Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Still looking: Cat 225 vs. 231

mfowler ยท 2016-09-12 17:02

Hi guys: Well I'm still looking for an older machine for some work on the ranch, probably put no more than 100-200 hours a year on it. There are two machines coming up at auction this Friday that might fit the bill. Wondering what would be a better choice, all things being equal? I see a lot more 225 machines out there, so makes me think it would be easier to find parts for. The 231 looks to be in better shape though. The tracks on the 225 look pretty loose but there seems to be plenty of adjustment left based on position of the front idler in the frame. If the 225 checks out okay, and it went cheap enough, I could afford to also pick up something in the 20,000 lb range sometime next year. If anybody has any opinions I would sure appreciate you sharing them. Thanks . Here are links to the machines. https://www.rbauction.com/1990-CATERPILLAR-231D-LC?invId=9476396&id=ci&auction=SACRAMENTO-CA-2016159 https://www.rbauction.com/1981-CATERPILLAR-225-LC?invId=9469577&id=ci&auction=SACRAMENTO-CA-2016159

Replies5
  1. #1movindirt2016-09-12 21:06

    IIRC the 231 was a 225 carbody mounted on a 235 track frame to fill the "zero tail" slot. The 225 has a nicer thumb and also a quick coupler, looks like it has great deal of fishplates welded to the boom, might be cause for concern or something they did maybe to strengthen it for road builder use? I'm not sure. I wouldn't think the parts for the 231 really shouldn't be that bad.

  2. #2bam19682016-09-13 12:13

    I think Movindirt is spot on. Although I will add..... If you are going to be moving the machine a lot I would lean towards the 225. Of course it all comes down to dollars and cents.

  3. #3etd66ss2016-09-13 14:36

    I own a 1978 225 LC 51U02xxx, been using at my lot for personal stuff, similar to what you desire out of a machine. If it were me, I'd go with the one that has the better UC. If one of them had the 3304 engine I'd say go with that one, but they both have 3208's so that is a wash. The 231D is a lot newer so it has updates in the boom for strength etc, while the older 225 has the plates welded on it to make up for engineering boo boo's. And iirc the 231D is doing to have a different HYD pump layout, 2 pump vs 3 pump, 2 pump is considered more desirable.

  4. #4mfowler2016-09-15 01:16

    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just wait and see how these machines check out and try and get the best deal I can. Whatever I end up with will probably never be moved off the ranch so transport issues are not that important. The 225 has a pretty good guard package on it, so that would be a plus. Going to preview the machines in the morning and see what's what. Thanks again.

  5. #5MX452016-09-15 02:23

    G'day, Only a weekend hack with a five ton grey market I have had for about 7 years. The 231 is nine years younger, the sections on the boom, dipper look much more beefed up than the 225. They put those protection bars all round on that 225 for heavy duty bumps? For mine from a distant land later model easier to get parts when you need them as well. Good luck - hope the right price for the better machine for you, MX45