about this one. If your field is a half mile long and your laser transmitter is in the center, then what we are interested in is the amount of curvature in a quarter mile. This works out to be 0.04' or less than 1/2" and is the maximum difference between the curved surface and the plane you are cutting with your grader. I don't know what laser transmitter you are using, but I just read on the internet (where you can believe everything) that the higher end Trimble transmitters (GL700 series) are considered within calibration when the error is less than 5/16" per 600'. Over your half mile field this is as much as 1 3/8". Add in some error for the receivers and the blade pro and you might double that. If one of my customers ever goes off about the curvature of the earth, I am going to stand there and nod and not say a word about the inaccuracy of the old equipment I am using.

  11. #11lumberjack2012-01-02 14:16

    Scratch that, where did all those numbers come from? 39 k and 12 don't make any sense to me.

  12. #12zhkent2012-01-02 20:34

    It is a rigid mount. Will get a pic sometime, grader is in the shop now. You are correct that I was raising it manually with the switches on the system. The field had a flatter slope on the bottom half so I used that flatter percentage in the laser. Then on the steeper part I would raise the grade a bit on the fly manually.

  13. #13MCguy2012-01-19 14:40

    We are still using Blade Pro 3D/ATS Systems on our CMI Trimmers. They are outdated and in the past I have had many problems with the control boxes refusing to work. I would (at the time) send them in to my Trimble dealer and get them fixed. But as of now Trimble is no longer supporting that system nor the SiteVision, or the first issued GCS900 systems(SV170, MS980, SNR900). I have be fortunate enough though to buy 2 spare control boxes so if the ones I currently run go down, I have a back up. As for the performance of the Blade Pro systems, Ive used them on dozers, graders and trimmers and its a great system when it works. The only bad thing I can say about the Blade Pro is the setup, sometimes it will connect (ATS to machine) sometimes is doesnt and at that point you have to turn everything off and and re-setup. As for the replacement of Blader Pro, Trimble has a GCS900 system for trimmers and graders that work with the SPS930 total station, I personal have used the system on a 16G and a D6N and I will say the setup proccedure is very much the same, but it connects everytime. I am currently pricing the upgrade from Blade Pro on our trimmers to the newer GCS900 systems.