Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stolen 580 Super K

handtpipeline ยท 2009-08-16 17:10

I had a Case 580 Super K stolen off the jobsite in Sand Springs Oklahoma sometime between 4:30 Friday afternoon and 3:30 Saturday afternoon. (8/14/09-8/15/09) All implements on ground, dash locked with padlock, and manual kill lever on injection pump wired in kill position. They drove it off the jobsite (we folowed tracks to where they got on asphalt. Description: Purchased new 8/21/92 2 wheel drive, open ROPS, standard hoe with 24" bucket. Serial Number JJG0170595 Distinguishing Features: Has 4 fork hooks on front bucket. Not factory made style, cut out of 1" plate by hand. Stabilizer pads worn down smooth. Hand throttle extremely stiff. Loader control sticks in return to dig position. Does not have extendahoe, but has extra lever for it for remote hydraulics. Last for digits of serial number welded on outside of large ROPS posts with stainless steel rod (0595) Seat does not latch. Dash is loose, and most gauges do not work. Parking brake does not work. I know from the description, it sounds like a worn out piece of junk. But it really wasn't. It still looked pretty good, ran great, was stout and reasonably tight. It would actually out-dig our 2006 580 M.:beatsme

Replies25
  1. #1stock2009-08-16 17:36

    Sorry for the theft ,maybe it time to start cutting off hands like they do in some very sandy countries....for this type of crime...

  2. #2willie592009-08-16 19:59

    I hate thieves, I hate thieves, I hate thieves...did I say I hate thieves!

  3. #3Speedpup2009-08-16 20:15

    Sorry for your loss hope they get caught. Even if it was a claw hammer it was yours not thiers. Not much lower than a thief few things but not much I can think of.

  4. #4ROD BURNER2009-08-16 20:32

    Sounds to me if you had a kill switch wired in it had to be someone that has been aroundthe piece before. Just my 2 cents worth!!!

  5. #5D5G2009-08-16 21:26

    I agree with ROD BURNER, I would be looking at any ex-employees (if you had any) or anyone else that might know the machine. If not the theives are getting much much smarter, which is scary. Sorry to hear of your misfourtune. Good luck. EDIT: You should register it with every website possible, I know machinerytrader.com has an online registration database you can use.

  6. #6V16CatMetKanick2009-08-18 18:40

    My cousin had a old trojan rear steer loader stolen and they figured out what it was they returned it and the cops arrested them. Come to find out, they had about 20 stolen machines at 1 of the guy's house along with stolen snowmobiles, dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, cars, and guns. They're locked up for along time now. Some criminals are very DUMB!!

  7. #7reaper0202009-08-23 00:24

    That sucks sorry to hear. Man there has been alot of equipment getting stolen lately

  8. #8watglen2009-08-23 09:53

    Seems to be a rash of theft/vandalism lately. I was ordering new windows etc for my unit after it was vandalized, the parts guy said it was the third incident that week. Seemed like something weird was going on to him....

  9. #9xcavator1202009-08-23 11:54

    I hope they find it. So far we've not had any problems here, however Sperry is not that far away. I'll keep my eyes open, since there are several contractors working in this area..

  10. #10handtpipeline2009-08-29 02:50

    Here's how I blocked everything in tonight. Left jobsite at about 6 PM. Got a call at 10:45 PM that someone was seen messing around equipment. They had the dash apart on the grader, and the ignition switch out of it, I think they probably had a Komatsu key, and were trying to get the grader started before moving the 61, to get to the backhoe...:Banghead

  11. #11handtpipeline2009-08-29 02:53

    Did get a vehicle description. Greyish-Purple (plum?) colored mid to late 90's Chevy Astro van. At least 4 people involved.

  12. #12stock2009-08-29 03:14

    One might have to do some baby sitting for awhile handpipeline I have a feeling in my guts they will be back...

  13. #13handtpipeline2009-08-29 03:51

    That's what I'm thinking too. They know they were seen tonight, but I think they'll be back.

  14. #14amunderdog2009-08-29 07:49

    handtpipeline - 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM - Stolen 580 Super K handtpipeline - Today, 02:50 AM - Got a call at 10:45 PM that someone was seen messing around equipment. This is just messed up. Is this the replacement backhoe? Where do you take a backhoe with an Astro van? Looked at the map.. Think they are driving into the reservation?

  15. #15tippatone2009-08-29 08:29

    I pray that you can find them and take a claw hammer to their hands and smash their bones to pulp. I know is frustrating not to be able to put hands on them:Banghead

  16. #16handtpipeline2009-08-30 01:47

    No, before this I had 3. The 580 Super K, a 580 Super L with a cab, then this 580 M. The drove the super K off.

  17. #17D5G2009-08-30 18:52

    Time for some human sized snap traps..... I would get a gun or two and start babysitting. See if you can offer some OT to your employees as well, you never know what these four people might be carrying. One thing for sure, you don't want to be out gunned if they are carrying. Do you have a chained enterance / exit? If not, I highly suggest doing so....even if it doesn't stop them but slow them down enough for someone to get a good look or for johnny law to show up is enough. Good luck!

  18. #18handtpipeline2009-08-31 01:30

    Well, I carry a Desert Eagle .44 Mag, with 3 eight round clips. I've got everything from a .32 auto to two .45 autos, and the .44. Then .22 rifle to scoped .257 Roberts, 30-30, scoped 303 British. 20 gauge to 12 gauge... And access to an AK or an AR-15. It's kinda like American Express...Don't leave home without it. We blocked the entry off for a long time (we had a 500 gallon fuel tank stolen from here last year), but they're trying to start selling lots now, so blocking it really isn't an option. I just absouletly can't stand thieves or vandals.

  19. #19tippatone2009-08-31 06:43

    I got a Sig Sauer .45, maybe we should have a thief party and lay in wait for the guys and give them what they deserve ointhead

  20. #20ghitch752009-08-31 09:16

    if they catch they should hang them like in the good'ol days!!!!.......

  21. #21xcavator1202009-09-16 20:46

    Heard this on the news today, and just read about it. Might be worthwhile to give the sheriff's office a call... I know it does not mention construction equipment, but they don't release all information to the press. They may have machinery that they don't know where it came from..

  22. #22handtpipeline2009-09-17 02:04

    I heard about that deal in Kansas. I still think it's around here though, by them driving it thru town during the evening. Just a gut feeling. Oh well... On a better note, I found a GREAT deal on a 2007 580 Super M. 148 hours, cab w/ heat and air, stereo, 4x4, extendahoe, ride control and pilot controls. I'm trading my 580 Super L in on the deal, that'll give us 2 4x4 extendahoes, counting the 580 M. That's all we really need right now. We havn't really needed 3 rubber tired hoes in quite a while. I used to have 7 when we did a lot of town work, but quit doing that in '96. We have 2 trackhoes that we use (5 altogether) 2 dozers, a grader, 3 sidebooms (havn't been used in forever) 4 trenchers, a dragline, boring machines... And there is a grand total of 6 of us. 3 of us are actual operators, 1 dump truck driver, and 2 laborers that can operate a little in a pinch.

  23. #23heavylift2009-09-17 03:40

    ya know if the thief was caught.... it would be near impossible to find him. wink.... wink....

  24. #24V16CatMetKanick2009-09-23 23:33

    I've got 2 Barrett .50 cal rifles, an M82A4 and a M99A1 we could use along with 72 handguns and 100 other rifles

  25. #25tonka2009-09-24 00:05

    so what your saying is that you own a gun store....... thanks i'm here all week LOL!:drinkup:usa