Does anyone know the statute of limitations for paying a bill if you've not received a single bill in the mail, email or anything ever, no its not a bogus question, believe it or not, I do business with a place, that hasn't sent me a single bill in over nine years. At first it wasn't bad, been doing business with them for over 30 years and after a death in the ownership, the place has gone downhill somewhat over time in the last decade. At first it was a mission to pay the bill before years end, but we'd get it done, go in two weeks before the end of the year, tell the bookkeeper I'd be back in a few days have it ready and I'd pay it, usually take a few try's, taking a week to a week and a half but I'd get it done before the end of the year. That was up until about 10 years ago, so I'd try a different tactic, every month I'd ask for a bill at least once while in there, never got one the whole year, so tried plan A again just before the end of the year, didn't happen, didn't get that bill paid that year, they never had it figured out so I could, and the next few years were about the same, didn't get it done anytime though out the year for the next few years. So we fast forward a few years and I asked my attorney what to do about it, his reply was if they send you one, bring it in, but he up and died on me a few years ago before I ever got a bill, so when I was in another attorney's office, I asked him.................after he got done laughing, since he didn't believe me at first................he quit laughing when he realized I was serious, he said he'd have to check for me, that was a few years ago, never really got much of an answer and the question was asked of me again this week, when's the last time you received a bill from that place, being asked by a customers of mine at the time, I told him the truth, its been over nine years ago, how about you, he said he couldn't remember and neither could his wife, she gave up trying to pay the place and was so disgusted she quit going back to even ask for a bill. So does anyone know for sure, I've been told its five years, others have asked me and I don't know for sure, mainly about the same business.
Your mileage may vary, but I always heard it was 7 years. Sorry, but I too was laughing while reading this. All of our vendors are so eager to send invoices, that some of them get here before the products do. Never have I seen a problem like this before, and I'm still wondering how they keep the doors open. lol
That's pretty much the same response I get from most, as to how the doors stay open, lets say the backers have very deep pockets and can swing it, but everyone asks is "why" do they do it, can't begin to answer that one, I've been asking it myself for decades now, but the kicker is, they do great quality work.
Are you still using their service's?
That's a new one on my too Randy. Check your State laws on the statutes, they vary from state to state. I wish I had that kind of money but if I did I would still bill like clockwork.
Yes I still do business with them, but try to limit the amount as much as I can.
Is this goods? Services? I would keep the money in a separate account in case you get called on it it wont hurt as much.
" There's no law in this country that says you have to open your own mail !" (Yet Lol) That was a quote that came to mind when I read this post.. It was said by a business man friend, don't remember what we were talking about. I understand if you have a contract with a cellphone company it's in your best interest to open it. Me; " oh yes wife tried to pay that. ...she's been throwing it in the garbage for several years. "
I have a machine shop here that is that way... I always settle up with them at the end of the year & take them a ham for a xmas gift but it seems like it gets harder to get a bill out of them every year.. then I got another supply house here that sends me a bill for things I never got/use in the first place!!!
I've had similar incidents. Picked up a starter and later an alternator and never received a statement. Called the business to tell them and was told they would take care of it. Didn't hear from them for several months until I received a statement with a note that it was being sent to the collectors. Paid the bill and now they put me on C.O.D. Also had it once that a business sent out a part that they said was a direct replacement, so I installed it. Several weeks later the operators complained that it wasn't operating right. So back to the dealer and it took them several more weeks to figure out the correct part. Meanwhile, the end of the month came and went and I was not going to pay for wrong parts. As soon as everything was correct I paid my bill, but not soon enough for the office so now I'm on COD with them.
AlldayRJ, I have no idea what I owe them, I've never seen bill, invoice or anything else, over time I've probably forgotten most of what it is I even got done there or purchased there, it would be impossible to even guess as to what I may owe them. FSERVICE, at least I'm not alone, most can't believe in this day and age there are some out there that still operate like this.
I would get a copy of estimate or work order each time, then mail a check off that, then settle up down the road, a statement for 9 years in the mail box might ruin your day. I had an account kind of like that then one day I got a statement from the magistrate, bal due plus interest and fees, seems like their pencil gets real sharp all of a sudden.
I'm not sure its accurate or not, but I was always told that no interest, fee's or anything can be put on until after the "first" bill has been sent out, from then on legally its just a percentage rate per month after that, if it takes months, years or whatever to get the first bill out, nothing before that counts or can be figured in. At least that's what my attorney's have told me the reason is to get off my butt and send out monthly statements on time for my own business. I know when I went to collect on my accounts receivables, I have to prove in court that monthly bills have indeed been sent out, with interest figured in each month, also on my first bill, it has to state somewhere unless paid in full, there will be an interest rate and fee's applied to later bills, otherwise I can't collect those fees or interest in court.
Yes, I learned to read all that small lettering.
I would ready myself to pay up on that bill, it will come someday and if you never presented any objections to the service they did for you they will be able to enforce the billing. I would be inclined to get it resolved asap and at least see where you stand in terms of an amount they have on their books. Being proactive with them may allow a payment agreement with no service or finance charges over a reasonable time frame that would be painless verses a huge immediate demand full amount payment; and let alone involving attorney fees for both parties.