Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat “Error Codes” finding what they mean and…..

kshansen ยท 2014-09-02 19:31

Today on a 980K got an error code on dash display saying E583 and High Air Inlet differential Pressure. Seemed to be obvious that it was trying to say "Plugged Air Filter". Removed air filter and it was dirty. Installed new one and thought the problem was solved. Several minutes later operator came back and said the code was back! Tried to use Cat SIS to find information on the code, as to what other things may trigger it. Thought it should be easy but I was stumped as to how to find the information. After doing a Google search I did find reference to just this problem. And using the "Advance Full Text Search" section of SIS with a copy and past of part of the information I found on Google I finally was able to get the following form: UENR0955-17 This gave me some simple things to check and the problem did turn out to be the pre-cleaner, it looked nice and clean on the top but when pulled out it was very dirty. I'm just trying to find a simple way to access this information, seems SIS is very fussy about formats used when searching for something like this error code. Maybe this information is in the paper version of the service manual, but for some reason despite being told we were to get one it has never shown it's head!

Replies21
  1. #1simonsrplant2014-09-02 23:56

    I don't know the answer, but will follow this thread... I know exactly what you're saying... Hope someone can show a straightforward way to search codes.

  2. #2big ben2014-09-03 00:10

    Yes it can be frustrating as you can always come across them except when you need them....It embarrassing when someone asks you to quickly look up a code for them and it take 15 minutes ! Best way I find codes/event is Component Based Troubleshooting. Its a part of Cat SIS/ET but in a separate short cut on my desk top. When your in ET and looking at codes and click the link on the bottom that says "t/s code" it directs you to CBT

  3. #3caterpillarmech2014-09-03 05:00

    Advanced is how I find them all now. It is very frustrating to find the code let alone the troubleshooting now. I remember when we only had codes and they were all in one place!

  4. #4Nige2014-09-03 07:44

    I'll second that. It also seems as though the new generation of machines are getting out in the field with all kinds of new "E Codes" (as opposed to the well known MID CID FMI Codes) and there is no troubleshooting procedure anywhere in the manuals. I had this on a machine a few weeks ago, had to get the answer via DSN who seemed "surprised" that there was no diagnostic procedure anywhere in SIS-web. On another note, who uses schematics (mostly hydraulic) for training purposes..? I've come across a number of major bloopers recently in schematics, such as an oil cooler diverter valve completely missing from a schematic, and another schematic that showed the hydraulic lines to release the rear axle parking brakes connected to the service brakes and the service brake lines from the slack adjuster connected to the parking brakes. At least the feedback system in SIS-web works, and both errors have been acknowledged and corrected by the factory.

  5. #5kshansen2014-09-03 09:31

    I/we have Customer version of ET on a laptop but when I just went to see about the "CBT" I see that I would need Internet access to view that information. Not sure the company will allow that for the laptop, they seem very parinoid when it come to allowing Internet access. I'll send an Email to Equipment Supervisor to see what he thinks. Sometimes I don't think upper management has a clue about how different systems are on the new equipment. They still think everything is the same as it was when we were running 120 Houghs and 966B's along with the 87A1964 988 loaders, hammer, screw driver and some channel locks can fix everything. I can't wait to see what happens when the regeneration system on one of these goes belly-up!

  6. #6Nige2014-09-03 11:19

    But if the Code to which you want information is not in the system you are well and truly up **** creek without the proverbial paddle............that's what I'm finding.

  7. #7Deeretracks2014-09-03 11:31

    You can always call your Cat product support rep or service supervisor, they are usually very helpful. :laugh

  8. #8tool_king2014-09-03 19:34

    kshansen Who do you work for? How do they think you are going to work on the new systems without the proper info at hand .

  9. #9kshansen2014-09-03 19:52

    One of the largest Cement/Aggregates companies in the world, but rather not name names! If you know what I mean! I don't think anyone in middle or upper management has any idea of how the machines work or what is needed to work on them. One comment from area manager that he made shortly after taking control of the whole state might explain some. "I don't know anything about making crushed stone, BUT I know how to make money!" Every year since then we have to submit a "Winter Work List" last year, in the middle of November, for mobile equipment I turned in a list that estimated over 900 man hours. I worked till middle of December and then was on lay off till the first week of March only a few weeks before starting production for the year. AS I am the only actual mechanic for the mobile equipment you can guess how much of that list was even touched! Many people have said they feel sorry for who ever comes in to take that guys job in a few years when he retires. Differed maintenance is not a way to save money in the long run.

  10. #10tool_king2014-09-03 20:23

    That is a very poor way to run a company.

  11. #11kshansen2014-09-04 19:03

    Agree, used to be I felt like we tried to improve our maintenance program each year. Now it seems doing less each year is the idea.

  12. #12profrooky2014-09-06 18:08

    Hey ksh: I used to work for a large cement producer and worked on their limestone quarry machines. The quarry supervisor was a rock engineer and had absolutely NO clue about looking after equipment. He let the 992 run 1200 hrs once between oil changes! Also kept it working once with the auto greaser not working. Eventually seized the top boom pin and broke the pin. Stupidity to a new level! I went over his head a few times to let senior management know how their equipment was being treated. It seemed like they didn't care either. The old Fram filter line: "Pay me now or pay me later" was constantly playing in my head! It was the most frustrating place I have ever worked, and one of the happiest days was the last day I worked there.

  13. #13kshansen2014-09-06 18:23

    Sounds sadly familiar Another thing we hear when we try suggesting a repair before a major failure is: "We ant to get FULL UTILIZATION out of the machine" To me and you full utilization would mean a long productive life by way of ongoing maintenance, not run it till it explodes then have to air ship in something to replace it in mid-season. That last one was about the speed reducer for the main conveyor in the plant. When that fails all productions stops in a few hours running. Ran it making bad noises one fall and did not do anything to fix it till after it failed next summer.

  14. #14John C.2014-09-07 00:48

    I always have to wonder why management puts a pair of loafers in charge of iron. No experience, no training, no knowledge of any operation and only a college degree in business or english lit and suddenly they are an equipment manager. They can't step off a piece of concrete for fear they will get their shoes dirty but they sure talk a big show about what they know. I've had better luck most of the times with a lady clerk running things. At least they will listen to you sometimes.

  15. #15roshan suwal2015-02-08 07:33

    Similarly i got error code E15 CA689. how to solve the problems?

  16. #16kshansen2015-02-08 09:39

    What machine is this on? Model and S/N?

  17. #17mrappels2015-11-30 06:40

    solution to your issue HI there, I Hope You Guys Are Still Following This thread, I got a simple solution to your problem, been through the same thing so i found a way round it. If you have access to the SIS, Log on, put in a serial number prefix, ie B1P for 740 adt, document structure, Special Instruction, Find The "Diagnostic Code Information For Caterpillar Electronic Control", =full list of all diagnostic and event codes!! And you can print yourself a copy. its quite thick so be warned lol. OR.. you can do what i did and save the print file to xps document writer and convert That File To A PDF Document! easily accessible from your smart phone all event and error codes saves loads of time. Hope it helps!

  18. #18mrappels2016-03-06 10:16

    i keep a pdf copy of the complete list of error codes on my phone, usually dont get a description and my laptop is always too far away. i would be more than happy to share it with anyone, just PM me with your email and ill send it to you.

  19. #19Nige2016-03-06 12:55

    Ah ha, the famous Cat Special Instruction REHS0126 ...... it also pays to download a new version every few months or so to keep up to date. Currently it's at version 25, it was version 3 when I first started using it.

  20. #20simonsrplant2016-03-06 14:31

    Thanks for that information: I'll be trying that!

  21. #21Courtney2020-01-08 13:00