Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starter removal

Old Uncle Dave ยท 2017-12-03 13:53

Hello all, I have been absent from the forum for several years. I cant seem to get the search feature to work. It use to be rather easy. But I am a little older. And computers are younger. Any how I still have my old JD 310C. How in the world do you get to the nut on the back side of the starter. In fact I cant even see it. Any help on the starter will be appreciated as well as how to navigate "search" Thanks Old U. Dave

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2017-12-03 15:30

    Welcome to HEF @Old Uncle Dave Well somebody put it there.... it must be able to be removed. Sometimes 3/8" drive socket with a long extension & wobble end is useful to do this. Or a starter wrench, yep, there is a specific tool.

  2. #2Hobbytime2017-12-03 16:41

    I had the same problem with changing out a starter on a 1980s ford 555......to say it was a blitch to do would be kind, the 3rd bolt buried behind the starter was almost impossible to get to, I used a bunch of short socket extensions to get an arc( wish I had those cable extensions that flex abit) and very slowly got the socket on the back bolt and unscrewed it, I had to use vice grips and channel locks to spin the extensions as ratchet wouldnt fit and be able to ratchet in the tight spot...I curse some of these things, they must assemble before setting in the motor and tranny into the frame....dam engineers should be shot on sight..lol...if they were made to work in the field for 5 years before designing some of these things life would be much easier..

  3. #3hosspuller2017-12-03 23:16

    This... The wrench is a 9/16 ... the bolt may be metric but this wrench worked for me and the 310C

  4. #4hosspuller2017-12-03 23:21

    PS ... getting the bolt started was **** I taped the bolt and washer to a piece of hose. The hose was flexible enough to start the threads and then pull the hose / tape off.

  5. #5Old Uncle Dave2017-12-04 20:39

    Many thanks for all of the suggestions. However I decided to not try the back nut. I replaced the solenoid and cured my problem. The guys at the auto part house said it looked like a mid 70's GM solenoid. $19. Sure enough it was a perfect fit. I would say the whole starter is a GM. Maybe a starter person on here could verify this. Thanks again Old U. Dave

  6. #6Delmer2017-12-04 21:45

    The starter's not JD, AC Delco most likely which is sort of GM.