Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sticky joystick on Komatsu D31-EX21

2grit ยท 2015-09-06 10:57

The drive/steer joystick on my dozer has slowly been getting a little sticky. I have the rubber boots off now and can see inside the mechanism. The factory used grease on the joints so I'm assuming the grease is just wore away. Question is, can anyone tell me an easy way to relube the mechanism without tearing the joystick box apart? There is quite a bit of fine tuned linkage to deal with if it has to be tore apart, and want to avoid that if possible.

Replies6
  1. #12grit2015-09-09 08:06

    I should add that the joystick is sticky only in drive mode, forward and reverse, and works smooth for steering

  2. #2Dickjr.2015-09-09 10:58

    This may be a long shot , but here goes. If its a -21 it should have a ppv control. You can take the handle off , there are 4 bolts that hold it in place. There is a large flat bearing the and a bevel washer that can get groves worn in it. Most likely this is the problem. If its a -21A it should be electric. Is there any side to side or front to back play in the handle?

  3. #32grit2015-09-09 11:37

    Thanks for replying. As far as I know, it is not a 21A. There is no play in the joystick. The stickiness is worse in either full forward or full reverse. It gets to be a real pain when I have to pull/push fairly hard to dislodge it, when it should be a smooth pull or push. I will get a schematic and look for the bearing you mentioned

  4. #4Dickjr.2015-09-09 13:31

    How many hours on it?

  5. #5mikebramel2015-09-09 14:34

    Either the pilot pressure or as **** said mechanical problem in the joystick

  6. #62grit2015-09-09 16:16

    2650 hours