Truck is a 1992 Ford L9000 dump truck, 3406C, 8LL. The left side steering gear is (has been) leaking from the input, and maybe elsewhere as well. Does anybody have any preferred suppliers or good parts guys somewhere that knows these gears? I find steering gears that may match or be close on the parts numbers from various random internet sources, but I know from my automotive repair days that the gears all look the same but they aren't. The stamping on the gear reads "Hydra Steer" TAS65289 The intermediate shaft is loose where it clamps the the input on the gear, it flops close to a quarter inch, which doesn't seem right . . . pickups don't do that anyway. Where might one look for a replacement intermediate shaft for a truck that the manufacturer turned their back on 20 years ago?
You mean the sector shaft it self, or where the pitman arm clamps to the sector?
https://mrsteeringspecialist.com/product/trw-hfb642978-steering-gear-fit-ford-year-1979-to-1990/ Wonder if this is close. I would mark the position, pull the arm off the sector, and see if the spline is worn. Maybe the box is fine and you can replace the pitman arm. Personally I wouldn't just tighten the bolt without checking for wear. But that's just back yard wrench pullin talk
The pitman arm is fine, I am talking about the input shaft, coming from the steering wheel. That link looks close, I need to look into it more tomorrow.
Didn't read your post close enough. The pitman arm kinda jumped out at me . Sorry. But I wouldn't mess around with it if you can afford a new box, I would get it.
I had a 90 LT 9000 truck that had a steering gear box on the left and a hydraulic cylinder on the right side. I got a used axle from a 92, I believe, I thought I could mount it the same as the 90, but couldn't go that route as the brake slack adjusters would interfere with the cylinder. I got ahold of the used truck place and told them I would need a right steering gear. They said it would not work right with the left one from the 90 truck. I bought two used gears, right and left from the same junk truck. The left one from the 92 looked the same as the 90, but were different part numbers. I had no trouble using the used steering gears. FWD
You hit the worst area for parts concerning obsolete trucks---steering. Like I tell anyone looking--it's where you stumble on parts, steering gears and column/shaft are some of the most picked through parts in salvage yards. Most yards are only buying older used trucks by 1/4 of scrap value, they know most of what they are buying is worn out very little value left. Good luck on your hunt.
Agree with what TS said, not only is the used supply limited, but the people looking for the parts are not willing to pay much for the parts. There used to be shops that rebuilt steering gears on demand, but a lot of thoses shops are gone. FWD
I think you're saying the box itself is bad? Not the shaft coming to it? There's a place in indiana and another in texas that rebuild boxes. My local fleet pride took care of my last one, in that they sent it off and returned. The one I did before that, I sent it off myself. I can get info of where my boxes went if you need it.
The box works, but it's leaking. It has been leaking for years, but I try to stay ahead of this stuff so it doesn't go down in the summer. The shaft from the steering wheel to the box I think it bad as well, where the splined female shaft slides onto the pump input it flops around pretty good, maybe up to 1/4". I haven't taken it apart yet, but flop like that generally isn't healthy for either side. Any info on rebuilders would be appreciated. Does anybody know about this outfit: hydrasteer It seems it is a Canadian outfit, but I don't know if they are an OEM or a service group. Not sure if it is viable to send stuff across the border or not. They indicate they service or manufacture steering shafts, which I think is the harder part here to replace. The looseness I am referring to is in the yoke that slides over the input just a little to the left of the blue fuel line in this picture: View attachment KIMG0845.JPG
Weller did my last sheppard box. I can't find where fleet pride sent my last box for them, but I'm pretty sure it was in texas. The shop that did my mack box in texas is evidently no longer in business. Or doesn't do any "walk in" customers any more. Home | Weller Truck Parts | Weller Reman wellertruck.com
A 1/4" of play on that input is way way past tolerance. Pull it apart and see if its the splines on the ujoint, or the shaft or the box is jacked up.
TAS-000001 is the input shaft seal kit-worth a try. ----For the steering shaft/yokes-I have had resort to using a PacCar male/female slip shafts and cut them down to make a new shaft, only a typical 4 spline.
If the play is in the lower part of the yoke that actually attaches to input shaft tightening or even better replacing the pinch bolt recommended. If it's the u-joint slam a new one in should be easy enough to source. While you've got that mess apart replace the seal, pull that plastic dust shield off, remove the split ring that holds the seal in, remove the return line from box and plug port with capped JIC fitting or similar pressure holding gadget, place shop rag over seal and pan underneath box (do not forget this step) Start truck, quickly cycle steering wheel left or right, should pop seal right out, clean, reinstall. Probably most important be sure to mark, time everything when you take it apart and DON'T turn the steering while apart, tie up with seat belt if necessary, chances are that truck has a clock spring under steering wheel don't wanna mess with timing on that either.
So, I have a question. I found the input shaft on the gear to be rather worn from the steering shaft being loose. The splines were fairly rough on both the input and the yoke. I found a reman source for the gear, but they won't warranty the gear unless both the gears are replaced at the same time. This truck has a slave gear on the passenger side. The slave gear doesn't leak, and as far as performance goes there has not been any problems with the steering system at all, except for the leaking and spline wear on the driver's side gear. I am not experienced with heavy truck steering systems, and pickups don't have dual steering gears, so my question is; should both gears be replaced together? I have dealt with enough crummy reman components to be a little wary of going with a box that the supplier won't stand behind. Is this standard procedure for dual gear systems?
It can be--for the fact you have a steering gear on one side that has tighter tolerances from being rebuilt-the other is the worry of contamination from the old box on other side.
Ah well, guess I kinda saw that coming . . .
The slave gear is operated only with hydraulics, right? That wouldn't bother me at all to reuse, even if it starts leaking, it's all hydraulic so simpler than the one you're replacing now. But then I'd reseal the one you have like Stinky says, unless you can't figure a fix for the sloppy input joint. On the one hand, you don't want to take any chances with that part, on the other hand, it is low torque and low speed so something that could be repaired a couple ways.
And it's also a steering part with the highest liability. Brakes and Steering.