Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steam power, Western Mn.

milling_drum ยท 2009-09-05 22:13

A local gathering of equipment, most all of it running.

Replies8
  1. #1milling_drum2009-09-05 22:19

    My picture taking is awful...

  2. #2dozerdave2009-09-05 22:54

    Hi milling drum, Interesting pictures, thank you. I pulled a harvester one season with a 60 Cat. The one I operated didn't have what looks like a cover over the flywheel. Those are the thinnest rails I have ever seen.

  3. #3willie592009-09-05 23:15

    Cool pics milling drum. I like the Allis Chalmers HD-5. I used to run a drill mounted on the side of an HD-6. It wasn't as old as that one...but it weren't far from it!

  4. #4Hendrik2009-09-06 07:17

    You mean a wheel driven harvester? I have heard of these beasts but never seen one in action, seen a lot of PTO drive ones but never operated one.

  5. #5RocksnRoses2009-09-06 09:13

    I have pulled a wheel driven harvester with a D4 that we had. The old man sat on the harvester steering it, operating the mechanical comb lift and the foot brake, if you were going downhill, because it was hooked to the tractor with a chain link and a big compression spring to take the jerk out, when going over rough country, because the harvester had steel wheels. I had to be careful starting, because the harvester was driven with a fairly big flat leather belt and if I jerked, it would flick the belt off and the old man would roar blue murder, because he had to get off and put the belt back on. When he pulled it with a rubber tyred tractor, he had an extension steering wheel attached to the tractor steering wheel and a rope tied to a lever which operated the clutch. I think he must have set the throttle before starting and would have used the harvester brake if he need to stop. We still have it sitting down in the scrub, it is an Sunshine AL and it also has a beater front. Interesting pics, milling_drum. Rn'R.

  6. #6dozerdave2009-09-06 18:16

    Hi Guys, No the harvester was a tin Holt if I remamber right. We called what I think you are refuring to a ground power harvester because it had no engine. This Holt had a 4 cylinder engine on it. Harris, Holt, Caterpillar and John Deere were popular brands then. Push harvesters or self propelled were popular for the flat ground and rice fields. There was a 3 man crew on the harvester. The guy that ran the harvester, a header tender and a sack sewer.

  7. #7Hendrik2009-09-07 06:19

    Sort of like this? http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/dgwparfitt/images/Holt10Ton_Casterton05_1a.jpg http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/dgwparfitt/images/Holt75_Casterton05_1a.jpg This looks like a ground driven one http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/FindingAids/dynaweb/calher/jvac/figures/j11DG-753A.jpg

  8. #8RocksnRoses2009-09-07 07:23

    All of those have engines, Hendrik, this is a ground drive harvester. http://digital.library.adelaide.edu...40/49389/1/Horse-drawn Sunshine Harvester.jpg Rn'R.