I've had a dozer for several years but find that a lot of time I could use an excavator. This would be primarily for farm use and I'm thinking a 35-45,000 lb machine so it's not too difficult to move. Would also like a hydraulic thumb. Not having experience on one it's difficult for me to judge the condition of things like bucket, stick, & boom pins, as well as how much slack in swing gear is too much. What's the usual no of hrs to expect hyd pump issues? A lot of people using Deere and Cat machines around here. Any recommendations for brand/ model? Local cat dealer has a 320c with 8500hr but seems a little high on price. TIA
at 8500 hours I wouldn't get near it unless it has a 54 page maintenence report that came with it. I've had some luck with higher hour machines, but I knew who had them before me, and the price was right.
what are they asking for that 320 35-40k?
That wouldn't be a bad deal, anything over 60k and one major part fails and your upside down with your investment.
I think it was $67k which is why I said high priced. Does have a thumb though.
I guess I should also have asked if there are brands to stay away from.
Easier to answer brand to look for. Hitachi 1st or older JD which were JD powered Hitachis. Komatsu 2nd. Caterpillar are away down on my list and have never made my good list.
I've run all 4 of my 322b machines out to over 20k hours with nothing but hoses, repacked swivels, and travel duocones, save for one swing motor. But, no one is fond of high hour 3116 motors. They're either good or bad.
As for the 320C, the only major inspection point above a normal inspection is to thoroughly examine the boom for cracks, especially between the boom jacks and the main boom pin. All of my 320c and 321c machines cracked the boom there, as well as my 330c and 324 machines.
They listed the boom bushings as having 3/16" slack....seems like quite a bit but I don't know what's acceptable.