anyone have good success with any kind of implement to smooth out hog damage in grassy areas??
I would start with an AR-15 mounted on a tripod.
good deal, want a job??
I would use a vibrating roller.
Tannerite in their food makes for some fun! We slaughter them on ocsasion when we can figure out their pattern. They sure trashed a hay meadow we used to bale. I'd like some night vision and a suppressed rifle. As far as fixing it some of ours were so bad we had to haul fill, level and seed. Some of the others we disked it up, ran the field cultivator over it and it was good enough. All depends how bad it is. They sure like to come undo your work though.... Junkyard
WOW I thought we were just talking about hoof prints!!
338 Lapua on a tri-pod and someone else buying the ammo..
.308 works well on piggies. Locally we had a pig farm go broke 8 years ago and now Fish and Wildlife is finding feral pigs in that area. (bushy wild boar things) A good friend of mine with the F&W has been working as a "door gunner" in a F&W chartered helicopter using a Springfield M1A, and doing quite well. It sucks that he cant get me in as free help. :beatsme
I wish I lived closer to you. I would love to burn a couple thousand rounds on those pigs. We had pigs on the little ol farm I grew up on in the late 40s and into the 60s. Dam could they make a mess. Junkyards method with the disk and field cultivator is extreme , but its about all you can do if they have been rooting very much.
In TX you can charter a chopper to do that. Man that'd be fun. Heck I'd use my ole Red Ryder if I had to!
That tannerite sounds just like the ticket... Warning, the video below is not mine, if you are offended by flyin hog parts, do not watch, complain to the site, etc. I didn't do it, produce it, and no more or less hogs will be blown to smithereens, if you watch it, or not... https://youtu.be/y0ss6gCPNs4
Worst part about repairing their damage is it turns into a vicious cycle. Plow down and smooth their rooting and you've just rang the dinner bell and called them BACK to some nice easy to root ground! Thinning them out and running them off temporarily is about the only way to keep their damage to a minimum. I had a quick scattered tree clearing job in my skid steer over the weekend on some blackland they had destroyed and it will the end of this week before my back quits hurting. I would be more than happy to touch off a big load of tannerite in the middle of porky and all his little offspring! They'll look like the worm in Tremors after Earl gives one a dynamite pill!
That's a good round too, even .223 with the right ammo. However it would much more fun with a 338.:tong
After seeing a coyote blasted at 500 yards with a .338... I would have to agree. The shooter I was with was an expert at judging wind and yardage. One shot...
After a chance meeting in a barbershop I found some pig hunting property in N. California about 7 years ago. I was "commissioned" by a couple wine growers in the Fairfield area to eradicate some hogs. They had depradation permits with me listed as the hunter so I could hunt them day or night. Its gets pretty exciting when a dozen or so are running at you between the wine rows and you drop your light. I must have made a bunch of silly noises because by the time i picked it up and got it back on they were going the other way. A bought my barrel mounted Surefire military light after that. One night about midnight I killed a 450 pound Russian Boar,(300 Weatherby) and after butchering started back on my way to town. I got cornered by a surprise roadblock and surrounded by 4 county squad cars and multiple officers. Never was blinded from so many different directions in my life. Seems a neighbor got the crap scared out of him from the shot and called in the troops. All was good once they found out what I was up to and verified my permit. I was sure to keep my hands in plain site when they approached my truck from all sides with weapons drawn. Turns out a escaped murderer had been caught in the yard of the neighbor a few years earlier and he was a bit gun shy. I got 8 pigs in 4 months and the rest left and were not back yet when I finished the project 18 months later. I would love to come and help you with your problem.
More fun, maybe, but that's basically chucking $5 bills at them. Night hog hunts look fun, but i can't swing the NOD/Laser.
When I lived in Texas, I hunted the big hogs from tree stands when they came in to the bait (corn). They would come in quantity so I shot the largest first since they were the wisest and thus hardest to trap. Largest I shot was around 300 pounds. Seldom could I get a shot at more than one, as I'm not a very fast shot. Trapping was much more effective, but the larger wiser ones were wary. I trapped as many as 14 hogs at a time. Trapping was even more fun than hunting them. I built a large pen out of panels six feet high, 50 x 30 feet and hung a feeder in the middle. I didn't set the trap until I had their confidence, which took about 3 weeks. At first only the young and dumb would come in, each time they fed, there were more. I never trapped one larger than 200 pounds, though.
I don't know how tough the feral domestic hogs are, but the Russian strain of hogs have a thick layer of tallow like armor on either side stretching from the back of the head to behind the vitals. The 450 pounder I shot with my 300 Weatherby using 190 grain Hornady SPBT did not have a exit hole on the far side on a 40 yard neck shot. The bullet was lodged against the inside of the exit side hide.
Yep, that's why I first said this -
the damage is at a camp in east texas, we dont get to go there but about once a month. our 84 year old woman neighbor is the the most successful trapper in the area, but they populate much faster than you can imagine. she soaks her corn in diesel so the other vermits dont eat it first, but the hogs still love it. she makes sure i call them hogs and not pigs.