I am out in the field and tried to search forums. Don’t see this. Machine throwing fuel leakage code. Canister fuel filter and separator element were filthy. Changed them. Can’t get fuel to prime the system. Should lift pump pulse constantly when key switch is on but engine not running? I am thinking it pulses for 30 seconds?
From the O&M Manual........ Ensure that the key start switch is in the OFF position. Turn the engine start switch to the ON position. Note: Do not start the engine. Turning the key start switch to the ON position only starts the fuel pump. The pump will run for approximately 30 seconds.
Got back to the shop. Got my Fluke. I can’t get 12 volts at the plug for the pump. Checked fuse. It is good. Swapped relay with adjacent position. Still no pulse.
Have you tried tracing power using the schematic.?
Again. Out in the field and running back and forth to shop. Suspected I might not be making contact with Fluke probes on the female deutsch connector. Stuck two male contact pins in plug and checked voltage again. I have 12 v. Question. Would this thing have ran without lift pump if system was full of fuel? I have never heard that pulse sound since owning the machine that I can recall.
Fashioned up a harness for the pump. Put 12v power to it and it growls but no pulse. If the machine will run with a full fuel system without the lift pump I guess I have found the problem.
Most probably yes. The pump is generally only important when filling up the system after a filter change. The pump's probably clogged up with particles accumulated from the fuel over time......
Thank you. Looks like a lowly bulb would have sufficed!! In all seriousness. With the looks of my pre filter I am thinking an easily replaceable inline filter and a bulb will be my next move if the new replacement pump goes out any time soon. With a bulb you can at least prime it up and move until canister runs dry.
But that would mean they couldn't make as much moeny selling parts.....!!
And that is the truth if has ever been told.
Remember when maintenance personnel always used to bitch about having to pump the handle of a priming pump for "soooo long" to prime the system after changing fuel filters..? "As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Enter stage left the electric priming pump........
This old country boy would take a better filter and a bulb right now. Nige, thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.
I wanna play too. Serial number or pump number or separator number or images?
Play as in ?
HMC has lots of experience and info regarding filters/water separators and the like. There are many threads on the subject.
Yes sir. Just in it to win it. 2018 model. 2432 hours. I have worked on it 3x the number of hours I have ran it.
Low power, stalls, or won't start. Yeah, there was a service letter on that. Expired, of course.
And the OP's machine falls into the "Affected Product" Serial Number range of DX2-prefix machines in the range 2116-3457..........
I always like to follow up after asking for help. I replaced the lift pump and all seems to be well. I have not used the machine for an extended period yet. That is when I was getting the fuel leak alert before I changed filters and replaced the lift pump. I don’t think the lift pump has ever been operational since owning the machine. A couple of notes. Upon starting I noticed the fuel/water separator never fills completely up. I just get a waterfall type flow in the canister. Second, after a short period of operation the pre-filter ahead of the lift pump already looks dirty. The fuel tank must have a good amount of crud in it.
You has type 1.
And that would probably have been the best place to start the system cleanout but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Yes sir. The pre-filter is showing dirt. The separator/filter is the one I described as not filling but showing a water fall type action. At rest it is about 1/3 full of fuel.
Thinking I might go ahead and tackle draining and flushing the tank. Any suggestions on process?
I thought you had an O&M Manual.? Process is fairly simple. Get the fuel level pretty low, locate the tank drain underneath (it will be in one of two possible locations), park the machine overnight with the tank slightly inclined towards the drain location, then remove the drain plug carefully. Be prepared with sufficient containers to catch whatever is in the tank.
Yes sir. That gets it drained but it needs a good flush after that.
Pressure washer via the filler neck.? That appears to be the only option if the tank is not going to be removed. The fuel level sensor #3 in the other side of the tank is also removable.