Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Customer Service in ’09

RTSmith ยท 2009-08-15 22:59

I have a story that I think needs to be told, and am hoping this is a good place to post it. A few weeks ago I went to the Ritchie Bros. auction in Nashville, TN. to pick up a dump truck. Well, I stuck around a while to see what else they might "give away" if you know what I mean. Well, after forever in the summer sun, I bought a Blue Diamond Attachments (from ATCO Eqpt.) rock bucket for my skid steer, frankly for a song. Didn't go to buy it, but for the money and the reputation for quality, I knew I could put it to use. So when I get home, I'm of course having to sweet talk the missus about the truck, but it is like "Honey- look what else I got that you said you could use!". So I get it out of the truck to hook it up- and it won't. I cannot get the ss to lock on. OK, I'm a newbie but we do have 5 attachments and have this switching out thing down pat. But try as I might- no dice. The ss carriage just will not tuck up far enough to let the locks latch. Boy do I have egg on my face with the better half now! So I look, do some welding clean up, but still no dice. Figure I learned my lesson about auctions.... A few days later, I work up the nerve to call ATCO Eqpt. Spoke to a salesperson who says, Hmmm, don't know. Never heard of that. But promises to call me back. He did call back. Tells me you know, it was bought at an auction. I tell him I know, and understand all that it implies, but just felt they might want to know. He tells me he understands, and says he'll see what he can do. A couple of days later, Aaron calls me (I understand he's an owner of the Co.) and asks what's up. I relate what I've seen. He asks me to check a couple of things, and that he'll take care of it. We speak a couple of days later, my checking didn't really answer anything, and he's very plain and clear- You know, we send these to auction, they don't carry a warranty, and we lost our shirt on what you paid- but this isn't right. Let me check on it. A couple of days later Aaron calls back, and tells me that he is sending me another bucket and picking up mine. I am over 200 miles away, but that doesn't matter to him. Last week ATCO's truck came to me with a new bucket, and picked up the one I bought. I had no warranty, nothing required from anyone, but Aaron sent out a truck and driver (with another bucket no less!) to me, to make me happy. I'm sorry- but if more of business folks acted like this, life would be more fun! I understand I bought "where is- as is". I didn't expect anything- But I got a lot! And while I cannot ever buy much (remember the wife mentioned earlier ) - you can be sure that Blue Diamond Attachments by ATCO Eqpt. will be my first choice. Many of us are small business owners who have had it tough lately, and I wanted to share a bright spot in the landscape. If Aaron from ATCO says it is so, it'll be so. And I found this refreshing! Thanks to Aaron and ATCO!

Replies9
  1. #1willie592009-08-15 23:25

    RTSmith, I want to personnally thank you for this kind post at the forum. I will forward this post on to Aaron as I know he will be thrilled to see it. I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-08-16 00:06

    That is a great story of a company that will stand behind its products, whatever the case may be. My hat is off to ATCO for doing the right thing, even when they did not have to. That is the true mark of character.

  3. #3RTSmith2009-08-16 00:12

    ATCO- During this, I kept hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Aaron renewed my faith in the dedications of the small, family owned business. Please, tell him Thank You (again)for me. I can understand why you can enjoy working at ATCO. Take care, and be safe in the shop.

  4. #4willie592009-08-16 00:26

    LoL...yeah, I pay mind to being safe in the shop. But I don't work just in the shop, that's why I'm here at the forum. If I can do anything to help out an owner/operator repair their broken machine...then I'm a happy guy!

  5. #5stock2009-08-16 03:45

    well with people like ATCOEQUIP in there employment one is guaranteed to get top shelf service..

  6. #6RonG2009-08-16 04:44

    What a great article to read at 4:30 sunday morning.It renews our faith in humanity.It made me glad I got up to face another day.Thanks for posting this,thanks to Aaron for making it possible.Ron G

  7. #7DigDug2009-08-16 05:50

    Sounds like a honarable man! Why am I up at 5:49 am?

  8. #8Klotski2009-09-10 12:47

    Very rare these days, i think you got lucky. just trying to get my first 3 replies in so i can start a new thread. Paul

  9. #9CatManDoes2009-09-21 03:35

    hi,, the post was quite informative....