I have a 2013 247b3 and for some reason the hour meter is always counting even when the machine isn’t running and the key is off. I will shut it down at the end of the day and I will come back the next morning and there will be another 10-12 hrs on it from sitting overnight. I unscrewed the hour meter from the dash and when I disconnect the green signal wire from the back of the meter it stops counting. Anyone have any ideas where the signal wire goes and why its not telling it to stop counting when the machine is off?
A Serial Number will locate the correct Electrical Schematic. That will help you to locate where the wire goes.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw2x-n0IGOX2iP-B4RsfEKuT That's link to schematic
The other end of the 403 circuit goes to alternator. It doesn't go anywhere else.
Or this one depending on serial number
Ok I will have to do some digging in to this. Thank you
Please post the Serial Number so that you can be working with the correct Schematic.Tthere are three different Serial Number prefixes of 247B3 to choose from.
I was going to make some smart *** remark about the night crew was running it!Oh wait guess I just did! Like Nige says to be safe a full serial number is the best bet to get accurate answers. Cat on some machines liked to redesign the wiring on what looked to be the same machine. One example is the 988B 50W! There was around three or four completely different electrical systems on those!
On a quick look I found three Electrical Schematics applicable to various versions of the 247B3. IMHO it would be a good idea to know which is the appropriate one for this particular machine.
The serial number is TSL01509
Okay, so if that 403 wire goes from the alternator to the hour meter does this mean there is a "leak" in the alternator feeding the hour meter at night? I'm a bit rusty on some of these things. Would it pay to check for voltage at the "R" terminal with key off?
Ok so I put my multimeter on the W terminal on the alternator with the key off and the engine not running and I am getting voltage there. Does that mean that my alternator is bad?
Is that with the green 403 wire removed from the terminal?
No that was with the green wire still attached. I’ll have to try it again with the wire removed
Ok so I figured it out. I took the alternator off and brought it to a auto electric shop where they tested it for me and they confirmed that it was bad. I had them rebuilt it for me and now the problem is no longer occurring. It is only counting when the engine is running like its supposed to. Now I just need to bring the machine to cat and have them reset and certify the correct hours. Thank you guys for all your help.
Glad to have helped, not sure if a dealer will or can reset an hour meter. Sounds like it might be looked at the same as turning back the odometer in a car or truck. I know you have a good reason why your's is off just wondering if it would be considered legal. How many hours did it put on due to this alternator problem? I might be tempted to just print out this thread on the forum and attach it to the records for your machine to use as evidence if anyone ever brings up the hours during a sale. You also may have a better chance of trying to get the dealer to put something in writing on their letterhead confirming they were made aware of the discrepancy in hours.
Was your alternator still charging the battery and otherwise working correctly when you were having this issue? I'm having the exact same issue with the hour meter counting up when the machine is off, but my alternator is still charging my battery. Not sure if it's worth having an alternator shop take a look.