Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Still on a quest for truck

kirt ยท 2013-01-25 08:14

Looked at this truck about a month ago, came with the trailer witch I wasn't interested in so passed at time, owner since emailed me said had someone interested in trailer so going to go back this weekend and possibly purchase. It's the size I'm looking for, fair shape, current inspection sticker, has the usual frame rust but not that of a salt truck from municipals. It's a 1983 s1954 with Detroit 466 (since most here said to look for one) can't remember but think it's a 5 speed with 2 speed rear, has an exhaust break- restriction of exhaust with a switch if that's what it's called. 80,000 miles on truck. Price is in ballpark to make it feasible for needed tlc. Any ideas what I should really look at with this truck, slop in one area or another, I believe it had a rotary pump, how are these with today's fuel will or should I use some sort of additive, can they be adjusted or should i look at in line when time comes, with the age I'm guessing it will come. Rear end or trans to avoid. Refresh-- will be pulling 14000 excavator, about same dozer, more a site truck short haul situations.

Replies7
  1. #1fast_st2013-01-25 09:34

    Have been doing some work on one of those exact trucks, DT466 is the international turbo 6, solid engine, keep the fuel fresh, add in some PS fuel additive, bleed your air tanks and see if there is any glop. One little issue I found was the front air cans rusted out completely, $20 each for 16 cube inch air cans at Napa. Floor rust can be fixed and check for rust on the rubber air line crimps. The truck I work on runs better with every day of running, it was a hard starter and was often dead but with getting run every week for an hour or two, batteries topped up and fresh fuel filters, it starts right up everytime. Also they don't have a preheater, but seems to start happily at 1/2 throttle on the first spin. An oil change seemed to cut back on the smoke and oil consumption. Our truck is a yard truck but its almost inspectable, want to keep it as close to road worthy as I can. Also, keep those pivots on the dump greased, if they sieze it can tear the rear frame.

  2. #2denver m farms2013-01-25 09:53

    What kind of brakes did this one have? Lookes like a fine truck.

  3. #3fast_st2013-01-25 10:05

    Air all the way around, massive tow plate with a pintle hook but no trailer air brakes from what I can see. Its been fun un-doing some odd/bad wiring. Put a new federal model 14 twin beacon light on the roof and got rid of the random low-flash strobe. Its a fine truck but it's had no maintenance before we started taking better care of it, does need spring brackets but have an estimate for $600 to replace the pair. Part of the prior non maintenance was that the truck wouldn't fit in the shop, well, it sure does but only has an inch or two all the way around. And you have to do the wiggle coming through the door to fit the plow in.

  4. #4GFMotorsports2013-01-26 20:03

    Check for rust between double frame. Mine has that an I'm thinking of doing the work myself but I got an estimate to replace the outer rail and clean up the frame for $6k so keep an eye on them. Also mine has a dt466 with inline pump and starts and runs great. Smokes a bit from the draft pipe until its warm so I dunno. Good looking truck though!

  5. #5Steve Frazier2013-01-26 22:54

    That appears to be a plow frame on the front. Check for hydraulic lines back at the trailer hitch, that would indicate it had a salt spreader in it. If this is the case, check it very carefully for rust in areas that aren't easily seen. I is a very reliable truck but they can be prone to rust issues, especially if a salt spreader was involved. The front cab corners where the front wheel spray hits is one area of concern.

  6. #6nedly052013-02-17 10:05

    I just emailed this guy about the same truck this morning. Then I came here and searched S1954 and this was the first thread I looked at... Small world!! Did you buy it? Looks like a decent truck!

  7. #7kirt2013-02-17 16:35

    I didn't buy it but thought heavily about it. Pm me and I can give you my number or any info you may want. It has a few minor issues but for the year it's a nice little truck. I just bought a 1988 mack 33kgvw, haven't got it home yet it's in ct. but headed down this week to get paper work for temp tags, new law in nh as of the 1st of jan, need dot confirmation of vin or title, prior reg, didn't get these at time. Bought truck with 20k equipment trailer and 5 ton vibratory roller, made out okay if it makes the trip home I'll feel better about it.