Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel tracks coming back?

DMiller ยท 2017-08-16 13:19

There have been several in my area medium to larger Cat and other skid steers I have seen with steel shoes and steel rails. Someone getting tired of replacing rubber? Iron rails last longer?

Replies8
  1. #1PJ The Kid2017-08-16 14:31

    Going to follow this. Have been thinking about steel tracks with rubber cleats for a couple machines around here if they even exist.

  2. #2DMiller2017-08-16 21:06

    Saw a Bobcat 300 series with steel rails steel shoes and rubber bolt on cleats so they could work on pavement, then saw the Cat with steel. Must be making a comeback.

  3. #3DMiller2017-08-16 21:34

    Did some digging, found this:

  4. #4Canadian_digger2017-08-16 21:50

    Not sure if you are talking CTL or excavators or both. Just did my cat 308.

  5. #5DMiller2017-08-17 06:18

    Both

  6. #6movindirt2017-08-17 13:32

    Cat has been offering a steel undercarriage for the 299 compact track loader for a few years now, last I heard it was a $20k option though..

  7. #7DMiller2017-08-17 19:24

    OUCH! I wonder why I am seeing so many with them then? Bargained for?

  8. #8movindirt2017-08-17 20:46

    I heard the tracks are supposed to go 5k hours before needing work, comparing that to around 1,200 to 1,500 hours for a set of rubber tracks I could see where it would possibly save money to run the steel tracks.