Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Steering wheel case 480b

Ron Hallett ยท 2019-09-28 11:20

Any hints in removing a steering wheel on a case 480b? nut is off, but steering wheel is frozen and could use some advise....

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2019-09-28 18:08

    Can't say I have ever even seen a 480B Ron, I usually use a long steel punch & direct some blows from under the steering wheel, directly on the steel boss in the centre. But I don't think the configuration on your machine will allow this. Is there any threaded puller bolt holes present? All I can suggest is lots of penetrating oil & allow to soak, knees under the steering wheel with the nut fitted to protect the threads, some good sharp hits using a brass or copper drift & 2-4lb hammer.

  2. #2Bls repair2019-09-28 19:28

    Can you put a bearing separator around steering shaft under the steering wheel and use a two Jaw puller to pull it? Photos may be able give us other ideas

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-09-28 22:59

    I do something a little similar to Alrman's method. Knees under the steering wheel , but I put an air chisel with a pointed bit on the center of the shaft. It has worked well the few times I have had to remove a steering wheel.

  4. #4Ron Hallett2019-09-29 16:45

    Thanks for the hints!! Tried several methods, pullers on wheel, sharp impact, and the air hammer... all without success. Plan on drilling the pulling holes to 1/4 x 20 and making a hub puller with the two pull points. Can't get back to it for two weeks, but feel good having a plan!! This steering pump is just below the wheel, much different set up than the 580 version...

  5. #5Grady2019-09-30 12:02

    If I was going to drill and tap some holes to use for a puller, I think I'd go a little bigger than 1/4-20 if possible - esp. since there's only 2 and it sounds like it's pretty stuck. 5/16 or 3/8?

  6. #6Ron Hallett2019-10-15 09:29

    Thanks for all the suggestions! As it turns out, the right tools and the correct method make all the difference. I ended up using the suggestion found on this youtube video: With two 1/4 x 20 bolts and a steering wheel puller, the wheel came right off. No damage and the pump along with the split hydraulic hoses came right out. Had two of them made and plan on reassembly over the weekend. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

  7. #7alrman2019-10-15 16:30

    That's good to know, thanks for the update. I was wondering if there was enough metal at the centre to allow the 1/4" holes.