Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steering hose configuration case 580B

DaniZ ยท 2023-08-29 12:00

OK, so I took pictures and even a video before taking the hoses off to replace the steering cylinders on my 1978 580B or Ck backhoe. Then...phone got destroyed. Do opossing hoses go to the opposite side cylinders? Like a push pull or are they the same in connection set up; left matches right configuration? The left side is still connected when I realized no reference to hoses when I finally got the right ball joints pressed out and new unit in. New cylinders looks different, the new ones have an outside slave tube, but all replacement options showed this as far as I could note, unless purchased used. Q: hose closest to the machine side, with slave tube, does it connect to the same valve T as the left, both slave tube connection points come from the same valve point under the hood area Or Opposite, slave tube to opposing sides non slave tube connection? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1nova4812023-08-29 13:10

    Does this help https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/casece/search/?byModel=1&text=580b

  2. #2DaniZ2023-08-30 13:39

    Thank you, I've printed the 2 versions out, studied both, but they seem to be the same outside, but internally may be different. The "NOW" concern is that the exterior slave tubes of the new type cylinder, when installed on each side, are, of course aimed the same from left to right and not opposing models. Like a specific left or right hand. Meaning, the originals may have been the same, I wouldn't know, hidden inside of the build. But the new ones, have the tube on the left and the main inlet on the right. Which makes the hook up opposite if I understand the situation. I'm reassembling the pump and system today, after hours of evil arguing with the left inside ball joint! Had to grind the top of the factory sealed ball joint cap off, dig the Teflon out and cut the bottom ring too. I finally stepped up to a large ball joint C press with a hillbilly set up because where that ball joint installs is off a thin strap of metal, then a small welded piece the ball joint goes in is off that. It wasn't flat from the thin metal arm across to the ball joint installation hole, so the sleeves couldn't sit flat, making the line up super hard. After popping off 100 times no matter the configuration of press tools. Finally had to reduce to using the bare tool to frame and screw directly to the ground off stem of the ball joint, with torch heat. POW! Finally after 3 hours of fiddle farting around. Maybe a better way or tool next time?