Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stick for a zx 450-3

mxsledder ยท 2007-03-10 14:19

I am looking at a new zx 450-3 excavator I found for a preety good deal. I was going to get the 12foot10inch stick,but this machine has the 11foot2inch stick. What stick would be the better all around stick for demo and excavating,I do both. Also I am going to put a coupler on the machine,which should give me a little more reach. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1dayexco2007-03-10 17:20

    your dealer would be able to give you the best combo for the type of excavation you're doing. altho i 'd never have an excavator without a quick coupler...you do know that for the few inches you gain, you lose breakout force, etc.....don't you?

  2. #2rino14942007-03-10 17:26

    The longer the stick, the less the breakout force. You need to decide which is more important to you. Do you need the longer reach for demo work and sloping or do you need the breakout force for trenching and mass excavation.

  3. #3mxsledder2007-03-11 14:19

    Yeah I understand the coupler will lower your breakout force. How much reach do you think a coupler will give a machine of this size?

  4. #4ben46a2007-03-11 16:11

    Where your putting a coupler on, If its a hydraulic pin grabber type and not a dedicated wedge lok; i would go with the short stick, as the pin grabber type will give you about 18 inches on a machine of that size, which will make the short stick reach as far as the long stick. Now if its the wedge lok type, it will not add legnth to the stick therefore you should get the longer stick.

  5. #5mxsledder2007-03-11 21:44

    It's the hydraulic pin grabber coupler. I dindn't know it gave you that much reach,awesome.