Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sterling 2006 alarm won’t quit with no indications why

terex herder · 2023-04-23 11:31

I have a 2006 Sterling with a 14L Detroit. This morning it decided that I needed more warning buzzer on my play list. There are no lights on the dash, air pressure is good, coolant level is good, no indication as to why it is going off. No lower switch for the suspension, 5th wheel is locked and power divider is unlocked. The only thing I notice is the dash will display 2 1.2 before starting. Any suggestions on things to check before a wire gets a hard open?

Replies8
  1. #1mekanik2023-04-23 11:40

    Disconnect the battery terminals for a few minutes and reconnect. You might get lucky.

  2. #2Labparamour2023-04-23 11:55

    I have an ‘03 Freightliner. Went into alarm and would shut down after 30 seconds. I was able to search internet and learn how to display code on instrument panel (which you already have) then found breakdown of codes. Mine was low coolant sensor. Anyway, maybe internet search will show what your code means?

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-04-23 12:40

    If it is a coolant sensor remove it clean it first before buying.

  4. #4terex herder2023-04-26 07:38

    Ok, its an intermittent short somewhere. Was taking it to a mechanic to see if his 'puter would tell where the alarm originates. A rough section of road and the buzzer went out. Next time it comes on I will have to spend time hunting under the dash. All the plastic in the dash is so brittle and broken I hate the thought.

  5. #5Vetech632023-04-26 07:46
  6. #6mekanik2023-04-26 08:06

    There should still be a stored code even if the alarm stopped.

  7. #7Labparamour2023-04-26 12:06

    Sterling Eng lite on I bought a Sterling, quad axle, dump, a few months ago. It has a Cummins 8.3L, auto tranny, 336,000 miles. The truck runs good, but the yellow caution lite comes on (I forgot what it says, I think engine) then after a while the red stop engine lite starts flashing, then it will go out. There is... HeavyEquipmentForums Found this when trying to search for “reading fault codes on Sterling.” Not sure if works same on yours. If you can see what sensor is throwing the codes at least you’d know where to start wiggling wires.

  8. #8terex herder2023-04-26 14:47

    My truck doesn't have the reset button on the dash. I did figure out holding in the shutdown override button will trigger the fault codes, at least for the engine. It came back 2 5, which is no codes for a Detroit.