Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticky boom swing – 580 SK.

gabtrac ยท 2024-03-26 20:44

The BH boom on my 580SK swings from right to left with no problem. But going the other way, left to right, it sticks near the halfway (centre) point. It slows and sticks until I give it more pedal. What might be wrong? I keep all of it well lubricated. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2024-03-26 23:01

    Take a close look at the cam follower roller, located under the upper swing tower pin. Is it siezed? Does it have any flat spots? Does it follow the cam properly all the way through the cycle?

  2. #2gggraham2024-03-29 13:16

    Here is the sequence valve that controls the swing. Check areas marked. One last thing I guess make sure the rod is in place and the ball joint is not worn or broken

  3. #3gabtrac2024-03-29 14:18

    Hey Guys, thanks for this. I'm heading to the machine today and will advise, on your advice. Much appreciated!

  4. #4gabtrac2024-03-29 19:28

    Ok, got it all taken apart in under 120 minutes and sure enough, the cam roller bearing was pooched! There were 3 very flat spots. The lower 3rd was worn down, and the bearings no longer held the cam in place. So, thank you very much. New part on order. As always, I really appreciate your help, and generosity in sharing your knowledge. It makes the world a better place if we share knowledge. Cheers!