Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sterling l9500 dip stick part number

mattyt1984 · 2024-04-14 17:08

Sterling VIN 2FZAAZANX2AK30641. Î purchase and it is missing dipstick and when I pulled oil pan plug antifreeze came out. I'm looking to drive into my shop but need to make sure oil level is correct first. Has cat engine not sure which model

Replies29
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-04-14 17:16

    That will be a cat part you'll need the engine serial

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-04-14 17:17

    Just use something flexible like a old speedo cable down dip tube, figure a distance where it is just a inch below pan rail, should be ok.

  3. #3mattyt19842024-04-16 19:44

    Pic attached of serial. Anyway to test and see if where coolant is getting into oil? My first guess is water pump. Anyone have instructions on how to replace?

  4. #4mattyt19842024-04-16 19:45
  5. #5Truck Shop2024-04-16 19:53

    pressurize cooling system 10 psi.

  6. #6Nige2024-04-16 19:58

    Regarding a dipstick Cat is no help unfortunately. Everything I have found indicates that the dipstick must be a Sterling part number because it is not listed anywhere in the engine configuration supplied by Cat.

  7. #7mattyt19842024-04-16 19:59

    Ok I can pressurize coolant system but assuming pressure drops how does that tell me where it is leaking?

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-04-16 21:12

    Well if it's external your going to see it making a puddle on the floor. Internally--remove the oil pan look for dribble. Might have to pull the head.

  9. #9mattyt19842024-04-16 21:42

    No external leaks. Looks like easiest fix is water pump so I think I will remove that and bench test it. Does anyone have manual that shows how to remove?

  10. #10Nige2024-04-16 21:59

    See attached.

  11. #11mattyt19842024-04-16 22:30

    Thanks

  12. #12mattyt19842024-04-18 21:31

    I pressurized the coolant system to 15 psi and it held for over an hour. I'm thinking possibly it only leaks while running or when hot? I'll test tomorrow any suggestions what would do this?

  13. #13Truck Shop2024-04-18 21:56

    Leave the pressure tester in-place on the radiator, start it and let it run warming up and see if the psi climbs on the gauge.

  14. #14mattyt19842024-04-20 19:48

    So connected shop air plugged off top of radiator tanks left 15 psi on system over night after running for an hour and pressure has stayed for over 12 hours. Any ideas what could of caused this? When I originally drained oil a good 3 gallons of antifreeze came out. Anyone know a parts supplier for Sterling so I can find the dip stick?

  15. #15mattyt19842024-04-22 20:11

    Any suggestions on this??

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-04-22 21:06

    Take it out and work it, build some heat.

  17. #17mattyt19842024-04-22 21:22

    Will do any idea on where to get dip stick since I need to get it from sterling?

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-04-22 21:34

    Truthfully--go to a Cat parts dept, with engine #, Tell them you want a stick long enough to cut to length and mark. It's what I would do.

  19. #19crane operator2024-04-22 21:49

    go to your local junkyard and tell them you need a c-10 dipstick and tube. Vanderhaags showed one at $58 but I don't think its in stock, sorry.

  20. #20Truck Shop2024-04-22 21:52

    And that's even better go to Vander Haags and pay twice of new. See the non-tilt steering column below for a Kenworth T800, fit's many years and models, Vander Haag's wants $312.00 used---YOU can buy a new one from PacCar for $278.00. When buying used----always check new price first, this has become a common issue with salvage yards lately. *

  21. #21crane operator2024-04-22 22:15

    The vanderhaags listing showed a picture of the dipstick, and it gave a part # of 136-4333, which shows as a good cat part number. It also showed "frequently purchased with" a new tube and o ring on the cat website. https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/136-4333

  22. #22crane operator2024-04-22 22:19

    The "frequently purchased with" numbers were 136-4332 outer dia. oil tube 228-4947 oring 161-1827 oil level steel tube.

  23. #23crane operator2024-04-22 22:20

    Picture from vander haags. 136-4333 | CAT C10 Oil Dipstick for Sale CAT C10 Oil Dipstick, P/N 136-4333 for sale. Enjoy our hassle-free online checkout or call to speak to an expert. www.vanderhaags.com

  24. #24Coaldust2024-04-23 02:15

    Cat has a nice well written procedure for calibrating blank dip sticks. Start first by filling with the recommended amount as per your O&M for the engine. Contact Sterling? Part number? Then what? Say what? Ain’t no product support available for that thing. To top it off, Caterpillar’s long defunct, truck engine division don’t care about your engine woes, either. I had to keep one of those going long enough to replace it. Good luck. Nothing but heartache and broken promises once you tilt the hood.

  25. #25Truck Shop2024-04-23 21:27

    Problem with salvage yards ---the person/s who remove parts are in some cases not all---are LMM's. The yard I deal with--a percentage is labeled incorrect--didn't even come off said equipment. The people cataloging parts--never see the rig it was removed from and even if they did they don't know.

  26. #26mattyt19842024-05-14 11:02

    Part number is f8hz6750la anyone have one or know where to get?? Any idea on oil capacity ? Then I could just make one

  27. #27crane operator2024-05-14 17:09

    Is that a Cat part #, or a Sterling/ford/freightliner part #?

  28. #28mattyt19842024-05-14 17:10

    Freightliner

  29. #29mattyt19842024-07-23 21:43

    Does anyone have rebuild instructions I am thinking of just rebuilding the pump as I just confirmed it was leaking into the oil. What is the part number for a rebuild kit looks like I just need a bearing and seal. Thanks for any help looks like this is a pretty easy rebuild and new pump cost like 300 dollars