Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Split link on JD450C dozer

Orest Anhel ยท 2021-09-11 15:08

I need to reseal a track tension cylinder on my JD 450C dozer. It has Trek chains on it. The links are pt# 5-0087 which Trek tells me are sealed links with an alligator style split link. I am not seeing anything distinctive or different looking. I would think the split link would look obviously different from the rest.

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2021-09-11 19:00

    Have not ever seen a Split Link on a 450, even with a SALT set of pins they still used a master pin link. Look for one with a drilling or dimple at center of pin ends. Look at this idea. Just remember these idiots did not remove the Master on the chain they had, would have been easier. Gator style link will be solid sided and the bolts for the track shoe hold it together no nuts as typical links have. John Deere 450 Crawler Update part 2 Front Idler Replacement - YouTube

  2. #2Orest Anhel2021-09-11 20:00

    That looks workable. Most of the pins are dimpled like the one in the attached photo

  3. #3DMiller2021-09-11 20:32

    Will be ONE pin different on the ends from the rest, usually just subtle. That set of links has a bushing that does not sit into the ears of the next link so can be split and slid apart. If ALL have a DImple, it may be the only one NOT.

  4. #4Tones2021-09-11 22:26

    Can anyone tell me what pitch those chains are?

  5. #5mg23612021-09-12 05:20

    639.9mm

  6. #6Mobilewrench2021-09-12 19:44

    Is that pitch new or the wear limit? I have a client with a similar machine and serious slack adjuster problems. I want to break the tracks to figure out the extent of the problem and am wondering what the wear limit on the chain is before I go in.

  7. #7mg23612021-09-13 04:40

    New. 100% worn is 652mm.

  8. #8Mobilewrench2021-09-13 21:21

    Hey, thanks. However I misremembered my machine. It is a 450g.

  9. #9mg23612021-09-14 04:54

    New - 640.1mm 100% worn - 652.8mm

  10. #10Mobilewrench2021-09-14 20:49

    Thanks again!