Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel hydraulic line inside my Lull boom?

Speedpup ยท 2009-06-13 19:06

While greasing a Lull in the yard a steel hydraulic line popped a hole from rust. The line is 3/8" approximately and 12' long. Can a hydraulic hose place make a new one or should I get one from Lull? It may not be available from Lull :beatsme as it is a machine that went out of production in 1989. am sure shipping something 12' long is expensive also. There are three in the boom so I guess I should dump all three. I have an 85, 86, and 87 so I may get nine new ones. Lull assembled the machines then painted them so the top of the lines never got painted. When I repainted the machines in 92 I tried to paint the lines on top but it only takes one oin hole to make a failure. Thanks for your help and recommendations.:drinkup

Replies12
  1. #1qball2009-06-13 20:24

    your local cat dealer can probably make new lines if they are not available from lull.

  2. #2willie592009-06-13 20:53

    My local hose shop keeps 20 ft lengths of the different size tubes. I've taken them some fairly weird tubes with multiple bends and what not. I tell them I'd rather pay them to deal with the bends in the tubes because, IMO, a tubing bender is the worlds most confusing tool. :dizzy

  3. #3Speedpup2009-06-14 06:35

    sounds great guys! Moreland Hose has 3-4 locations and 4-5 guys in each place on Long Island so I guess he does steel too. I'll check to see if they have a wbe site. I just never remember seeing a steel line go out the door when I was there over the years.

  4. #4John C.2009-06-14 12:58

    Most hose houses sell compression fittings for the ends of tubing now days. The place I deal with also has the benders. I used to make weld on fittings and make my own. Tubing is less expensive than hose and real easy to bent. If the tubes are to be mounted externally I formed them in place. Internal tubes are a diffent problem though. Good Luck!

  5. #5Nac2009-06-14 14:33

    yes hose shop can make it been there done it. American hose has a location in the Bronx i think they do all my work.

  6. #6Speedpup2009-06-14 21:00

    Looked on Moreland web site and they show Weatherhead and all the steel, stainless steel, and copper tubing so I guess they do steel thanks for the help!:drinkup Never ends fix this fix that Now I need to do all three Lulls. Nine lines:Banghead

  7. #7willie592009-06-14 21:29

    On the bright side...at least your capable of fixing them. Imagine if you had to pay someone else to do all these repairs. :drinkup

  8. #8Speedpup2009-06-15 17:55

    Their not done yet Yep if I had to pay someone to do everything it would be thousands and thousands, Before the winter I hope to replace a majority of the seals on the three 844's. Can't imagine what it would cost. Then a bunch of hoses will be going to be changed also. I enjoy doing it most of the time. This Sunday it was brakes on my dooley front pads the sixth set in 125,000. Autozone life time warranty on pads all free ecept the first set. I guess that's why many have to dump the machine if the have to pay standard labor rates which are 100+ here. And of course I get a ton of help on this forum and you are always taking a ton of time to help a stranger (me). NY Awaits if you want to visit one day. We have the room.

  9. #9willie592009-06-15 22:47

    And I certainly hope to take you up on that offer one day. I reckon an old boy from East Tennessee would love a stay on Long Island.

  10. #10OneWelder2009-06-16 14:48

    I am not a Lull person - 3/8 s seems small but if it is correct you can probably get 3/8 brake line from heavy duty parts supplier or probably Napa

  11. #11Speedpup2009-06-16 18:32

    I wish I lived in the South many many people up here are rude, inconsiderate, and and and..... Call for parts in the South they bend over backwards to help you and when I hang up I am smiling. Call local dealer and I feel like reaching through the phone to give him a lesson in manners, just very basic ones they lack. Not all bad here in NY but to many forsure, Bought all my Lulls down south and all my parts continue to come from there. Raced offshore boats for years from MI to FL 1984-2000 that is when I realized many in NY are:spaz Go to Limerock CT and it's like another planet and pleasant. Then you have the women on LI when I was younger and dating ________________________! I only need one good one and I found that here in NY If my parents were not buried here I would be in NC in a nano second. Any time you just have to be able to bare two ten pound dogs and two bigger mutts all mush bags. Rant over sorry ointhead

  12. #12Speedpup2009-06-16 18:34

    Thanks the hose guy makes them I called him 1/4"-3/4" They may be 7/16-1/2" outside diameter. Thanks for the help.