Hey guys- I'm researching how I want to enter the market and I have been paying a lot of attention to the possibilties and cost savings associated with using laser technology for grading, trenching, and excavating. I was wondering if you guys think there is a possible laser grading and excavating market to be exploited by someone starting up? I'm particulary interested in the NE region of the U.S. What are your thoughts on this kind of laser based business? Thanks, Andrew
Andrew I do quite a bit of laser grading on Golf Courses and athletic fields. The equipment is very expensive but the results you get from it can't be matched. Laser grading isn't all that new but convincing people to spend the extra money is the hardest part. I would like to expand into the market of laser grading the sub grade for concrete floors inside new large buildings. Most Excavating contractors in my area are still doing the sub grade the hard way. In my opinion the future is in GPS grade control now that machines are coming from the factory equipped to handle easy installation of GPS systems. But again its not cheap when it comes to start up costs.
Here is a pic of my laser box blade
I've never dabbled with the lasers much. The Cat CAES GPS system if budgetable is the way to go in my opinion. In addition to being able to load your maps and plans via a PC, you can just punch in your grade/offset on the screen and follow it that way.
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering how much a laser system will add to the cost of a machine- say a skidsteer, D6N size dozer, and a 325CL size excavator? Thanks, Andrew