Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

starting out

jprefect ยท 2017-01-02 10:48

I have a chance to maybe going out on my own doing underground sewer and water and wanted to ask what your thoughts where as far as timing. do you think its a good time or bad timing? I see that everybody is very busy, then I read articles says that their are huge drops in residential and other construction. I'm in the Detroit metro area. I plan on going out further and doing what ever it takes but I don't want to go under at all. Sorry if put this in the wrong area. Thanks jeremy

Replies4
  1. #1tbone14712017-01-02 13:20

    In my area we are dead. Finished up a job in the fall and haven't found much since then. I refuse to lower my prices and maybe that has something to do with our lack of small work. But I am not working to turn money. On the opposite side big contractors are swamped. Many job over 1 million. I go after the sub 1 million work and it just isn't there. I don't think we will really see any developments until after the changes in the white house. There is a lot of uncertainty right now, as with any election year. If I were you I would have a lot of money in the bank or wait and see what happens over the next 6 to 12 months then make a decision.

  2. #2jprefect2017-01-03 14:51

    Thanks for your input. There is a lot to consider. I'm kinda surprised no one else has any input.

  3. #3movindirt2017-01-03 20:14

    x2 on what tbone said, I'd wait a while and see what happens in the spring.

  4. #4Vetech632017-01-03 20:38

    Wait till the 3rd quarter this year. The new administration will be in office and some new, and changed policy should spur quick economic growth. Confidence will be high, which will increase opportunities!