I lost power and thought it was the filter. I drained it and it ran for a bit and lost power again. I didn't have a filter but removed the old one. It was pretty bad with mud like stuff in it. Also some water. I finally got a new filter. I know the process for bleeding the lines and did that. I get fuel with the hand pump and it runs perfect for a bit, then quits. Bleed again and same thing. It seems the pump that gets the fuel to the filter and beyond is not doing its job. It will run if I hand pump it. I sure need some direction here. Thanks Doug
Hi dmcb. I know next to nothing about Mitsu dozers and their engine setups, can't help you with specifics. Couple of things in general you can check. Given the crud you found in the filter, you may have a blockage of the fuel supply line from tank. If you remove the supply line from the lift pump, does the line provide good gravity flow? Might blow back through this line with some air to clear the line. Is their another filter or strainer farther back toward tank that might be clogged? Does you fuel lines connect with banjo fittings? Some manufacturers insert small stainers inside the bolt for banjo fittings. Does the lift pump have a removable lid on it? Some lift pumps have screens inside them. If you've made sure there's no blockage of the lines, and that there are no other clogged strainers/screens, you may have a faulty lift pump. Hope this helps a little.
I thought I was going to start removing lines tomorrow. The hand pump does work so there must be some fuel getting through. The lift pump seems to be attached to the injector pump. I will see if I can get it apart and see if something is in it. Yes there are banjo fittings. Thanks for your thoughts. Doug
While your in there, see if your fuel tank has a drain on it. Sounds like you might have some crud in the tank.
Yes there is a drain and nothing came out so there is something in there. I am concerned about the pump. Any reason you can see not to add an electric pump to get the fuel to the filter if it becomes necessary? Doug
Clogged tank drain is not unusual. Get it cleared out. Sometimes compressed air will do the trick, sometimes you have to remove drain valve to clear debris. But fix it, you need to drain the water/dregs from your tank occasionaly. Don't mess with an electric pump. Get your system working properly with the original design and you'll be much happier with it.
Removed the valve and got it cleared. Wasn't much except water. About 2 quarts. The problem was the screen on the banjo bolt as it entered the lift pump. Thanks for your help. It gave me something to look for. I know more today about this machine than I did yesterday and its nice to have to shut it off to stop it again. Doug
Excellent! Good to hear you found the problem and got things sorted out.
Not sure about the "f" series but my G has a electric pump under the left floor board and it also has a small element filter in it. It is a 24 volt system same as yours. Don't see why you can't use one to aid the pump. Mine also has the manual primer pump just below the injector above the screw on filter. I have never had to use it when changing filters, I just fill the new filter with fuel and screw in on, the electric pump does the rest. Fred