Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Starting out questions

7060 ยท 2014-04-07 00:27

I am thinking about getting into some custom work and had a few questions. I am a farmer and have 2 dozers and a track hoe already and have quite a bit of experience with them. From time to time I get offered jobs and thought I might start doing a little bit of non-commercial work. First off I probably need insurance. From what I've read is 1 million enough and how much would a policy like that run per year? What is the going hourly rate for a d6h? I was thinking $125 an hour? Is there anything else I might need to know?

Replies2
  1. #170602014-04-08 20:12

    Nobody?

  2. #2LT-x72014-04-08 21:47

    Most states require you to have a contractors license to do work like this, might want to look into this in you state. Out here its not horribly hard to get if you can prove you have the experience in the field your going for. $125 a hour sounds like its in the ballpark for a 6h to me, but its hard to say because I'm nowhere near you. If I remember right I pay about $2500 a year for liability insurance. I personally wouldn't consider working without it.