What's everyones favorite chassis for a tandem axel water truck? And Why? Everything we currently have is Freightliner, but I am always open to new thoughts. https://watertrucksupply.com/
I prefer big tata’s. But, you do you, bou.
Welcome to the Forums Equipment Guy. Take a moment to read the Forum rules - Heavy Equipment Forums Rules and Posting Guidelines Heavy Equipment Forums Membership Rules and Guidelines Site Objective It is the intent of this site’s administration to offer professionals of the heavy equipment industry a forum and a comfortable enjoyable environment in which to exchange ideas, questions, answers and comments regarding... HeavyEquipmentForums Especially this portion - This is your introductory thread, any other posts or threads about your business will be dealt with as spam. FWIW I enjoy the extreme prejudice part when it comes to spam.
Nothing wrong with tatas more then a handful is wasteful tho
I've driven several tandem water trucks at 80 bbl (3360 gallon) and the chassis depends on the service. What year range you looking for? Typically I would recommend a Pete with Pete air in the rear as they offer the best ride but it suffers with off road handling as you will spin the rear axle easy and get stuck. With careful driving in the mudd it's fine and this gives you the best all around truck. If you drive a lot of road or in mudd and snow conditions a typical walking beam truck is excellent but you suffer unloaded on the ride. I've driven a few macks and if this was 1998 I'd tell you to get one of those, but anymore with expensive replacement parts and the newer trucks suck I'd stay away. The last truck I drove was a 1998 CL with a e7 460, nice old truck that road well with camel back. Macks can have 3 ptos for a Bowie pump, vac pump, and a high pressure pump. As far as manufacturers go you just need to go with whatever severe duty truck you want to go with. My friend bought a new Western star with a dd15 for his new truck, went all hydraulic for the pumps which is the way to go anymore.
Personally, I prefer any old off highway log truck. Most seem to have shop built tanks which seem to exhibit some mechanic's inner artist. All are highly functional, but the "accoutrements" are just cool. I realize I'm being rather specific, since they are all pretty much fire tankers. A construction site water truck is just so "ho-hum."
Ran a T800 with a 3406 and 13 speed. Was an awesome truck. Took a bit of learning on PTO speed to water launching distance as to not get Anchorage traffic and walkers too annoyed. Muffler fell off at some point so was lovely to let freedom ring on the Jake as to not smoke the brakes. Have one with little CAT (10 liter?) and 9 speed at another job. Forget what model Pete or KW, short nose Does ok, but it's pretty slow with 5000 gallons. Another job have 3 Internationals with DT466s. Slow but brick **** house sturdy. Leak sprung, only "comfort" is an air ride seat.
Our asphalt service trucks have always had a large tank of watering the rollers. They have always been equipped with a spreader bar just in case. We have a single axle S line international with an old underground storage tank. For years, the tank was in the dump bed, but it was adapted to be tank on frame. At one point, they welded the tale gate on a gravel box, and put a top on it. It kinda rotates onto tandems as they retire from the road. Most larger jobs we have a couple of tanker trailers. We park a tridem tanker on paving jobs so the service truck can get clean water for paving. It also has a spreader bar if needed. We have an old style tandem tanker trailer with a spreader bar for watering. When paired with an old Sterling tractor, it can turn pretty tight.
I get to choose? Here in the Seattle area it is usually the most cobbed out rusted out POS with questionable brakes, a seat that is more hole than seat, and it goes from job to job on a lowboy because it would never ever be roadworthy. Not gunna miss that at all. No I'm not bitter, I'M NOT! Oh only 1 nozzle works right and you have to park it in the right place so it does not leak itself into the mud too.
Right here---this leaks like a sieve, has springs sticking up through the seat to tickle your ***. The Star Car. *
Is that a White on the left. My uncle had one that exact color. He used to haul wood.
1973 White Western Star--water truck. Only pic I had of it.
Some guy says he knows water trucks and does not know about victaulics is full if it.
Any truck with a tank on it should have them.
I've seen some new Hertz rental single axles that had no adjustability what-so-ever. Totally worthless for anything but the hose reel and tankering.
All the cool kids are using Quik-Vic's these days. Potable Water trucks in Southern Ontario seem to only come in one of two varieties. It's either a clapped out old rust bucket of a truck that is on it's third or fourth vocation with a total mismatch of hoses and fittings and a drive that looks like he is still serving weekends at the local jail. Or the other type of truck you see is a shined up, polished stainless and chicken light covered shagging wagon that must never leave virgin pavement, despite it appearing off road on a site. Custom paint and chrome wheel caps. These are generally piloted by guys who look like they do a lot of farming. One extreme or the other, nothing in the middle.
As an operator with CDL I was supposed to know the wierding ways of the water wagons and just know how to sort out all the mismatched and unlabeled crap. have hydrant wrench will travel. The funniest one was NW Cascade had one with a 3208. I got in it and it had a spun rod bearing that sounded like a barking sealion in the crankcase. I shut it off and tell the boss, then the mechanic shows up and I tell him but he just has to hear it for himself. Then they start it for a 3rd time to load it on the lowboy. I was wondering if they wanted to skylight the block.
3208-----.
| | | V
Speaking of Vics, I just placed a big order for 2” & 3”. Genuine model 75 & 77 galvanized with nitrile “T” gaskets. The ultimate clamp. The lower 48 operators prefer viton because it holds up better with the bio-blends, but viton leaks in Arctic cold. And you can switch load meth, using nitrile, but viton will melt in meth. But, we are talking about water wagons. I’ve spent so much time fixing leaking fuel trucks when upfitters and mechanics use sprinkler clamps with EPDM rubbers instead of fuel rated ones. I have a box of shame, filled with gooey, melted, sprinkler gaskets.
I haven't seen a water truck with a vitaulic connection, not sure which they are needed on one. I've seen a whole mess of water trucks
That picture of the White up thread has vics on each side of the valve. We put vics on a pair of 90's so we can aim the nozzles anywhere we want. Couple of 90s and vics will let you point the fan anywhere. Examples:
I see where this is going. I keep my Vic’s in the kitchen, next to the ol’e lady’s air fryer.
Not on the left side of the groove. Not the right side of the groove. Right in the middle of the grove, is how I like it.
How do the pipes stay together?
perhaps he means a tanker. They don't have spray nozzles and spray bars, air operated valves, etc.
A tanka? Like this big yellow one I saw today?
"quality solutions, delivered" " I hope that's where you want the water!!"
Gee.....wonder why the OP never came back ?
Oh, and somehow I've blown up a DT466 and 4BT Cummins at one job. 2 of the most rugged engines made. Should I share water truck stories? Like the time I sprayed a sleeping hobo by accident or the water canon turned on and sprayed inside a car? Or the convertible that drove into the stream and panicked and kept pacing the truck? Or the guy that rolled his truck trying to pass the sweepers?
Had no idea those were called that. Have them on all the nozzles. Annoying when they are too loose and the angle keeps changing. Ive jammed cigarette packs or whatever was in the cab to hold them. One guy smoked like 78 packs a day, I swear I got 2nd hand smokers lung cancer just from that truck cab
this must be where the term "duchenozzle" comes from. "That guy? he's a duche!!" " I got a nozzle for that!" One memorable moment, the job super runs up to the water truck while he is working, probably to redirect him. Truck is moving, mind you, this is stupid under any condition. He reaches for the cab handle just as the driver flips the side fan on, the one right behind the cab on the driver's door. Knocked him right off the truck. The timing was perfect!
The OP was obviously spam. Who doesn’t like a good water wagon discussion? Better than talking about 40 year old, Cat powered GMC mediums with electrical problems. Wait a sec, how about GMC water trucks with 3116 engines? Now we got something,….
You guys run fancy water trucks. I'm only guessing it's for dust control, or compaction. We just have a 2 or 3 inch pipe, mounted crossways on the back, capped on the ends, and holes torched so the water comes out on the road
"There's a pretty decent rig there for a water truck" is what you get told on Friday. Over the weekend in your head: What is there Monday morning:
What they bring on Wednesday after you broke the truck tuesday:
Yes in the PNW it is feast or famine with the rain. We do a lot of side shooting with a flat nozzle from the bumper and shoot water out where we best not drive to suppress dust and get compaction. More water goes out the bumpers than the back by far.
By screwing them together? They just use pipe threads here. No no sprayers but when we treat a road with salt water or oil you can attach a spreader but I like to just spit it out the 3" in the back with some air pressed against it. Typical oilfield vac truck with a vac pump, Bowie pump, and high pressure pump. This 1998 has been truck up as a water truck since 2000. 1.4 million miles, half overloaded.
Love that single stack Mack with the tank in the back! She can haul the mail.
Funny grooved clamp story. Hopefully enough time has passed to protect the innocent. A colleague of mine,….. Never mind. I’ll probably get sued by a major manufacturer if I say something and they will seize my single-wide in judgment. Let’s just say, once upon a time, there was Chinese counterfeit elastomers used by a major clamp manufacturer which caused my former employer to spend a couple hundred thousand fixing leaks and cleaning spills and my clocked O/T hours achieved a new dimension never thought possible.
Actually has dual stacks, I wish it had just one. Right before I stopped driving it the exhaust rotted out and a friend had the same size as straight pipes. We sent a picture and a offer of $500 and they were on the truck in a few days. I never drove it with the stacks. He said it's nice unless your slowing down with jakes with the window down. It's my favorite water truck as it's super reliable, a old truck, plenty of power(on the top end) and has done a pile of work. It even got pulled over by a new dot with a chip on his shoulder and I don't think he found anything.
I have not heard that in ages. But for me it was a single stack Mack with a shack on the back
A black single stack Mack with a shack on the back.
I know I got tired of moving two/three compartment tanks from one to another. It was all the bottom loader stuff.
Facebook www.facebook.com *
You didn't post the important picture.
This is what makes this place great. Many times a spammer starts a thread and it turns into a pretty good conversation. I've learned a few things about water trucks now.
That looks very similar to a water truck the movie studios used .
I left that for you.
Now that's a wagon. I like the custom stripe kit on the tank. I miss the real cab lights. Too much aerodynamic crap these days
It needs some stuff but for that price, could throw a little at it.