I have a Caterpillar D4H, serial number 8PB01482, with oil coming from where the starter bolts to the bell housing and the back of the solenoid. A rundown of what we have done. The motor just had an inframe rebuild kit, the turbo was replaced, The tractor was started several times, it was pulled in the shop for cosmetic work. We tried to start it, and it would just click. We hooked the batteries up to the charger and still only clicked. We noticed then that oil was coming from the starter. We pulled the starter off, and oil poured out, probably a gallon. I know that it has a wet flywheel and should have some oil. The starter is a sealed starter. I took a starter off a 3306 motor, which is a sealed starter as well, and swapped the drive housing, pinion gear, and starter clutch from the original starter to the 3306. put it back on with a new gasket, and it started right up. Still, oil is leaking from it. Checked all transmission lines, and cleaned the transmission oil cooler. Still leaking. I took a hose and bypassed the oil cool; it stopped leaking. Hooke it ack up, it started leaking. I took a borescope and looked in the oil cooler and there was no signs of foreign matter, it was fairly clean. Does anyone have an idea what the problem is or what I should look at next? Thanks
The oil is to high in housing i think that it gravity drains back to transmission check for blockage in opening or line. If it is pumped back check scavenger pump and inlet. I have had starter piece block opening.
That is correct. There is no scavenge section on the transmission pump, so any accumulated oil as a result of internal leakage of the torque converter returns to the transmission from the TC housing by gravity.