Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

spiral fluted taps?

zbo2 ยท 2014-08-31 13:55

question for you machinists ..... is there a big difference between regular taps and the spiral fluted taps? .... I need to get some 9/16 thru 3/4 taps and was wondering...

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-31 14:58

    I'll chime in on your thread with another similar question. I generally use three flute plug taps which seem to work well for both hand tapping and in my el cheapo tapping head. Are the spiral fluted taps more suited to power tappping, like in a CNC machine, or will they work well in a tapping head in my drill press? I'm generally tapping A656-80 or A514. Maybe we'll both be elucidated by more knowledgable folk.

  2. #2525isx2014-08-31 15:05

    I'm not a machinist, but I do a fair amount of fab work and repair stuff - I think the spiral flute is to help lift chips out of blind holes - good quality taps (not carbon steel) will work well with machines. I don't have a tapping head,but tapp on the milling machine at low rpm 525

  3. #3zbo22014-08-31 15:11

    my intention is just chasing threads before reassembly on a 500e I am rebuilding... although it could be possible that I might have to actually tap something... mostly just chasing threads and a lot of the holes are blind

  4. #4Old Doug2014-08-31 16:35

    If you are going to be cleaning junk out of holes i wouldnt spend alot on a high end tap because dirt will dull a tap.

  5. #5Multiracer2014-08-31 17:26

    Spiral flute taps are wonderful. They drive the cut chip foreword of the tap. They are not meant to work in blind holes. You can cut threads with a spiral flute with about one half the horsepower of a normal tap.

  6. #6lantraxco2014-08-31 22:20

    Thanks Multiracer, I'll have to order a couple and give them a try.

  7. #7Andrew_D2014-09-01 10:59

    You're thinking of spiral point, not spiral flute. 1.) Spiral point will push the chips ahead of the tap - use them in through holes. Hand power or machine power. 2.) Spiral flute will pull the chips up the flutes of the tap (similar to how a drill bit works) - use them in blind holes. Hand power or machine power. 3.) With Hand taps, the chips will pack into the flutes. That's why you need to back the tap off every so often otherwise the chips will bind up the tap and you'll (likely) break it. Hand power only. 4.) Less often seen, roll forming taps do not cut threads, they form them. As a result, they require a larger tap drill. But the threads are very strong. Usually only machine power, but if you eat enough wheaties, you could drive them by hand! Left to right: Roll Forming, Spiral Flute, Spiral Point, Hand Tap For cleaning existing threads, I'd get Hand Taps. Generally cheaper and, as mentioned, the dirt, filings, etc will dull them quicker. Andrew

  8. #8lantraxco2014-09-01 12:18

    Thanks Andrew_D!

  9. #9Multiracer2014-09-01 19:38

    My bad, spiral point is the one I use. When you use one of any size you wont go back to any other. Thanks for the correction. :Banghead Ron

  10. #10zbo22014-09-01 22:28

    thanks guys....