Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Staying “warm” on our 8’s this winter…

MoparPA · 2017-01-02 15:05

This was a first for me. Gives you an all new appreciation for the old timers and how they toughed it out back in the day. Surprisingly, if guys took care of the canvas's and zippered them back up at night so the wind didn't catch them and kept the "glass" clean, it wasn't that bad. Definitely a wind breaker and better than nothing.

Replies8
  1. #1MoparPA2017-01-02 15:08
  2. #2Tinkerer2017-01-02 15:28

    Did you look at the radiator fan and to see if it is reversible ? Sorry, I had to ask. Cover those perforated side shields and it will make a big difference.

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2017-01-02 16:13

    The old cats with side curtains and reversible fan would keep you nice and toasty!! Mike

  4. #4DoyleX2017-01-02 19:37

    That boot would be twisted around and toasty warm if that was my dash it was on....

  5. #5Dickjr.2017-01-02 23:45

    I've used heat tubes before and it beats having nothing. I didn't have the vinyl enclosure. I got a sleeping bag , unzipped it and put the tube under it, everything was warm except my face which was exposed. Got a little heat spilling out the tube though. What type work is being performed?

  6. #6MoparPA2017-01-03 03:44

    The mechanic did something…its blowing warm air. And thanks, I'm sure you're right…been meaning to cover them up.

  7. #7MoparPA2017-01-03 03:51

    Interesting, D1ck. ill have to give that a try. And you're right, its better than nothing. The 8's are being used for a variety of things. There's 6 all together on there job. 2 are usually in a fill with the belly dumps and end dumps, 2 more are with the hoes helping them out in the rock and the other 2 are pushing scrapers in a cut (which the scrapers have been shut down for the winter)

  8. #8MoparPA2017-01-03 03:53

    I agreed, bud! Not my machine. The op that normally runs it was out and any chance i get to jump on that L i do : )