Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Splitting trailer coupler

Fitter449 ยท 2021-12-20 14:25

Just picked up a new dump trailer and trying to find specific coupler. Buddy had it on his dump trailer years ago where you could pull straight into the coupler after you lifted a horseshoe piece and the coupler actually split open. If anyone could help that'd be great.

Replies15
  1. #11693TA2021-12-20 15:08

    Sounds like the original "Gooseneck Trailers" inverted coupler. Basically an upside down 5th wheel coupler and they did work slick. No cranking of the landing gear on a heavy laden trailer to pull out of it. Just take the weight off the pulling unit, pull the horseshoe lock up, and drive out.

  2. #2Fitter4492021-12-20 15:38

    Yeah I can't find it for the life of me lol I've tried every search phrase I can think of

  3. #31693TA2021-12-20 16:24

    If the one I'm thinking, I installed a bunch of them in the late 1970's. They were available in both a 2-5/16", and 3" ball type coupler.

  4. #4Fitter4492021-12-20 16:47

    These are bumper pull ones though. I want to say it was on his trailer when he bought it in like 2010 ish

  5. #51693TA2021-12-20 16:51

    I remember those too. Never messed with one however; sorry.

  6. #6Fitter4492021-12-20 16:56

    Well crap thanks anyways

  7. #7Bluox2021-12-20 18:44

    Try Bulldog Bob

  8. #8Fitter4492021-12-20 19:08

    Nope nothing by them like it

  9. #9farmerlund2021-12-21 22:13

    https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/s/m/sm2516np_4_1000.jpg Like this? Google "auto lock trailer hitches" SM300 AUTOLOCK Gooseneck Coupler (temco-inc.net)

  10. #101693TA2021-12-21 22:42

    That would be the latest rendition of the hitch I was thinking. A little different in appearance now but the same company which had completely slipped my mind. They are very heavy in construction and won't come undone from the ball once the hitch pin is slid into place holding the collar down. They sure save your back from cranking on landing gear with the trailer loaded too. Thanks for finding that one.

  11. #111693TA2021-12-21 22:59

    Does not appear to be available any longer. Plenty of vendors in Australia offer it however. From the etrailer.com site, here is a video demonstrating it's use: https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Auto-Lock-Trailer-Coupler-SM2516NP.aspx

  12. #12Fitter4492021-12-22 06:08

    Yep that's it guess they aren't available anymore

  13. #13Fitter4492021-12-22 10:02

    Found it it was made by quickbite guess they went out of business or something unfortunately

  14. #141693TA2021-12-22 10:16

    Thanks for the follow-up, I had never seen that one in the past.

  15. #151466IH2021-12-22 11:27

    Not sure if redneck trailer parts has any offerings down there but that is where I got my last 2 couplers