Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to weld on D-Rings

PeterG · 2021-12-24 13:39

I bought another trailer, and would like to weld on D-Rings every two feet or so along the sides. The normal place is on the sides. What I don't like about this is it makes the trailer wider with chains and binders etc, plus with the D-rings jammed along the sides you loose some D-ring space and they pull at weird angles. I prefer to just weld them on top of the sides. I likely will never have anything that wide that they would be in the way, and I also don't think walking around the equipment when standing on the trailer would they be much in the way. Why don't the manufactures well them on top? On this Trailmax it has chain loop holes on the top, so they understand the angles of straps and chains. Opinions?

Replies15
  1. #1Aarons812021-12-24 17:26

    Every 2ft might be a tad over kill. Every 4ft would be more than enough. I would definitely put them on the top side of the rail, do to the reasons you listed. I would imagine that is tube steel on the sides witch usually means it's a thinner gage steel. If you do top mount them you might want to add some additional plating under the d-rings to keep from ripping the tube. That's a nice looking trailer you got there..What are you moving and what are you pulling it with. You know we love pictures around here.

  2. #2AllDodge2021-12-24 17:28

    Is the trailer a full 102 inches? Most have room so it can have stake pockets added which is great for attaching chains and binders

  3. #3suladas2021-12-24 17:42

    On my tag they are on the side, trailer is only wider what 5/8" on each side for the width of the d-ring, trailer is 9'6" wide a little bit extra isn't going to make any difference. I think they do it for a few reasons, one my trailer is made for equipment and my track hoe overhangs I don't want to be driving over d-rings, and it's a better tie down angle. The rub rail is only on the lighter trailers, the heavier more equipment ones go to d-rings for more strength. Maybe the trailer you had they weren't installed properly? I've never had any complaints about them being on the side at all.

  4. #4AllDodge2021-12-24 17:49

    My 10 ton and friends 20 ton tag have pockets like the above but heavier. Pic was just one I found for clarification

  5. #5Junkyard2021-12-24 18:22

    Looks like there are keys lots in there already. In my experience they’re better than d-rings.

  6. #6AllDodge2021-12-24 18:35

    ^^^ Looks like this is the trailer, but no specs https://www.bakersfieldtrailer.com/decmeber-2021-sale-LR3k|LVd.html

  7. #7DMiller2021-12-24 20:11

    If set up exactly as that one this is copied from that ad " Load Securement 18 Each (9 per side) 2-Way Chain Slot/Stake Pocket System | 14 Each (7 per side) 1" Diameter D-Rings" No need for additional.

  8. #8Jonas3022021-12-24 20:12

    Top of the rail works fine IF your not wide and going to run them over and your now lazy like me and clean snow off with a loader Most people can make a better weld horizontal then vertical Your trailer looks nice with the clean sides If you do go on the side there are rings that have a bend in them and a little bit longer I like those better If the trailer hauls the same machines all the time I like to load them up and put the rings right were I need them rather than a certain spacing

  9. #9skyking12021-12-24 20:12

    IF those are key slots that is pretty handy. If not, I would cut notches in the deck and weld them to the inboard side of the frame, so they can lay down inside and not make the trailer wider. Top of the rail would never work for me, I haul an excavator that would trash them pretty quickly there.

  10. #10suladas2021-12-24 20:30

    Problem I see with the inside in many cases is wires/air lines along there, and you'd need a decent size hole in the deck to have room to wrap a chain around it without too much hassle. To me no difference in width, track hoe overhangs trailer so extra width from d-rings is negligible. I also like having my chains permanently attached to the 4 d-rings I use for track hoe, makes tying down much quicker not lugging chains back and forth. Slots on top of rail would be the best of all, nothing in the way when empty and easy to hook onto, but most trailers the outside rail isn't heavy enough to slot the top unless it's a lowboy.

  11. #11JLarson2021-12-24 22:14

    We've put bent d rings on the sides of a lot of trailers, especially popular on tags with open c channel sides. Width permitting of course.

  12. #12Junkyard2021-12-24 23:30

    If you’re dead set on D rings I’ve had lowboys built with pocket D rings that sit flush with the deck, slide them up for securement and they’re out of sight, out of mind when not needed. Slots can be pulled up, across and just about any angle that keeps the chain pulled into said slot. I’ve never seen a slot pulled out of a trailer. I have seen many D-rings pulled off. I’ve had them cut for 3/8” and 1/2” chain. A link in your binder or chain will pop in a shock load moment before you pull it out of a slot. As far as adding width to a trailer, any securement device is not figured into a measurement should you get inspected and they pull out a tape measure. Putting a D-ring on top doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe in the middle welded to the main rails where things will straddle them. Top of outside rails is not a viable option based on my experience. To the side with a bent D-ring is a second option.

  13. #13Tags2021-12-25 13:14

    I had nine put down each side of mine and one on the inside of the headboard on each frame rail. Putting them on top is ok until you or someone else, wants to put a machine on there that's 8'6" wide, you'll be walking all over them. The sides work fine, I've never had an issue with them there. The bent ones seem like a good idea or just cut more key slots in the rails. I do think putting a bunch of em on isn't a bad thing, especially if you haul a bunch of different things.

  14. #14PeterG2021-12-27 12:50

    Thanks for all your answers and Happy Holidays. We do attach may different types of equipment, non of which are that heavy or wide. At this time, I think I will likely do them mostly on the side, but may mount a few on top and in the front. The trailer does have the chain slots, and that works ok as well, but for some of the lighter equipment I want to be able to use ratchet straps. I'm also going to mount a Receiver hitch to be able to mount my winch as needed to help load equipment that doesn't like wet steep wood. I learned that when I moved a forklift recently.

  15. #15PeterG2021-12-27 12:58

    I also want to touch on the Tilt deck ramps. When wet, the small machines have a hard time just getting over the trailer lip, and then gripping the white painted surface. Newer Trailmax trailers have some welded on grip strips. One inch tall and a couple inches deep and maybe two of them. Anyone have ideas with this? Don't think I want to weld on mesh. I have also seen some rubber mats with 2.5" lift typically for wheelchair. They are 4' wide, and two foot deep. I have a small walk behind vibrator Roller (Multiquip MRH800GS) that I would like to be able to get onto the trailer. The largest machine I haul is a Takeuchi TB153FR. Also have a TL130 track loader, and TB240 mini ex.