Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starter issue’s

mrbb ยท 2018-02-04 14:32

OK guys looking for suggestions have an older (1998) new holland LX 865 I am having issue's with starter , that after its started the starter keeps going, for 5-30 seconds then stops I replaced the starter with a new one, still have issue replace the key switch with a new one,thinking maybe was holding energy now wondering what else it can be??

Replies20
  1. #1Bobcat Crazy2018-02-04 18:35

    The only thing that I can think of would be if it has a separate solenoid switch. If so that would be your answer. If the starter has the solenoid built on the starter then this would not be the answer. I have known a weak battery to cause the solenoid switch to stick but normally (my experience anyway) it does not release after sticking in this scenario.

  2. #2mrbb2018-02-04 19:04

    thanks, starter has solenoid built on it, and battery is about a yr old now, and is kept on a battery tender, so always fully charged when starting

  3. #3Bobcat Crazy2018-02-04 19:22

    Ok, maybe some of these guys that really know New Hollands will chime in. That is the extent of my ideas. Wish I could have been more help. Good luck. B-Crazy

  4. #4crewchief8882018-02-04 19:22

    Even tho the starter has a solenoid, there still may be a start relay in the system . You may also have another wire on the solenoid that is a feedback signal. Possibly "sense" feedback for the fuel shutoff solenoid.

  5. #5mrbb2018-02-04 19:41

    Hey just to say, Thanks here for your idea's hope you didn't think I didn't appreciate them as I did

  6. #6mrbb2018-02-04 19:44

    I don't have a service manual for this machine, so I don't know if there is a rely in line any where if anyone know's I would much appreciate it Both new and old starter had the solenoid on the starter, so odds of both being bad, I doubt are that high? so, I think I can rule them out and the new switch,(old w=one looked like it seen better days) I think rules that out of things, battery being good, , I don't see that being a issue in this so, has to be something some where holding power some IMO, just not sure where or what/

  7. #7Bobcat Crazy2018-02-04 19:47

    No not at all. I didn't take it that way. Thanks

  8. #8Delmer2018-02-04 20:05

    Most machinery these days (like since the advent of safety nazi's) will have a start relay that will isolate the starter switch from the solenoid with the safeties tied in. I'd disconnect the small wire from the solenoid and hook it to a test light, then try starting it. The test light should light as long as you hold the key, and may keep lit for 5-30 seconds after you release like your starter is. If it does, then it's easier to track down the relay (it should click on and off) and replace it, or test it's input to see if that's the problem. IF your test light DOESN'T stay lit after the key is released, then check your harness grounds. WHENEVER you have an unexplained electrical problem, check your grounds.

  9. #9DIYDAVE2018-02-04 20:36

    Have you checked the ring gear and starter drives clearances? Might also be debris, caught up in there, too...

  10. #10JD88752018-02-05 09:58

    Behind the cab on the right side as you are sitting in the machine is a small black box. Inside that box are the relays that will power up the starter solenoid. Sounds like you have a relay sticking shut. Off hand I don't remember which one was the starter relay. Should be easy to identify by having someone trip the key while you have the cover off the box and find the one that clicks. The relays are about $30. Easy to pop in and out to replace. Good luck John

  11. #11tool_king2018-02-05 19:40
  12. #12tool_king2018-02-05 19:43

    mrbb what is your email ? I can email you the operation,parts and service .They cover L865 ,LX865, LX885 , LX985 models

  13. #13mrbb2018-02-11 12:50

    hey thanks and sorry for the delay getting back here, been busy with my mother falling on ice and problems since I'l PM you the email thanks and THANKS to all the above for help/suggestions

  14. #14TheRancher2018-02-13 17:47

    I'm having similar probs tool_king could u email the same enfo for my Lx885 [email protected]

  15. #15pajibson2018-03-20 21:58

    Tool king could you please email me the manual as well [email protected]

  16. #16tool_king2018-03-21 19:10

    I will send them over to you .

  17. #17pajibson2018-03-22 07:19

    Got it thank you very much

  18. #18chiphook2020-08-30 16:31

    Hi there, I have a 90s vintage New Holland LX865 and have been trying to locate used manuals for some time with no luck. Do know of a solution for this? Thanks in advance, Jon

  19. #19tool_king2020-08-30 18:01

    Jon whats your email .I can email them .If you want to to pm me so you email is keep private. thanks Ed

  20. #20mrbb2020-08-30 18:41

    Ok Tool King, you beat me, I just sent him a Pm/conversation, telling him I was going to send him the files you sent me LOL so, to chiphook, your in good hands with Toolkiong, he's a good guy with lots of know how and experience and info he so nicely shares! has helped me many times in the past! wish the world had more folks like him in it!