Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Still shopping for a scraper. Do you know where one is?

fastline ยท 2012-06-09 01:19

We are in S Central KS and been looking for a scraper for some time now. I am sickened to have missed a 623 at auction for 2700 bucks! I have looked at two 633s fairly local in the last week and both are struggling on tires and a few other issues. One has rust on the main bowl lift cylinders and they are leaking. I tried to explain that is NOT a cheap fix but he still wants a good bit for it. I am trying to hug close to scrap price simply because we are looking for a 70s era machine and they can break to a "beyond repair" state pretty easy. Both the 633s I looked at had decent necks,m trans, etc but something as simple as tires and get down right expensive and not worth it. We really need an elevating scraper but might consider a push/pull open bowl. Trying to find a good size machine but a 11-12yd would do it if we can buy one right. It really seems like there is more market for the smaller scrapers than the 20+yd scrapers. I really would love to have a 633 but I just cannot urinate on good money. I see a lot of them being advertised for wild prices but cannot find any actually selling. So I guess if you know of one close enough to us or even cheap enough to justify a distant haul, please let me know. I don't mind throwing a finders fee out there. Would really like to find one soon.

Replies14
  1. #1Dutchman2012-07-07 12:14

    633's make good boat anchors! ha ha

  2. #2d9gdon2012-07-07 16:02

    If you're still looking for one, go to Ritchie Bros. auctions or Iron Planet auctions. They sell them all the time.

  3. #3Dutchman2012-07-07 16:40

    There's a 623B down in Amarillo for $18,000. All it has is a ROPS on it, No cab. pics on machinery trader. If its in any kind of shape at all, it would be worth it and much better scraper than 633 in my opinion.

  4. #4fjdrill2012-07-14 11:38

    Look up bigiron.com. They have some fair looking scrapers at reasonable prices sometimes. You can also look up their previous auctions. They are too far away from me-trucking $uck$!

  5. #5TEC2012-07-14 13:23

    You can try rocks and dirt and the iron peddler. Tom

  6. #6d9gdon2012-07-14 16:20

    A lot of equipment jockeys that sell on Machinery Trader and Rock & Dirt bought their equipment at an auction anyway. They're always cheaper at auction in my opinion. I see decent 623B's sell for $8500 all the time at them. Nobody seems to want scrapers anymore. Uh, what's wrong with a 633 Cat? Do they have some kind of weak point?

  7. #7Dutchman2012-07-15 15:49

    Never was a big fan of the roll up floor when you dump on the 633D or older scraper. The E's have a roll back floor like the 23's do and that would be a lot better. The floor on the older ones would drop down about 4 to 6 inches below the bottom of the scraper before they rolled back up in the can. They were also slow in my opinion. I just was never a big fan of them. If you are, thats great.

  8. #8d9gdon2012-07-15 18:18

    I've only been around 633's and 633C's. I could see where that might be a little hard on keeping grade when you're dumping by the way that floor works. I seem to remember reading that the sliding floor was a maintenance problem, maybe not.

  9. #9Taylortractornu2012-07-15 19:00

    WOuld you be interested in a 762 JD We are buying some up for partstractors. I found one for 12K thats too nice to part out. Its got new edges and side bits and a set of scarifiers teeth for the stinger they are inthe box. It has new pull tires and about 80 percent on the rear. I ran it a few hours the otherday. THe owner thought it had a bad motor and bouth an 862. Deere misdiagnosed the the engine as it was a badmanifold letting exhaust out before the turbo.

  10. #10Dutchman2012-07-16 19:31

    Yea, I don't know that about the 633E's sliding floors. 23's worked well, I never had a problem with them. I suppose if you used them in rock they would get bent out of shape. We had only 633's running beside 631B's down kinda close to your neck of the woods d9gdon.

  11. #11alan627b2012-07-17 20:51

    613 coming up for auction in KC soon,, might be a bit small but the price could be right.. hope this helps. Alan http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?120802/category/GRADERS-AND-SCRAPERS

  12. #12buckfever2012-07-18 20:48

    Don't know where your at our how far you are looking to buy but I know of a 627 you could pick up for a fair price.

  13. #13Dutchman2012-07-20 15:50

    Just wandering if you have found you a scraper yet, Fastline. Man don't let me discourage from the 633's. The ones I was around held up really well. Not much mechanical problems at all. They just did'nt fit in our operation. I hope you find what you looking for. Sorry for the negativity before. I did'nt mean nothing by it. I will keep my eyes for you also. I don't know, my area may be to far away for what your looking for. I was in Laramie looking for that TTS14 for another thread and it was there, but it look like he had an old dresser 412 for sale in the front. I don't know that for sure though. All the other equipment around it had for sale signs on them.

  14. #14fastline2012-07-23 14:01

    Found one, now I need help finding someone to move it!!! My god is moving expensive. I really want to work with an owner/operator directly. I just don't see the point in paying for the extra fat for a broker, etc. Makes me feel bad when I see a dirt cheap rate from a broker because you know the driver is getting next to nothing.