Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spun Bearing on Ring gear carrier

Old Doug ยท 2022-11-12 12:13

Its on the rear end in a Dodge farm pickup. I am thinking about welding it up and lathing it down. Has anyone done this before ?

Replies3
  1. #1DMiller2022-11-12 13:36

    Done that on a Sickle Mower drive before, old farm truck should last awhile.

  2. #2terex herder2022-11-13 07:06

    Is the carrier ductile iron or forged steel? If its iron I'd braze it with Silicon bronze. How loose? Some Loctite products are rated to .015/side.

  3. #3Old Doug2022-11-13 08:43

    I am not sure what it is yet. They have had this pickup a long time and about every 2 to 3 years it has a rear end problem. I dont know if that is a problem every were but a 1 ton dully around here the rear end problems will be the end of them. My Dad used 1 tons and cube vans i dont know how many he bougth over the years with bad rear ends. A lot of them the case had a problem to the point it wasnt repairable. Then it was very hard to find a replacement several ended up with older rear ends. I remember a ford that the yoke nut came off and the pinion went back inside then came out the bottom. I never took the cover off to look inside but now i wish i would have.