Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticker Shock on Backhoes

lavarock64 ยท 2007-08-14 14:30

We took our son to the state farm show. While there we were checking out the Kubota L48. Nice compact machine. The CAT dealer was next door. We climb into a enclosed cab 416 (WOW, what a rig). The L48 was priced at 43K and the CAT 49K, What's the Deal?!?!? The Cat is 3 times the machine! Can anyone explain this to me?

Replies30
  1. #1biggixxerjim2007-08-14 16:46

    You got something wrong. The cat should be more like 70-75k.

  2. #2CM19952007-08-14 16:49

    If the guy quoted you $49k for a new 416E then go find him and buy it! You can make $20k on it.

  3. #3dig dug2007-08-14 17:45

    yeah i'd have to say that price is a little off, but if thats what they really want i'll take two

  4. #4fhdesign2007-08-14 21:58

    Supply and demand...even with the price corrected a full size tlb is a good deal compared to a compact tlb. In my area very few excavators are buying new full size machines but there's a lot of landscapers and home owners buying the small stuff.

  5. #5cat3202007-08-15 08:41

    well i just priced out a 2007 case 580 L turbo 4x4 E-hoe a/c radio aux front hyfro and it was at $71,900 so the 416 should be in line with that if not more because cat is always higher on there stuff. If they can sell it that cheap there then they are bascily screwing us here on the price because here or there cost the same to make?

  6. #6lavarock642007-08-15 08:54

    I thought it was to good to be true. I'm suprised the salesman did'nt say anything, I brought the price up in conversation?!?! I'll call to be sure.

  7. #7tuney4432007-08-19 23:01

    A new 410J with all the toys is over a 100 grand.Unbelievable.

  8. #8Tigerotor77W2007-08-20 12:43

    Case is on the M Series 2 for 2007...

  9. #9cat3202007-08-20 14:22

    Sorry I ment to say M i have an L just force of habit saying it .

  10. #10Tigerotor77W2007-08-20 22:56

    Gotcha... no offense meant.

  11. #11Gmads2007-09-07 18:01

    Late 2004: Case 580M - 2wd, plain-jane, canopy, std. stick = $46K Cat 416D - 2wd, plain-jane, canopy, std stick = $48.5K JD 310G - 2wd, added turbo, canopy, std. stick = $51K Mid 2007: Case 580 Super M - 4wd, canopy, e-stick = $72.5K New Holland B95 - 4wd, quick-coupler front w/bucket & forks, canopy, e-stick = $66.5K Examples of what we see in these parts.

  12. #12cat3202007-09-07 20:45

    It's funny hoe an E-Hoe not on a machine will drop the valuse of it dramaticly. I have seen some good deals then notice it does not have that option but everything else cab 4x4 . I would not get a new machine with out one now.

  13. #13Duke2007-09-07 21:49

    Heck, my '05 Case 580 is a Super M.

  14. #14Mr HMK2007-09-07 21:51

    Wonder? Why?

  15. #15cat3202007-09-08 09:12

    I would say it's his opinion .

  16. #16Lashlander2007-09-08 09:39

    Maybe its because the Kubota weighs in at around 7700 lbs and the 416 comes in at around 20,000.

  17. #17Ford LT-90002007-09-08 15:16

    I think he meant that the Cat is bigger and its price isn't a whole lot more than the Kubota mini backhoe. A 590 Case 4x4 with all the options is over 100,000. I just looked up a used 2004 580SM 4x4 with standard West Coast options with 2000 hours the machine is 77,000. A 2002 580 Super M 4x4 with 5000 hours sells for 58,000. A used Cat 1998 Model 416C 4x4 with 6300 hours is going for 50,000. Found a 2005 590SM 4x4 with 1100 hours is 105,000 dollars. A 1996 Deere 310DG 4x4 3800 hours 41,000. You go into a equipment dealer and order a new backhoe and order a 2wd the salesman would probably give you a funny look. Also extenda boom is standard issue on backhoes along with hydraulic thumb and 4 in 1 bucket. Full cab is also standard issue no such thing as a canopy. Rubber tired backhoes are not cheap even a beat up used 80s 2wd machine will still sell for 10 grand.

  18. #18tuney4432007-09-09 13:26

    Well I guess that must be a Canadian thing then because here{U.S.},an Xtendahoe,thumb,4in 1,cab are all options and you will get just a ROPS as standard.That 590 Case is awful pricey,even in Canadian $---makes me glad I got a great deal on my 410G with all the toys--$63K for a 2003,like new with 1300 hrs.

  19. #19KW Kat2007-09-09 18:50

    Cat pricing December 2005 420D, E stick, 4 in 1 loader w/forks, aux hydr, deluxe cab with AC, 4x4, quick coup, 12/18/24 & 36 hd bkts, 18 comp wheel $96K + tax. Worth every penny!

  20. #20rutwad2007-10-28 21:31

    I haven't followed the market closely, but TLB prices seem to have taken a huge jump in price over the last few years. Has other equipment taken an equivelant leap? WOW, I still have a hard time imagining $100k for a backhoe.

  21. #21TimG2007-10-29 00:23

    Around here, a new JCB 214S is around 120,000. And if memory serves me right, it was the same in 1997.

  22. #22Countryboy2007-10-29 00:26

    Welcome to HEF TimG! :drinkup

  23. #23Bayrat2007-10-30 20:58

    Just a guess I'm new at the backhoe pricing game, ran them plenty but never owned one. I was thinking today when pondering the price I paid for mine that the most likely reason the cost on new machines is going up, aside from inflation, could be due to the competition from the skid steer/mini-X driving demand down for TLB. Generally when this stuff occurs, they make fewer pieces so the manufacturing cost per each increases. I am taking delivery of a 2000 Case 580 with 2700 hours tomorrow. Should have been today so I am sort of bummed. The hauler was not available. The hood needs paint but the rest of the machine is great sans a little rust on the doors (which I am looking to replace). A bit off topic, sorry. My thought is that good used TLB's will retain or even escalate in value if the trend continues. Meanwhile, the market around here is loaded with mini-x machines which I anticipate will have the opposite affect on them. Don

  24. #24NateV2007-10-30 21:43

    We just picked up a 2007 Case 580 Super M series 2 with everything but ride control and a quick change front bucket (i think case hase that:beatsme ) and it was right around $74,000. If we would of got ride control and the cab that has more sound prof stuff, and i think there was one other thing i cant remember but it would of been right under $80,000.

  25. #25nedly052007-10-31 05:04

    When we got our 410-G in June the list price was $127,000. Talk about sticker shock.

  26. #26directorz2007-10-31 07:34

    I just got quoted $109,000 for a new 580 Super M Series 2 w/ a 4 in 1 and extendahoe. We're selling a 98 580 Super L Series II 4wd w/ a 4 in 1 and extendahoe w/ 1800 hours. There's a fair amount of rust - it was used to load salt in the winter. Being a local municipality, we qualify for a discount of $45,000 bringing the total cost to a little over $63,000.

  27. #27rutwad2007-10-31 09:28

    There must be a Backhow market bubble . I guess with the gold plated new TLB's, it's probably going to be difficult to find a good deal on a late model (2000 +) one. The skid steers are one of my favorite machines due to their size and versatility. I have only seen the backhoe attachments in magazines, but has anyone had experience with a skid-steer backhoe?

  28. #28Bayrat2007-10-31 18:31

    There is a thread about them where I asked that same question about a month ago. Should be easy to find. They seem to be up there in cost. I found a 1999 model with low hours and a larger backhoe than the one I posted about in that thread, but they wanted 17k for it.

  29. #29CM19952007-11-01 21:11

    Well somebody got a good deal today http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/161400?h=405,1680 That backhoe is not loaded with cab and the like but $50K for a 420E is pretty darn good.

  30. #30NateV2007-11-01 21:22

    Man thats high! I wonder if they jack the price up because they know you get that discount? A new Case only goes for about $80,000. Atleast thats what they were 2 weeks ago when we got ours. One boro around here did the same thing your doing and there machine was $63,000 too if i remember right and the only thing it didnt have was ac. I only have one pic at the moment of ours