Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Storage in the shop

Old Doug · 2022-06-18 11:58

I would love to have a shop were it was just a shop not a storage building also. I only mow the field and along the road 2 times a year so the tractor i use sets in the back of the shop. Its always a job to get it out to use. Its time to mow so i am cleaning up the shop to get it out. With any good shop cleaning you find a project or 2 that you stop and work on . I found the tire off the skidsteer that needed to be repaired to replace the spare it has on it now so i fixed it. I will need to use the skid steer to move some stuff around in the shop and it isnt running right so it will need some work before the shop is cleaned up then who knows what else i will find to slow me down.

Replies33
  1. #1ianjoub2022-06-18 12:31

    You just need a bigger shop, or more than 1 building

  2. #2DMiller2022-06-18 14:28

    Mine is like that Doug, a scattered mess that should have had three times the building size &/or separate buildings.

  3. #3Labparamour2022-06-18 16:13

    In the soggy Pacific Northwest, it seems everything needs to be kept under cover. Poor DMiller took a misstep off the KW. I’m fearful of tripping over all the crap in my shop and winding up even worse off...and my wife could peek in and not realize I’m buried under something (until the smell got bad ). And, cleaning crap out is like digging in soft sand- something else falls into/fills the space.

  4. #4DMiller2022-06-18 16:34

    Hey now I really resemble that remark!!

  5. #5efnfast2022-06-18 16:49

    I'm looking for a new shed. The wife says "don't build two". I think it might be a 48 x 64.

  6. #6DMiller2022-06-18 16:56

    Double all dimensions and will still be too small!!

  7. #7Labparamour2022-06-18 17:35

    Sorry Truth be told, all the pics I’ve seen of your restoration, shop floor and surroundings look pretty tidy... (And I hope your “liquid analgesic” is getting you on the mend!)

  8. #8Old Doug2022-06-19 09:50

    I will be able to drive the tractor out today. I made a scrap pile and a trash pile it helped a little. I had plans to take some more stuff to the monthly consignment auction but i have not got a check from the last stuff they sold. I was hoping this auction place would work out i have alot of stuff that i would have taken there to sell. Its some thing the stuff a guy saves. You get some thing put it in a building trip over it move it around finally getting it back in a corner out of the way then one day you toss it in the trash.

  9. #9joe--h2022-06-19 12:18

    Sounds like another door for that tractor would do the trick. Get out the sawzall & doit toit. Joe H

  10. #10Old Doug2022-06-19 20:21

    I have thought about this alot. It would also be good if i had a door out the side to get to my storage trailer to.I got a start on the mowing . This is afar tractor its a 860 that was used to death but always kept running buy a jury rig baling wire fix. It was owned by a guy that bought it with the clutch out. I put a clutch in it and he died years later my dad bought it and another D17 at his sale. Dad wanted it painted so we painted it.

  11. #11chidog2022-06-24 03:02

    There is no such thing as a shop that is too large. I would be happy with 10 costco size warehouses as shops. And of course the $ to fill them. I just like the idea of needing binoculars to figure out what corner all the junk is in.

  12. #12Old Doug2022-06-24 08:52

    You dont need a huge building to loss track of whats in the corner. I have a 28 foot van trailer that i cant find anything in. I dont know what part of the brain makes you think you need to save stuff but i wish i could turn it off. I loaded a load of scrap yesterday and there was a small hand crank winch i threw it on the load after thinking or a dozen reasons why i should keep it along with several others i have that i dont have a use for.

  13. #13Labparamour2022-06-24 09:40

    Ha, so true. And when I can’t find anything now, I can’t blame the kids anymore for moving my stuff!

  14. #14Old Doug2022-06-25 11:16

    There is alot of cans of paint around the shop and every were else . I tryed to find a place were i could get rid of it but that didnt work out. I am going to open the cans and let it dry out this may take some time maybe a year or more . Then i can send the cans through the trash system. I think i will set it on pallets with another pallet or some thing on top then cover it up in a way that air can get to it. Getting all the paint out of the shop will free up alot of space. I think paint is high on the list of wasted money . There is thousands of gallons bought and never opened or cans bought some used out of then never needed or used agin. They are wright below Deep freezers on the list of money through away.

  15. #15ianjoub2022-06-25 11:45

    Pour the paint on the ground. It will dry much faster. You can then get it up with a shovel or rake.

  16. #16DMiller2022-06-25 12:20

    Take a soft plastic drain pan of some sort, spread some paint in allow to dry peel it out and repeat. Can then go in regular trash.

  17. #17Old Doug2022-06-25 12:58

    These ideals would work but i may have around a hundred gallons.

  18. #18DMiller2022-06-25 14:13

    Bigger plastic something!!! Kiddy Pool?

  19. #19Mobiltech2022-06-25 14:43

    Make one of those fancy abstract art thingys and sell t to some sap for a million bucks then build a new shop with the cash! It’s just that easy!

  20. #20DMiller2022-06-25 14:57

    There is the Money maker Doug!!!

  21. #21muddog19752022-06-30 21:56

    The local dump place said " fill the paint cans with cat litter/oil dry" and they would take it.

  22. #22crane operator2022-06-30 22:47

    Can you fill them after you cross the scale? or do you have to scale the kitty litter too? I'm that tight.....

  23. #23muddog19752022-07-01 00:49

    LOL they way they explained it was fill them with litter and let it become a solid, then they can be dump. There's just no easy/cheap way for disposal. Good luck.

  24. #24joe--h2022-07-01 01:03

    As someone suggested earlier, dump it on the ground. In a few days it's just a lump of dried paint with dirt stuck to the backside. Works well, I emptied a shed full a few years ago. If it's oil mix it a bit. Joe H

  25. #25Old Doug2022-07-01 08:00

    I have gathered up 60 gallons from 2 buildings and have two more places to go. There maybe 20 gallons that havent been opened i may see if habitat for humanity will take it. The bad thing about litter to dry them out is the ones that are full or almost full some would have to be dumped into another container to make room. Then the litter or oil dry is not cheap. I am always looking for the fast way but i have time to let them set and dry out. I found a spot beside a building to stack the pallets but even if i set them on something the termites will eat the pallets up. I will need to spray or treat the ground with something.

  26. #26Tinkerer2022-07-01 09:20

    I have burnt a lot of paint and varnish through the years. One time a 1/2gallon of varnish made a spectacular expulsion ! Like tires, It doesn't create smoke at night.

  27. #27Delmer2022-07-01 14:35

    Put an add on craigslist or facebook marketplace and somebody will take most of the paint, the let the junk dry or pour out on bare ground, don't do it on sod!

  28. #28Truck Shop2022-07-01 19:02

    I don't keep anything anymore, haven't for a long time now. The one B model cat I had I sold it 4 months ago. A pile of 855 parts went to scrap yard, transmission parts scrap. Got rid of my collection of 383's/440's. Long ways back. I had a collection of Ford performance parts, and just to give an idea of how much. Between the blocks, cranks and heads/ 351C, 428/428CJ/SCJ, 429/429CJ/SCJ, and various other engine/trans parts. It took 4 3/4 ton pickup loads and a C65 chevy to haul it away. Best thing I ever did was get rid of that stuff. That way when I'm gone no one has to deal with it. A big reason I dumped that Mack. The only thing that will have to be dealt with is my dirty KW hat and that can be carried to the dumpster with a stick.

  29. #29crane operator2022-07-01 19:39

    Oh I gotta see that hat. How about some pictures of that stylish attire? You can't tease us with statements like that....

  30. #30Truck Shop2022-07-01 19:55

    You don't have enough sweat stains in yours plus the bill needs a layer of grease thick enough you can't see the threads. And I can't leave out the stink.

  31. #31DMiller2022-07-01 20:43

    I have actually washed my Harley Cap a FEW times, started out Deep Black. Letters used to be vibrant Red. 3XL Bucket Head sized, not Adjustable. Pretty well Wife refuses to touch it even after cleaned. Can relate to Clearing the Shelves, started that a couple years back, will be done in a couple more. EMPTY!!

  32. #32muddog19752022-07-01 23:02

    Good idea!

  33. #33Old Doug2022-07-02 08:33

    I got rid of 15 running engines when i moved. I have half a pickup load of Quadrajets and Holleys. I hauled home over 2000 pounds of special Metric bolts lug studs and other specialty type bolts that i will never use but i have them. If i haul something that i have saved off for scrap and use the money to buy a tool or something that i can use i dont fill so bad about it. I havnt seen any money from the auction place were i took some stuff so that has not been a great way to get rid of stuff. He didnt sell every thing and maybe i will see the money after the next sell or maybe we need to have a talk.