Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steel vs Rubber Over Tire Tracks for snow removal

ptwyo ยท 2014-09-09 09:28

In the process of buying a '98 Cat 246C with snow blower and need some advice regarding which is the best option for traction. Currently moving to the mountains and will need to blow heavy snow on dirt/gravel road with steep incline as well as do misc dirt work around the property. The locals have recommended both over tire tracks tracks and chains on the tires so I thought I would check with some of the experts on here for advice. I have looked at the Loegering steel tracks, Mclaren, Camoplast in both rubber/steel/steel with pads but am new to this game. Feedback is appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1blowerman2014-09-09 21:51

    Chain up regular skiddy tires... Metal tracks and you'll slide faster than a round saucer at a sledding hill. Rubber tracks aren't much better.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-09-09 21:57

    Seen one last winter in a hospital parking lot with a bit narrower snow tire tread on the tires. They were studded with regular winter studs in them. The operator said they were a smoother ride and grabbed as good as chains.

  3. #3gyman982014-09-10 00:45

    Chains over tracks for sure. If you can get chains with the added traction devices (jewellery some people call it) get them. I usually just chain my rear tires but all 4 will help on the slopes plus much cheaper then tracks

  4. #4Randy882014-09-10 07:10

    I'll second blowerman's comment

  5. #5Swannny2014-09-10 08:08

    There are variables in this equation which makes broad-brushing it with a 'metal tracks suck in the snow' difficult to agree. Snow type and track configuration make a huge difference. Some tracks like Grouser's hard track (big wide cleat) would suck in snow - wet snow tends to get packed between the tire and track which stresses the bolts, and the wide cleats tend to skate on the packed snow/ice. Grouser's bar tracks do much better in the snow with allowing the snow to fall out of the tracks, and bite the snow better (my friend leaves his on in the winter). But they do tend to slide sideways on slopes. Not that good on iced surfaces. I've had these from Mclaren and they do well in the snow/ice, much less likely to slide laterally since they have cleats/teeth that bite. http://mclarenusa.com/over-the-tire-tracks/maximizer-ott.html There are other manufacturers of similar designs. Check out ebay. I've run chains on all fours. No doubt they do well, but in deeper snow the right OTT track will have much better traction. Don't have any experience with rubber OTT tracks, but do have a lot with the MTL and CTL in snow.

  6. #6ptwyo2014-09-10 17:10

    Thanks for the feedback guys, I do like the look of the cleats on the Mclaren tracks better than the straight bars.

  7. #7dozerman4002014-09-15 20:50

    I vote chains, tracks on paving vibrates the whole cab loose'