Hey guys, Just had a starter explode fairly violently in our Tak TL130. Has anyone ever seen something like this happen before? It happened on a start after a stall with the bucket jammed in a pile of dirt. It started the tractor, then immediately exploded. Guessing the bendix stayed engaged with the flywheel? Tractor ran till I shut it down. Here it is side by side with a new aftermarket one I picked up: Thanks!
Yep, if for whatever reason the starter drive stayed engaged in the flywheel after the engine started, high speed come apart is not unusual. And that one had a real good come apart.
The overruning clutch in the bendix should prevent the engine from spinning the starter. Should. Possible the solenoid stuck on and it spun itself to death. Now if the engine can run backward, all bets are off......
I'm just wild guessing but don't think that one meets core acceptance qualifications! Just be glad you were not close to it when it came apart shrapnel could be deadly!
i for one, am impressed :notworthy kinda a *** moment :drinkup
I'd be guessing the overrunning clutch may have been trying to do it's job but eventually seized up and that is when all heck broke loose. I'm also thinking this machine has a nice quiet cab an operator could not hear the whine of the overrunning clutch and little starter gear spinning. Guessing this thing has say 120 teeth on ring gear and at the most 12 teeth on the starter. This gives a 10:1 ratio so if engine starts and cranks up to 2,000 rpm that little starter gear and overrunning clutch is doing 20,000 rpm Don't care how good it is just so long before BOOM!
+gear reduction in the starter itself!
True Dat!
Appreciate the comments guys! It's actually an open cab machine, and a fairly beat up one with 2000hrs at that. I didn't think I heard anything out of the ordinary while operating, though I do use ear protection. The machine was recently stuck in a mud hole for a few days and some of the relays may have become saturated with water. (Fuel shutoff solenoid did not work until stop relay dried out) So possibly a bad relay actuated the solenoid for too long? Maybe the water content of the mud made did something to the over running clutch? It started well many times after getting the machine out of the hole and cleaned back up. Main difference in this start compared to previous ones is that the machine was throttled up.