Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Storing CAT 259D for the Winter

Satish ยท 2019-12-18 06:20

I have a 2015 CAT 259D. I don't use the unit much during winter months (now until late March). I don't have a garage to store it in although it is parked underneath a carport. Aside from a battery tender, are there any other recommendations for winter storage (PS. I live in lower Michigan - Detroit area) Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632019-12-18 07:36

    Make sure there is no water in your fuel system that can freeze up, and check your antifreeze level in the cooling system. I personally would tarp over the machine if it was mine just to help protect it from the elements.

  2. #2KSSS2019-12-18 09:21

    Near Detroit? I would Hilti it to the concrete and put Lojack gps on it.

  3. #3Satish2019-12-18 10:10

    Well...it's actually in Bloomfield Hills. No Lojack needed in this area

  4. #492U 34062019-12-18 12:25

    I'd just give it a good cleaning inside and out. That and make sure the coolant strength is up to snuff.

  5. #5seville0092019-12-18 12:35

    Top off the fuel, unplug the battery, stuff something in the cold air intake to keep varmits out, and cover it all with a plastic tarp.....done

  6. #6CMC762019-12-22 11:47

    Get some of the rodent repellant pouches as well. Mice get in and like to chew.

  7. #7JBrady2020-01-06 16:15

    x2 on the rodent stuff. It's amazing how such a small animal can cause so much damage.

  8. #8CMC762020-01-06 22:59

    Funny the notification came up. Sure enough I jump in my machine and a big field mouse is right at my feet. So now I added poison too. The mice can choose which to respond to. The pouches or the poison.