Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stanley MB800 hammer nitrogen refill question

santafepa ยท 2012-08-03 15:48

Hi, I have a Stanley mb800 hammer thats been working great for years, but now the impact rate slowed down alot and i was told it needs a Nitrogen recharge. is this common for a hammer to be recharged occasionaly? or does it mean seals are blown out and needs major overhaul? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-08-03 18:01

    May need a recharge, the mb800 needs a flow 22-30 gpm at 1800 psi to work, also the machine hydraulic flow may need some checks as well. Since you said it runs slow, there are some causes, low hyd flow/check system, excessive heat build up/oil cooler/releif valves/use lower throttle setting, excessive nitrogen pressure/ de-gas and recharge, then internal leakage/check seals and orings. I would find a rental yard that has the test equipment and have it charged, stanley sold kits to do this, you have three charging areas on most, high pressure accumulator/ nitrogen chamber/ low pressure accumulator. And yes they do need a recharge, we kept ours chained off the ground and uprite when stored.

  2. #2santafepa2012-08-05 12:58

    Sheepfoot, I was using it for a few hours busting rock, then all of a sudden it slowed down, now it hits fast for a few seconds then slows down again.. i'll take it to my local John Deere dealer for a recharge tomarrow. I also keep mine upright when not in use but did'nt keep the bit off the ground. good to know. Thanks for the info :notworthy