Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stinky final drive oil

bobin35 ยท 2010-02-09 19:09

Anyone else notice on japanese excavators,how the oil smells burnt and is black? Oil samples come back to dark for analysis. I dont see this on the cat machines.Just wondering.

Replies13
  1. #1Komatsu 1502010-02-13 11:21

    Really haven't notice any difference between machines. I wouldn't be too surprised if someone hasn't put in truck rear end lube instead of the proper oil. I've seen this done so many times over the years. If it's a gear box it must take 90 weight, right? A shop did this to my mom's 4WD transfer case (was supposed to be Dexron ATF) - big difference. Fuller transmissions are forever getting that done to them by mechanics, also wrong. And my favorite: I got an urgent message from the Komatsu service manager that my machine's final drive oil samples had come back showing the wrong type of oil and it must be changed immediately or the warranty would be void. He wasn't too happy when I told him his own field mechanic had change the oil.

  2. #2Chris55002010-02-13 19:50

    Can't say I've noticed either, and it really doesn't matter how dark the oil is, they can still test it just as accurately as fresh oil since they dilute the samples to 10ppm with kerosene. Quite an interesting process really the way they divide the sample up to test for different elements with different tests.

  3. #3bobcatmechanic2010-02-13 21:09

    dont they burn the samples off and go by the color of the flame on some tests also?

  4. #4John C.2010-02-13 22:59

    It wasn't too long ago that the Japan machines had fish oil in the final drives. You pulled the plug and the smell would knock you over. You have to be careful about what oils they use in them now as it is different for each manufacturer. Komatsu uses thirty weight engine oil in their drives. Most everyone else uses gear oil. Most of the customers I have dealt with over the years only change the oils when something breaks. That stuff will ooze out like cheap chassis grease. When it has been hot it will smell like a natural gas leak. When the oil is burned and black with the smell it is usually because of the extended oil changes or lots of high speed operation.

  5. #5BigfootBushy2010-02-13 23:20

    The company I operate for runs a Cat, 3 Komatsu and a Hyundai. All in the 21-28T class. These only get serviced when they get to the depot. Usually 1500-2000h. The final drives and the slew box absolutely stink when changed. All are filled with 85-140 gear oil.

  6. #6Racenitro2010-02-23 07:51

    John C & Komatsu 150... Would the D65E-6 Dozer 1977 model use 30 Weight Engine oil in the finals? If so, detergent or non? I just purchased one and want to change the fluids...Thanks

  7. #7atgreene2010-02-23 15:07

    Both my Takeuchi's excavators had track motor oil that reaked! Had to open the doors to the garage to stand it. I swapped to Amsoil and it is no where near as bad. I change it once per year no mater how many hours, seems like cheap insurance.

  8. #8John C.2010-02-23 19:53

    As I recall it used 30 weight engine oil but you should check with your local dealer. Good Luck!

  9. #9Komatsu 1502010-02-24 11:31

    I don't know the particulars either but I think most take a straight weight engine oil in normal temps.

  10. #10Racenitro2010-02-25 07:44

    Thanks... I finally got ahold of the Komatsu Service guy... He says straight 30 weight.... Now where is the drain plug for the steering fluid reservior...Have the fill plug... I am still looking for a manual...

  11. #11Drifter2010-03-02 00:22

    John Deere excavators use 80-90 gear oil or an equivalent synthetic oil. Pump drives are suppose to be filled with engine oil but they run noisy so we put 80-90 in them to. 2000 hrs is the service interval but it is cheap insurance to change it at 1000hrs. Used gear oil smells horrible its even worse when you have limited slip additive in them.

  12. #12Reuben2010-03-12 19:14

    I Have noticed the final drive on our one excavator we have had a smell just like natural gas. I actually shut the machine down once and started looking for a gas line I thought we may have struck. Turns out it is just the final drive on it.

  13. #13412neal2010-03-13 15:11

    I have a cat 308 (grey Market) with the same condition