Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

standyne injector pump

black60church ยท 2015-12-26 19:28

I have a 4.5 john deere motor in a bulldozer with a standyne injector pump with electric shut off. I bought a pump off of a 4.5 john deere motor that ran a generator and installed it it starts and runs perfect but will not open up enough it opoens sbout half does any one know if I can set the fuel up while pump is on engine and how to do it thanks

Replies7
  1. #102Dmax2015-12-26 21:16

    It's probably going to have to come off and go to an injection shop. It's most likely more than just adjustments. It probably has a totally different governor setup or distributor ring in it. What was wrong with the old pump?

  2. #2JustinG2015-12-26 21:18

    I believe most generators are set differently than engines that is in equipment. The generators I've been around are set at 1800 rpm. The pump should have some kind of cover plate. The adjustment screw should be behind the cover. I've turned a few pumps up with them on the engine. Not sure how easy your pump is to get to though. Could you not have had your old pump rebuilt?

  3. #3JustinG2015-12-26 21:20

    Like he said, internals of pump might be set differently.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-12-27 00:25

    Generators usually run at a multiple of 60 cycles, typically 1,200 or 1,800, and tend to be tighter precision on holding that rpm. Probably would have been money ahead to just get a reman for the original.

  5. #5black60church2015-12-27 09:02

    my old pump was in bad shape I got a good deal on a pump with 40 hrs on it it says on there 1800 rpm the guy iu got it from said it should open faster than that. but I can still afford to go to injector pum place first the motor came off air compressor so that original pump probably would not have enough even if it had been good. thanks a lot does any one know what it cost to turn one up at a diesel shop

  6. #602Dmax2015-12-27 14:59

    Any injection shop that knows what they're doing is going to tear it down, find out what's in it, then decide if it will work or if it needs different internals. I'd say you're looking at a minimum of $700. Probably more like 1500-1700 once they get in it and see what all they have to change. I would definitely advise taking it to a shop though. Running it like you have it now could potentially damage your engine.

  7. #7black60church2015-12-27 17:02

    thanks a new one is around 1100 and have not been running it just put motor in and got it started thanks