Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Squareshooter SS-836 engine stalls.

Max1985 · 2019-02-23 17:05

Got a squareshooter SS-836 that dies after about 10 minutes of running at approx 25% throttle and higher. Basically under higher rpms than idle. And also before it dies the rpms jump a jump a little higher and it keeps running at the higher rpm, even tho my foot on the throttle is the same. Then it starts to slow down and dies no matter what you do with the throttle. Is it getting flooded or what?

Replies21
  1. #1Max19852019-02-23 17:11

    Also it has a diesel John Deere engine. And a stanadyne fuel injection pump.

  2. #2Delmer2019-02-23 18:09

    Your fuel supply is blocked and it's sucking air. Take the fuel supply apart piece by piece and blow the crud out of the pieces. check the tank for debris, you do drain a few drops out of the tank drain every day right? Is there a screen or strainer in the tank? This is assuming you know when the filter was changed last, if you don't know, then change the filter first.

  3. #3Max19852019-02-23 18:20

    What do you mean by take the fuel supply apart. It doesn’t have a lift pump. The injection pump sucks the fuel. Can’t really tell if there is a screen on the bottom of the tank but there is one on the cap itself.

  4. #4Max19852019-02-23 18:22

    Are you talking about the injection pump as the fuel supply or do you mean the whole system. Also I don’t think it has a fuel filter. But it does have a water/fuel separator. I will look harder for the filter, I doubt it doesn’t have one.

  5. #5Delmer2019-02-23 21:43

    Don't touch the injection pump. I mean the fuel lines from the tank to the injection pump, everything that the fuel passes through on it's way to the injection pump. especially the filter. Is the tank above the level of the injection pump? Otherwise, I'd expect it to have a lift pump.

  6. #6Max19852019-02-23 22:02

    Nope. The tank is below the injection pump but I’m sure it doesn’t have a lift pump.

  7. #7Delmer2019-02-24 06:16

    Extra sensitive to plugging or air leakage then. Another question, does it start right back up in one minute? do you have to wait half an hour to start it again? do you have to prime it? or crank for 5 seconds? 20 seconds?

  8. #8thepumpguysc2019-02-24 08:48

    what are the #'s on the inj. pump name plate? Does the fuel tank feed the inj. pump from a line on top of the tank or bottom?? IF its from the bottom, pull the line off at the tank & check for "free flow".. the fuel should GUSH OUT for atleast 10-20 seconds.. IF it starts to gush & then slow down or stop, u got "stuff" blocking the outlet.. & depending on the INJ. PUMP #'s, it could be a "flex ring" problem..

  9. #9Max19852019-02-24 15:58

    It doesn’t start right back up from the first crank. I don’t have to prime it. It’ll take about 15 seconds to crank then it’ll start but I don’t Crank it for that long in order to not kill the battery(its weak), so I just spray some starting fluid and it’ll start. But no it’s not like I have to wait 30 minutes before it starts again. In fact, the longer it is after it dies, it’ll start right back up from first crank. Yes, the line is on the bottom and it has flow. Injection pump: Model: K5 DB2436-4998 Serial No: 8375495 MFG No:RE-47179

  10. #10Max19852019-02-24 16:10

    It an old machine. The tag is kind of confusing but I think I got it right. But I still wasn’t able to find anything about it on the internet, that’s why I came here.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2019-02-25 08:32

    Take the fitting off the top of the pump.. ALL THE WAY DOWN TO the aluminum cover.. That fitting should have a checkball & spring in it.. SHAKE IT OFF & hold it up to the sun.. u should be able to see thru the glass ball.. Give it a couple good blasts w/ an air compressor.. TRY to rig up some way of catching the fuel from the top of the inj. pump & run it WITHOUT the checkball fitting.. A barbed fitting screwed into the pump & a piece of rubber hose connecting the return line to the top of the pump will work..its OK if it leaks alittle bit OR just let it run on the ground. Does it STILL shut off w/o the fitting.?? IF NO, u got crud in the pump or the flex ring inside the pump has deteriorated & is plugging the return connector{check ball} 1 thing U GOTTA KNOW about that inj. system is> if u cant get fuel OUT{plugged check ball or return line}.. fuel cant get IN.. Good luck.. THERE IS another way to check it.. just loosen the side cover on the pump & get it dripping, a lot.. & try to start it.. IF IT STARTS, its a clogged connector..

  12. #12mg23612019-02-25 12:22

    A Deere engine will definitely have a lift pump. It is on the opposite side of the engine from the injection pump mounted near the top of the block about 8" from the the flywheel end.

  13. #13Max19852019-02-25 12:34

    I’d hear it working though, right? I don’t here anything nor see it in the tank or near the engine. But I’ll go take a look.

  14. #14Max19852019-02-25 12:54

    Nope, no lift pump. Only the fuel/water separator. It also doesn’t have a particulates fuel filter. The one that removes dirt and all other contaminates. Do you know if the water separator is a 2 in 1 acting as the particulate filter also. Also if you’d like to take a look here’s a picture of the serial number of the engine.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2019-02-25 13:25

    All ya gotta do is google JD4045D lift pump.. It either has 1 that's electric made into the top of the filter head OR a mechanical pump on the back-side of the engine..

  16. #16DARO2019-02-25 20:57

    What brand of injection pump is this?

  17. #17Delmer2019-02-25 22:51

    stanadyne in post #2, numbers in post #10

  18. #18DARO2019-02-25 23:08

    Open mine eyes.

  19. #19mg23612019-02-26 04:36

    I think Delmer is correct (post #3) in that you have a suction issue whether it be a restriction or air infiltration. Also the pumpguys advise in post #12 needs to be followed as well. According to Deere's build codes on that engine their is a mechanical lift pump on that engine mounted by the Deere distributor who sold the engine to Squareshooter. See attached picture for location. I also attached your build codes. It helps if you need to order parts.

  20. #20Max19852019-02-26 12:53

    Yeah I found it. I was even messing with it thinking it was some sort of accumulator. I was looking for the more well-known lift pump thinking that’s what it had and looked right passed it. Don’t know why it hadn’t dawned on me to search it up. Thanks. And as for the air leak issue. I think it was at the lift pump. Yesterday I ran it for about 45 minutes and drove it down the road in 3rd gear full throttle and it didn’t die. Hope that fixed it. Thanks everybody for your time.

  21. #21mg23612019-02-26 16:38

    Glad to hear you are up and running !