Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406b shrapnel!

Tyler d4c · 2024-04-14 11:02

Showed up with a slight knock listening with a screw driver sounded like number 4. Bottom end looks good. Valves have about 60 thou lash across the board. Lifter clips are all in place And found these goodies. Could my knock sounds be absurd valve lash and these be for the compressor. 7fb51091

Replies25
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-04-14 11:39

    Odd looking pieces --.015-.030 lash, what's cylinder liner, piston skirt like?

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-04-14 11:44

    Is that the pump advance coming apart?

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-04-14 11:48

    Don't remember anything like that in the advance.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2024-04-14 11:50

    Exhaust all are 60 plus I just checked the intakes there all 18 ish. As for the advance I haven't pulled the cover but on a parts diagram I can't pick out anything that is needle bearing like

  5. #5Truck Shop2024-04-14 11:53

    Don't remember anything like that in the advance. When advance takes a dump you know it.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-04-14 11:55

    The lifters wouldn't have a needle bearing would they tho these look to long to fit there any how

  7. #7funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:07

    I couldn't remember, It's been forever since I've even seen one. I was thinking those were bits of safety wire.

  8. #8cfherrman2024-04-14 12:10

    I guess look over the gear train too

  9. #9Tyler d4c2024-04-14 12:13

    Well funny you say that they mend like safety wire. That sure rolls out a spring or a needle bearing

  10. #10funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:13

    So any reference on size. Are we looking at 1" , 1½" bigger. I don't know how big yer vice is.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2024-04-14 12:14

    Looking up from the bottom with the oil pump off it looks ok may end up pulling the front off

  12. #12funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:14

    When I saw the bent edges, I thought couldn't be a needle, it would have broke.

  13. #13funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:15

    It doesn't explain your #4 knock though. Gear train would've been across the board.

  14. #14funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:17

    Haven't seen an '06 that didn't need the front structure resealed anyway, so at least it's justified.

  15. #15funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:19

    What would happen if you put the compressor in "unload"

  16. #16Tyler d4c2024-04-14 12:31

    On it doesn't but does the loose exhaust valves explain it im calling a knock but to a different ear I may have a different discrimination I'm half convinced to put it together and do the valves up and see what happens

  17. #17funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:34

    As long as you don't have a pan full of powdered metal, I would. Did you kill cylinders while running or just the stethoscope thing?

  18. #18funwithfuel2024-04-14 12:35

    I'd still check under the cone cover for loose fasteners.

  19. #19Tyler d4c2024-04-14 12:39

    Just listened to it didn't think to bust the lines before I pulled it apart there's some what looks like aluminum from a aluminum connecting rod failing but not much and a few small stones someone dumped in I may just pull the come yet one more gasket done mean anything

  20. #20Tyler d4c2024-04-14 12:44

    All looks well under there

  21. #21funwithfuel2024-04-14 13:06

    I can think of nothing else that's safety wired. Good luck. Sorry I dragged you down a rabbit hole.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2024-04-14 13:10

    No biggie could be from a previous repair hard tell I have no history of the truck

  23. #23Truck Shop2024-04-14 14:53

    Put it back together, run overhead, if it's still there start at #4 crack the line see if it goes away. Because it could have a bad wristpin bushing and not show any material in pan. If it was a lifter you would have found retaining clips in pan. Cat says lifters won't turn sideways with a broken clip--incorrect they will.

  24. #24Tyler d4c2024-04-14 15:07

    Yes that's pretty much the plan it has about 250 miles on since it was first noted so hopefully it's OK.

  25. #25Tyler d4c2024-05-26 22:50

    Well got it stuck together still has the noise. They have been running it. Worst part was the drive shaft fell off when I was taking it back. Needs a new yoke. Found another engine that's a peec. Serial 4ck00187.would it last if the mechanical pump and advance was shaped on to it. I've been attempting to cross numbers but the only one I've had success with was the cam shaft. The 4ck is set to 310 horse would the crank and rods survive with 400 pump on it. I swear someone had a cross reference on the web for these type of questions but I for the life of me can't find it. Thanks!