Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Strange buyer’s

Welder Dave · 2024-03-23 21:45

Do you ever feel like telling someone that's interested in something your selling to either put up or shut? The guy buying the welder wants it but somehow figures I need to accommodate him because he's 4 1/2 hours away. I said for me to drive 2 hours to meet you how about $100 extra. He figured it was too much and said he has to drive 2 1/2 hours. So, I felt like saying if you want it that bad come here and get it or quit wasting my time. I said I'd throw in a 50lb. can of rods. They didn't really cost me anything and aren't rods I'd use much. I said cash is the best way to pay. Oh, this is for my business so I don't know if I can pay with cash, let me ask my wife. I told him I have a business and could add GST to the price. His wife told him cash is fine and just need a receipt with my name and address. Yeah, I can give you a receipt. I feel like I'm going out of my way to accomodate him. He seems a little worried it's not a good machine because I couldn't send a video from my phone longer than 3 seconds. Another case where I'm thinking if you're not sure then don't buy it. I wouldn't offer some lessons with it if it wasn't a good welder. Then he wants it pretty quick on his schedule. Thankfully I've got a retired friend that can go with me in case I have problems with my back or he tries to pull something like trying to pay less than we agreed. I don't know if many other people selling something would be so accommodating. I'd rather deliver it 45 minutes away and give an hour of lessons for $100 or $150 less. Anybody else ever had to deal with a guy like this?

Replies189
  1. #1Drag racer2024-03-23 21:51

    Sometimes I hate trying to sell anything , seems like this type are common waste a lot of your time.

  2. #2712alberta2024-03-23 22:49

    I'm a bit of a jackas* when it comes to dealing with people when selling things. If I give a price and location, you come to that location with the cash or no deal. I hate taking time to deal with people who show up and try to haggle the price down. The price is the price, don't waste my time. If its equipment, its already been inspected, and any problems have been fixed or noted and the price reflects needed repairs. Most people are good. The worst are the artsy fartsy types who want to stuff to refurbish. The wood reclaimers are terrible. Last guys who came around ended up watching me lighting the wood they were after on fire. Personally I'd tell the guy the price is the price and its in my yard, if you want it come and get it. If not don't waste my time.

  3. #3Joe H2024-03-24 00:29

    Dave, you're getting to be a strange seller. Stop trying to please the buyer, it is what it is and if you want it come and get it. Bring cash or don't come. Joe H

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-03-24 01:01

    I certainly wouldn't drive 2 hours away for less than $100. It's good I have someone to go with me. If the guy doesn't want to pay the $1000 he agreed to I'll bring it back home. It's like he thinks he's doing me a favor driving to meet me. I'm going out of my way to accomodate him. Anymore of his cheapness and I'll tell him forget it. If you want it come here and it's $900 cash.

  5. #5Old Growth2024-03-24 01:31

    Id never drive more than 10 miles to meet someone for a big ticket item. He knows your already into it $100 in time and gas so hes going to dicker ya and offer $200 less or more because he knows you will take instead of driving home with no sale AND a wasted investment of time/drive. I dont think the guy is even going to show or commit anyways. He will probably end up buying a chineeeese inverter welder at the last moment and bail on ya, lol!

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-03-24 03:08

    Wishful thinking on your part since you figured I'd never sell the welder. Why would he want pics. of the plug and power requirements for his electrician? Why would he drive 2 1/2 hours to take a gamble he could talk me down and drive back home empty handed if I said no? He's out even more time and fuel than I am if he did that. He just doesn't realize I'm going out of my way to accomodate him not the other way around. I'll be talking to him before I go and make it clear $1000 is the price, no negotiation. I'll bring the welder back if he doesn't pay what he agreed to. I don't think that's going to happen. He knows I've got some health and back problems too. Would have to be a real sleeze bag to stiff me.

  7. #7Tinkerer2024-03-24 07:25

    I find it hard to believe anyone would drive very far and go home empty handed. Old Growth; Perhaps you wouldn't "drive more than 10 miles to meet someone for a big ticket item" That doesn't mean anyone else would have the same limitation. I drove 11 1/2 hours one way to buy a "big ticket item". I had part of the payment in a cashiers check and $8000.00 cash.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2024-03-24 10:21

    Yep, just tell them it’s no longer for sale. I really hate when someone wants to tell you their life’s story or other crap. It’s like they just make up crap or excuse. Never worth the grief, I wouldn’t drive 10 minutes to sell a 500$ welder. I did drive an 1 1/2 to pick up a 1000$ Syncrowave 250 with a Miler 2 Coolmate cooler and a nice pedal.

  9. #992U 34062024-03-24 10:38

    I don't accomodate anybody. They knew damn well where the item was located when they inquired about it. Not my problem, either figure out how to get here or pay up for my time. Going forward I'm going to start holding people accountable for their offers if they make one sight unseen too. Getting tired of all these idiots out there. I've got no problem telling someone to go pound sand if they're being unreasonable.

  10. #10Shimmy12024-03-24 11:21

    I've had to eat this one the hard way a couple times. Looks good in pics and the story sounds good, tell them you'll take it, can't get there for a week to pick it up, and you're afraid someone else is going to snatch it up. Get there, and realize you should have tried to barter it down because it is not at all what you thought, or what the owner described. Obviously a guy can walk away from a deal, but after driving 3 fckin hours, that isn't always a logical decision.

  11. #11mekanik2024-03-24 11:36

    A friend tells me its the same way on the dating sites.

  12. #1292U 34062024-03-24 11:43

    That is true. I try and stick to only looking at things a 1 hour radius from home for the most part. I've got no issues sending someone additional pictures, video or information on something I'm selling. I'd rather they decide against coming to look at an item before they drive out to look in person. I'm not out to waste someone's time either.

  13. #1392U 34062024-03-24 11:45

    Your friend is not wrong. Its a dumpster fire lol.

  14. #14Old Growth2024-03-24 13:13

    I’ve driven across this country to BUY stuff. But I’ll be damned if I’m gonna drive anywhere to deliver an item to someone that sounds wishy washy and give them leverage or trust.

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-03-24 13:14

    It's also the case of a bird in hand. It would be a lot easier if someone local bought it, even for a little less money but I have someone who wants it now. A bit of a hassle but I get extra for it and don't have to deal with a bunch of tire kickers or scammers. I can understand the guy wanting to make sure it works good but I'm sure he'll love it if his old welder was an AC buzz box. Some people can be a little odd and he could be wondering if he's making the right decision. Not that it's a wrong decision but it's a bunch of money and he could be really frugal. I've bought things where I'm a little unsure if I need it or just want it. $1000 is a lot of money for some people to buy something without trying it out themselves. If he did I'm sure it would sell itself.

  16. #16DMiller2024-03-24 13:14

    Calls from OH for the KW look to be Bargain Hunters, IOW "What else can you knock off price?" Phone sends unknowns to a answering device only so if no message do not care just delete, any that leave message and over half a state away, I now no longer call back, just not worth the waste of time.

  17. #17DDoug2024-03-24 13:19

    I've had a couple of times people wanting to lowball offer on the phone. I tell them al the same thing. "If I accept your offer, you come and pay for it, and take it. No backing out, no lower offers." Never had anyone take me up on it.

  18. #1892U 34062024-03-24 13:31

    "What's the lowest price you'll take?" That line really rubs me the wrong way. I don't even want to deal with them anymore. Make a reasonable offer and we'll go from there.

  19. #19Welder Dave2024-03-24 13:37

    I tried to send a video but could only send about 3 seconds at a time. You can hear the smooth arc in 1 of them. He can see the full video when he meets me. I've done everything I possible could to give him piece of mind it's a good welder and it's not $500, it's $1000. For $500 I wouldn't go more than 30 minutes away.

  20. #20Welder Dave2024-03-24 13:40

    I've had people like that, what's your lowest price? You haven't even seen it and you figure it should be less money. Don't waste my time.

  21. #21Shimmy12024-03-24 13:46

    Well, what you consider a fair price, what everyone else considers a fair price, and what actually IS a fair price might all be the same, or hundreds/thousands of dollars apart. Just because you think someone is getting a hell of a deal, or maybe even a fair price doesn't make it so. Also, just because you bought something cheap doesn't automatically entitle you to make a buck on it.

  22. #22Shimmy12024-03-24 14:16

    Why in the hell are there two threads with the same title?

  23. #23Old Growth2024-03-24 14:17

    Come and look and show me your serious, and Ill consider your offer in person. I tell them Im willing to deal, IN PERSON.

  24. #24crane operator2024-03-24 14:26

    Don't get all upset. Things aren't ever all screwed up at your place? They are at mine.

  25. #25Shimmy12024-03-24 14:28

    Sorry. I spent 5 minutes jumping around trying to figure out why I couldn't see what I posted after Dave commented on the second thread, after already being irritated by the pissing and moaning going on.

  26. #26Mobiltech2024-03-24 15:15

    I’ve had times where I buy something I shouldn’t just because I drove too far to leave with nothing. I went to buy a camper 4 hours away which looked real good in pictures and priced right. I get there and the first thing is it’s a year older model than the add says which makes you lose the led lights. Oh well knock the price down. Then I see someone has been adjusting the slide out to try and get it fitting better. Work is clearly fresh but owner denies having touched it. Knock the price down some more and then against better judgement I make an offer which he quickly accepts. Oh **** now it’s mine. I bring it home and find out it has had some hokey wall repairs done and done wrong which is why slideout won’t line up. I spend the next few days fixing the F U. Swallow my pride and carry on.

  27. #27digger242j2024-03-24 18:19

    Threads merged. Now there's only one. But I didn't bother to sift through and see if any of the replies are duplicates. You guys can figure that out.

  28. #28Welder Dave2024-03-24 21:28

    Don't know there were 2 threads with the same title. I started a 2nd thread because a couple people seemed to think they knew more than I did about the market for a welder here. The 2nd thread was just about buyers feeling like they're doing you a favor when you go out of your way for them. The buyer never even asked about a lower price. He just seemed to not like the extra $100 for me to drive 2 hours to meet him. It's not worth it for any less. I could have easily said no. The comment I made regarding people wanting a lower price over the phone without seeing something wasn't in reference to the welder. I think some people forget I'm in Canada. Knock about $250 off for a US price. Then it's about a $400-450 welder. A damn good $450 welder that will last a lot longer than any inverter ever will and burn all rods with ease without needing a bunch of electronic gimmicks just to be able to strike an arc.

  29. #29HarleyHappy2024-03-25 11:35

    What is with all the Drama in here? I don’t think nobody said the boat anchor of a welder wouldn’t sell. It’s just not all that of a welder anymore. I can’t believe we have 2 pages for an old welder but yes compared to a buzz box, a Dial Arc weld beautifully but I thought he had a Thunderbolt. Those weld pretty nice.

  30. #30Welder Dave2024-03-25 12:52

    It was certainly implied it was a big, loud old dinosaur and obsolete and it would be better to buy a cheap Chinese inverter and I'd never get my price for it. I said it was a Dialarc 250 AC/DC. If anyone thought it was a Thunderbolt they obviously weren't reading very carefully. I never asked for any drama. Originally I asked about putting a warranty on it. I wouldn't even consider that if I didn't think it was a good reliable machine. The buyer is a little odd but I know he's getting a good machine and will be happy with it.

  31. #31HarleyHappy2024-03-25 14:08

    I thought you said he had a Miller Thunderbolt welder that **** the bed? I never said you wouldn’t get the money for it. It’s certainly not worth that kind of money around here but then it’s always worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. It’s not implied it’s an old big loud dinosaur, it is an old loud big fat heavy dinosaur but they do throw nice beads. Lol, laugh a little Dave, it will do you some good. Hope the sale goes through.

  32. #32Truck Shop2024-03-25 17:18

    Now that this thread has ran awhile and I've sat and watched-----Most buyers are pests to the tune of 75% of them, and a percentage are buying/haggling because spending money they don't have makes them happy. And some pester others to sell because it's a case of {I have it you don't}. Story about a pestering type. Old job I worked repair towing--The owner was in the impound yard scrapping and smashing up some for a trip to scrap yard in Fife. I happen to be there dropping off a tow on impound. This guy I had seen hanging around before was talking to Don-I noticed this pester was getting agitated. Don was setting in the old conventional crane looking down at this turd, when he suddenly turned started the engine, raised the weight, swung to the left and let it drop. Right on a perfect front clip off a 1968 428 CJ STANG. He shut the engine off looked at the turd { Get off my property}. * See it wasn't the money, money had nothing to do with it---Don just didn't like the guy---- and was satisfied seeing him cry over crushed steel.

  33. #33Welder Dave2024-03-25 20:13

    He did have a Thunderbolt. Dialarc's were made up till about 2018. Lincoln still makes the Idealarc 250 which is in the same category. Hardly dionsaurs. Miller has gone to inverters and I'm sure one of the reasons is because they're cheaper to build. Reliabilty of a transformer I think is unrivaled. Since when is a fan that loud? Another poster said I'd never get what I'm asking. The guy texted me today to make sure everything is good to go tomorrow and his wife went to the bank to get the money. I think it's pretty safe to assume the sale is a done deal. I'm going to do up a bill of sale tonight and text it to him. I'm sure he'll be more than happy with it.

  34. #34kaffine2024-03-25 21:24

    Good luck with the sale. I am surprised you were willing to drive 2 hours for $100. Last time I asked someone how much to deliver an item across town (~30 minute) it was over $100. It wasn't worth it even though it meant I had to drive my truck with marginal AC across town when it was still hot out. I've driven 2.5 hours each way to buy a sheet metal break. I hope the seller didn't think I was that much of a hassle. I did ask if he was able to help load and said what equipment I could bring if needed. He replied that he had access to a skid steer and could just load it in the truck without issues. My first contact was early in the week and I was going to pick it up on Saturday so Friday I contacted him just to be sure the deal was still good. I called when I was about an hour out to let him know. I pullup take a quick look at the break and say I'll take it. He loads it on my truck and I pay him, then I spend 20 minute tying it down before driving off. I will drive a long distance for oddball stuff at a good price. Typically the price is already good enough I don't see a need to haggle.

  35. #35Bumpsteer2024-03-25 22:42

    I had a skid steer grapple bucket on c-list. Guy comes to look at it. "Think I'll pass" Ok, thanks Guy goes out one side of the circle drive and back in the other, gets out, changed my mind! I'll take it. Hands me the cash. Lol...***? Ed

  36. #36Tyler d4c2024-03-25 23:42

    I was pedaling a military surplus generator a few weeks ago I was asking 6000 he come to look at it and offered 5 I said no I want 6 he left and about 45 minutes later I get a message will you do 5500 no fella I want 6 he said ok ill be down Saturday for it. Let them walk if that's what you want someone will pay it!

  37. #37Welder Dave2024-03-26 00:10

    He seemed a little shocked when I said $100 so I threw in a 50lb. can of rods. I bought a bunch of rod for $25 and there were 2 50lb. cans of rod I didn't really need or want. Then he asked if they were open. I said no they're in a sealed can. Really? I didn't have to throw them in. Normally I either would have said I'll only drive an hour away or just said if you want it, come and get it. I didn't know how long it would take to find another buyer is why I agreed. I expect I might have had to lower my price $100 or $150. It would have been better to get $150 to go 2 hours but I figure I'm getting $150-$200 more than I would have got selling it local. I'm sure he would have said no if I said $150. I'm coming out ahead so that's the most important. He mentioned he has a neighbor who's a welder with a similar Lincoln. I'm guessing an Idealarc 250. If that's the case it's highly possible his neighbor told him it's a good machine. If there's a next time I'll do things differently. It's a PIA being a delivery service and having to move 400lb's. from 1 truck to another.

  38. #38IceHole2024-03-26 00:38

    Buyer's?

  39. #39DMiller2024-03-26 04:24

    Done with them for now here.

  40. #40Welder Dave2024-03-26 22:11

    Delivered the welder today. We stopped about half way there, had a bite to eat and then continued on. Not a lot of traffic and it didn't seem that long. About 1 3/4 hours driving. We got there early at 2 and it's a good thing because he was only 5 minutes later despite saying 2:30. He was much better in person. They slid the pallet the welder was on to the back of my tailgate and it rolled right into his truck easy peasy. He brought an envelope from the bank with the $1000 in it. I told him, I think you'll really like it. 45 minutes after I got back he texted me. Fired the old lady up and it welds like a dream! Hope it lasts. I responded it should last a lifetime. Awesome, thanks for your time Dave. Can't get better than that. I used a little less than a 1/4 tank of gas and have a 132 litre tank so made about a $550 profit in 2 weeks. $850 on 2 welders in a couple month's. I have a gas drive Big 40 to sell in the summer. Just need to clean it up a little after it was sitting under some tree's. Should be able to make $1000-$1500 on it. It's on a nice tandem axle trailer. I was going to keep the trailer to put my SA200 on but might sell it. Haven't decided yet. The trailer is worth about $1500 on its own.

  41. #41cfherrman2024-03-27 08:52

    It's good it worked out, sometimes it doesn't. I'm selling a broken jet ski for $400 and a guy wants me to deliver it 3.5 hours away for $100

  42. #4256wrench2024-03-27 09:00

    Well Dave, all’s well that ends well

  43. #43Welder Dave2024-03-27 12:24

    It was good. With some people you never know. Maybe his wife told him I'm doing him a big favor driving 2 hours to meet him?

  44. #44Welder Dave2024-03-27 12:29

    $100 extra per hour of driving.

  45. #45Old Growth2024-03-27 13:32

    Happy ending.

  46. #46Welder Dave2024-03-27 18:06

    Yes. I think the guy was like most people, wondering if he's making a good decision without being able to try it out first. He said he was reading up on Dialarc's so that might have eased his mind too. Just got a text from him. "Stretching the legs of the old girl. Welding 5/32" for a couple hours beautiful welds hardly working her." I'm really glad he's liking it.

  47. #47Old Doug2024-03-28 07:03

    My Dad had several things he wouldn't take less for now I am trashing ,scraping or giving them away. The experience has changed my way of thinking. I wonder if he or someone could see what was going to happen what if anything they would have done differently ?

  48. #48oarwhat2024-03-28 07:39

    My dad did that all the time. The stuff he couldn't get his price for usually turned to junk. He'd just let it rot. When he passed we had to scrap most of it.

  49. #49DMiller2024-03-28 08:39

    Depression era or the last of the Greatest Generation were all as that, have boxes of ‘stuff’ in laws had stuffed in their basement they thought might find use for, that would not sell open auction, wife cannot separate her emotions from this crap long enough to deal with it. I can as 90% is scrap or trash. I have started the reduction process of ‘stuff’ I collected for over fifty years, will either go to Goodwill, Church sale, scrap or dumpster. Tools I have no further desire of will be sold or traded away. All comes around to those that gain the knowledge is no longer necessary. BIL, wife’s older brother is also a packrat, he had stuff had no idea why he kept, retired METRO St. Louis where now is divesting his home of the “stored ****”!!

  50. #50mekanik2024-03-28 09:48

    When my siblings and I cleaned out my parents house I was shocked at how much garbage my Dad saved. We had a two yard dumpster dropped at the house and we filled it twice. My Dad never got rid of anything. I promised myself I would not do that to my children. I have spent the past couple years purging stuff that I really don't need and will continue doing more.

  51. #51Shimmy12024-03-28 11:48

    Here is the truth of the matter. Most of the people that saved all this stuff went through the Depression, and either learned to live, or didn't know any other way than having less than nothing. After going through that, they weren't taking any chances ever again. We can all talk so damn smart (nothing intended towards you, mekanik, or any other on here, myself included), but until we go through what these people did, we really have no idea. When you literally have nothing, anything you can assign a mental value to becomes important, and you live accordingly. I'm a pack rat according to the guys I work with. I grew up working on older machinery, and making do with the absolute barest minimum of funds for repair or replacement parts. Something that looks like scrap to most people can sometimes be the difference between fixing something for pennies, or having to go buy a part for thousands. I've done it, and I know many of you have too. I'm not trying to justify anything, point any fingers at anyone, or anything like that. Most of the younger generation has no idea, could not even comprehend the seriousness of a situation where you have to decide between new tires, food on the table, or heating fuel in the tank. And I hope they never do.

  52. #52Truck Shop2024-03-28 12:29

    A persons belly button scrapping on the spine has a way of adjusting what real priorities are.

  53. #53DMiller2024-03-28 13:06

    I ate a great deal of “vegetable soup” made primarily of Cab age in Beef Broth. Grandmother and Great Aunt( Granma’s sis) fed us as they always had eaten. Small Victory Garden for a few odd items, stories of neighbors picking and choosing what could trade with others for assortments on a table. We lived poor until I was late teens and Dad’s position at Mac became a great pay posting.

  54. #54Acoals2024-03-28 13:44

    ^^^^^^^^^ Right on.

  55. #55Old Doug2024-03-28 17:39

    Its kind of funny those people and my Dad couldnt see how much it cost to save stuff . I have stuff and I am going through it now but a lot of stuff costs more to keep than it costs to replace. I have a lot of ??? to ask myself and decisions to make .

  56. #56Shimmy12024-03-28 17:53

    I'm wondering if you could explain what exactly you're suggesting? If you mean "it costs" in terms of when someone else has to dispose of the **** for pennies on the dollar that they refused to accept to sell said piece, I get that completely. But, is there a direct cost you are referring to?

  57. #57DMiller2024-03-28 17:59

    Time Wasted costs. Time collecting, Storing out, cannot find later for use spending hours to not find or has weathered beyond re-use, wasted efforts wasted stored space, waste of more time disposing. Great Uncle spent hours straightening nails he pulled from his farm structures, to reuse as need to repair or patch. Can remember he arguing with my grandfather that any money spent of something disposable but reusable was waste even at pennies per lb, could not see the time spent doing as was interrupting other work that actually made money. I save SOME screws I remove from Carpentry rated assembly with screws, most end up bent or Heads damaged by bit spinouts, easier and more cost effective throw in the scrap bucket.

  58. #58Truck Shop2024-03-28 18:07

    Exactly--I had a collection of high performance Ford parts back in the 80's. I had to move the stuff twice, cranks, heads, blocks you name it was there. spent allot of time collecting and moving. I finally just said to hell with it put a ad in the Seattle paper. $3,800 takes it all, no picking through it. Three guys went together and bought the lot, three 3/4 ton pickups and a U-Haul to move it, best day in a long while.

  59. #59cfherrman2024-03-28 18:13

    My grandparents were millionaires a few times over. Last time I seen them Grandmas kitchen cloth was disintegrating, but was still using it. Grandpa invested in companies like apple in the beginning. If I don't need something for like 6 months I toss it, I grew up poor and have hoarder genes so it's hard but when your looking for something and only find junk and you have to buy new it sucks. I have never found razor blades, it's always a single use pack for me even if it was 50

  60. #60Mike L2024-03-28 18:35

    3 year rule. If I look at it for 3 years and don’t use it. Adios. Sell, trade, give it away or junk. It’s gone.

  61. #61Welder Dave2024-03-28 20:24

    Then there is the flip side. You have a special tool or something you used once and it sat around for years so you got rid of it. Then 3 weeks later you need it again and you're kicking yourself for getting rid of it. You don't want that to happen again so now you tend to hold onto things you might need in the future. If you get rid of it, sure enough you'll need shortly after. If you don't get rid of it, you'll never need it again. Decisions, decisions??? Chapter 3 how to become a hoarder.

  62. #62cfherrman2024-03-28 23:18

    Fasteners and tools should never be gotten rid of. Ives used many of bolts that come in tv mounting kits because they are a metric bolt.

  63. #63Old Growth2024-03-29 02:17

    Collecting things I don't need makes me happy and probably costs me lots of money. Happiness is priceless.

  64. #64Old Growth2024-03-29 02:23

    There is a great satisfaction in finding a useful chunk of scrap iron thats "just right" to weld onto something. Or the satisfaction of just walking out back and grabbing a perfect sized hoseclamp off and old radiator in the brass/copper pile. Or the grin you get after rounding up a pair of old rear axleshafts when ya need some "perfect" property corner marker stakes to pound into the earth. I love hoarding old ****. When I die, I hope a bunch of hoarders fight over my junk heap and get the same grin when they load it up and save it all from the scrap ship.

  65. #65DMiller2024-03-29 05:27

    And the day you sit down knowing it all meant little even to yourself it just becomes a hoarders mess you dropped on someone else to deal with. Not worth the trouble.

  66. #66DMiller2024-03-29 07:12

    Btw Been at the above condition. Takes 15 minutes drive to Hdwe or General merchandise or automotive store here, takes minutes to call and validate has what is needed. Can take all day to dig thru piles to find what Can or Can be made to work, even more effort to clean up the old part well enough to actually use. As age find the time it takes to Locate what knew I had that either is buried so deep as to be invisible or is so aged as to be unusable that those minutes to hours wasted are becoming far more precious than that brief and fleeting moment of considered achievement. Great Uncle passed away with several rusty tin cans of worse rusted nails of no use to anyone that he spent hours to straighten, piles of partially rotted or broken lumber of odd dimension planned to be reused ending up on a burn pile, a workbench of small mechanisms and broken tools meant to reuse somehow that collected dust and spider webs. Great Aunt would NOT go out and look at it, had her son in law dispose of everything that Ben had wasted days to weeks pondering of. I sort thru my crap piles, been shedding more and more as do not have the years left to massage junk to treasures or find the need to repair or replace mechanisms with with old repair material to the same mechanisms over and over, fix it right one time, done for years and years no second thoughts.

  67. #67Old Doug2024-03-29 07:52

    I hope I can explain this . Buildings,van trailers, houses and what is really bad is rental storage space. They cost money moving stuff around that you have owned for years cost money . Leaving your good vehicles outside because your garage is full of stuff you got free or cheap cost money. Time is money having to deal with something over and over cost money. I have had stuff for years and that day comes along when its needed and that fills great and makes it seem worth it but if its rusty dusty and needs cleaned up ?

  68. #68Shimmy12024-03-29 08:27

    I was hoping this wasn't the case. Completely understand the madness of buying or building to store useless stuff, storage units are the epitome of it all.

  69. #69Truck Shop2024-03-29 08:30

    Yes--The reason for photo's--take up less space--less rot, less spider webs, less buildings to store said crap, less scrap laying around spoiling the view, easier to mow the property, less fire hazard, I like old stuff just as long as it's hidden behind a fence or in a museum, I like old vehicles, but only so many are needed to represent history, scrap the rest. * I remember in 1989 scrap was up, owner decided to clean the yard out. There was a roving crusher from Great Falls Montana--{JB Junk}. JB had three roving crushers at the time. He showed up and crushed 140 some cars in one day. Next morning came in handed the weight slips and cash to the boss. Everything in that yard became total history, the yard became useable again.

  70. #70Truck Shop2024-03-29 08:40

    Rental storage----is a booming business. Storage units for the crazed public to store **** they couldn't afford plus didn't need. The internet and box stores have fed the shopping for crap frenzy---and perpetuated the storage unit business. Paying to store **** they didn't need. *

  71. #71stinky642024-03-29 08:57

    Knew a guy who got hooked on the storage auction craze, 90% of the stuff he acquired from those auctions was junk. He spent more money on dumpsters and landfill fees than any of that useless ***** was worth.

  72. #72DMiller2024-03-29 15:21

    Those that purchase expired rentals the owners refuse to pat up the rent say similar, 90% is *****, dumpster fodder, mildewed, moldy, particle board crap that should not have been moved but to a fire pit. The rest is rags clothing, old bedding, keepsakes no one remembers what for. On OCCASION a sleeping money pit is opened, prime 1700s or 1800s custom built furnishings and Treasure troves of period jewelry or clothing packed in sealed boxes. Tools collections from blacksmith made heirloom quality patterns. Seldom happens but as does someone makes a load of money. Local here opened one, owner of materials had passed, was into coin op laundries and car washes, had tin coffee cans of Silver Quarters and Dimes, 65 years of business worth hand sorted out. Several collector piece one lung Maytag Engines. Several other one lung International engines. No one knew they were there.

  73. #73Jimbo2024-03-29 21:58

    Interestingly, a pretty solid investment--owning the storage unit complex. On average, the renter's contents value equals three and one half months rent, after that, $$$$ down the drain

  74. #74Truck Shop2024-03-29 22:05

    Must be--there have been 3 large tracts of self store units built in the last year here in town. One thing for sure, storage units are eyesores around town.

  75. #75Bumpsteer2024-03-29 22:45

    Went in our old barn today, needed a rake & shovel. Grabbed a shovel and ***? Where did this come from? Fiberglass handle, split from end to end, taped at the top. I asked my hoarder father...."I found it". Well, you should have left it there. It's new storage place is in the village dumpster. My life is gonna suck when he passes. Ed

  76. #76Birken Vogt2024-03-30 00:44

    Rental storage space just keeps booming and booming. They just built a couple more across from my shop, made major improvements to the existing ones. Funny thing is, you don't see many people coming to visit their junk. It just sits there year after year incurring rent.

  77. #77Welder Dave2024-03-30 01:05

    Yeah, and they are just a rip off. I was overcharged $3/month for insurance that you had to buy. Their response was I was still covered. You overcharged me for a year and half. Give me a $50 credit or something. I had no choice than to get a storage unit. I sold my acreage and made it a condition I could keep some stuff in a corner of the garage for a month. The buyers seemed really sketchy so I got it out of there. Got a free month rental for signing a 6 month rental. They said I could get a similar deal if I needed to rent a unit longer. Nope, only new renters get a deal. That's really whacked. I'm a loyal customer but get punished for being one. I wish I could have built my pole shed earlier.

  78. #78DMiller2024-03-30 06:19

    Our Hamlet is seriously Tiny, 2800 populations +/- on any given week. are FIVE Storage complexes. two off Hwy 100 E of town, two on Hwy 100 W of town and at least one aware of on Hwy 19 S of town. Between them all is enough storage units for every home owner in town to have Two units. Add to that those of neighboring towns of even Less population that people here drag ***** to away from home. Garages FULL, Barns FULL, Storage units packed tight. Sad we have all these landfills in tin sheds.

  79. #79Old Doug2024-03-30 08:43

    What really was a deal that I didn't like was we had several buildings there were times when we had a load of stuff in an open top truck /trailer that needed not to get wet and no were to get it inside.

  80. #80BC Placer gold2024-03-30 09:05

    We also live in a rural area (6000 or so) with a larger town of around 20,000 within half an hour. In the last 5 years or so 3 large storage compounds have appeared...lay down crush, put up a chain link fence, and presto within a few months (or less) the compound is filled with a couple hundred RV's! I am amazed as each time I think to myself the market for rv storage must be saturated...even seen some smaller operations popping up on acreages. Rarely see people/activity in these compounds, notice very little movement of units...

  81. #8192U 34062024-03-30 09:34

    Been looking to acquire another bike. I swear people selling on classified sites are just as dumb as the people trying to buy stuff. I send a message asking if the bike's still around because I'm interested and can come by and look any evening of the week, just name a day and time. The ad says the bike has no battery so I also mention I can bring one along as I want to see that the bike runs and shifts. All I get as an answer is I'm working and will be buying a new battery for the bike. No mention of a day or time I can come look. You want to sell this bike or not? I'm going to go buy a used trade in from a dealer. Sick of dealing with morons on the classifieds.

  82. #82stinky642024-03-30 09:55

    Thanks for the segway 92U, there's a storage joint down the road from me too (imagine that) and I'm in the middle of nowhere. Was out brush hogging by the road last fall, feller on a bike broke down side of road. Being the helpful kinda guy I am, went to see if I could render some assistance, was broken rectifier wire, easy fix. While talking to the dude find out he has property out here but lives in the concrete jungle, his bike stored out here as well because his wifey said absolutely NO MOTORCYCLE. Turns out she also hates coming out to the property so the bike is a secret. Storage barns do have a place after all.

  83. #83Birken Vogt2024-03-30 10:09

    Plumbers and electricians around here use them as extra storage when they are not big enough to have a full shop of their own, but too big for their garage/house. About the only economic use I can see for these things.

  84. #84terex herder2024-03-30 14:23

    A local self storage site owner says if they can get you for 3 months they will have you for 5 years.

  85. #85Tugger22024-03-30 15:12

    Im busy cleaning up my yard . Scrapping quite a bit when the price is decent. I dont mind keeping big chunks of plate ,straight beams ,H piles and pipe if the lengths are decent.steel is always usable if it dosent have crap welded all over it and it keeps going up in value.Wood is bad here it rots before you can use it. The other thing ive kept a lot of is pipe fittings,they are my rainy day project in the shop,undo them all buff em clean on the wire wheel and put them in my bin. Ive got more valves and fitting than most suppliers and i get good use out of them without going to the store. The tough one is to convince myself that no one needs old crane parts anymore .Im dismantling 3 400 series Americans .One a 4450 was actually in very good shape and its been a challenge to throw away parts that are still good,i know hard i searched when i needed them. Doing a good cleanup is a challenge .I have a half acre of space im trying to empty for rental ,might make sense to do that with the other acre i have around the shop.Who knows until you try it.

  86. #86DMiller2024-03-30 15:34

    Local farmers with extra Leanto space started renting Covered RV storage, half price of the big town places. No card keys, have to call property owner or sheriff called as taken as treapasser. Caught several trying to steal from or entire units, carry your own insurance, none on property owners side except for the building.

  87. #87Old Doug2024-03-30 18:16

    I would want some very good contracts for the renters to sign and know a good lawyer just in case.

  88. #88motionclone2024-03-30 20:27

    I walk away from anyone selling that says that. Its the 21st century with many forms of communication like pics, video, multiple ways to communicate the condition of something. I ask a million questions, ask for pics etc then i make sure a price is agreed on before walking out the door and investing any time, fuel, etc on the deal. When I head out the door its to close the sale not go tire kicking. When I sell its the same deal, If someone asks if they can "come take a look at it" as a first communication i say no, ask a million questions, be serious and ready to buy then get ahold of me. These methods avoid hassles, tire kickers, no shows etc.

  89. #8992U 34062024-03-30 20:39

    Its a 2 way street. I don't agree to a price unless I physically see the item. If I message someone then I have the cash in hand and I prepared to pay up to the asking price if the item is as shown and described. Dealt with people who intentionally misrepresent what they're selling, even in the additional photos and videos. I'd rather jump in my truck, drive 20 minutes and see it in person.

  90. #90motionclone2024-03-30 20:57

    20 minutes no problem but up near me nothing is 20 minutes away unless extremely lucky. Up in Maine stuff is an hour or more away which means 2 hours or more round trip, a significant investment in time, fuel etc. For a while i was making people send me pics of the cash laid out on a table to show me they were serious buyers with the correct amount of cash before i would give out my address. "Not interested in showing it, only interested in selling it" I would say

  91. #9192U 34062024-03-30 21:07

    Fair enough. I stick to a 30-45 minute radius when searching for items so I don't have to go too far. I never remembered buying/selling being such a PITA like its been the last few years. Anything I want to sell these days I just take to the auction now. Even now trying to buy a bike I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay the dealership markup just to avoid the headache of dealing with people.

  92. #92motionclone2024-03-30 21:08

    I always ask that but only after a seller has invested some time into answering my questions. I do it for 2 reasons: 1. Because, as the buyer, I want to pay the absolute least amount of money i can for your item, Its the smart thing to do. Its the sellers job to hold the line not the buyers. 2. If an emotionally charged response comes back from such an innocent question like that it means Im dealing with a person driven by emotion. That useful info can be leveraged in a buy tactic.

  93. #93motionclone2024-03-30 21:16

    Its a total PIA because the world is full of dirtbags and selfish people with no pride or respect. Ive been buying and selling stuff through many different mediums for 30 or so years now and ive found that the harsh tactics i now use weed out most BS and time wasting crap.

  94. #94Shimmy12024-03-31 00:21

    Well, I can promise you that I would never buy something from you then. I absolutely will not buy anything sight-unseen unless I am absolutely certain that I'm getting it for cheap enough that I have an out. I literally just had a situation where I drove 3 hours, looked the machine over, and made an offer. They countered, I held firm. Headed for home, 30 minutes later they called back and offered it for $500 less than what I offered, if I agreed to the price before the end of the day. I told them I'd talk to my guys and let them know. Called them back in 10 minutes and took the deal. The final price was $10,500 cheaper than the advertised price when I left home that morning. Buying/selling is a game, and sometimes you just have to play a little bit to win.

  95. #95Welder Dave2024-03-31 00:59

    I don't get saying no if someone wants to come and look at something first either. If someone made a lowball offer over the phone and wanted to come and look I'd tell them not to waste my time. Sometimes cash in hand on the spot is worth selling for slightly less just because you don't have to deal with any more idiots wasting your time.

  96. #96Old Growth2024-03-31 03:08

    Yep pretty sure I dont have time to meet motionclones demands and send a hundred pics and then have him beat me up on price over the phone just to drive over and then try and lowball some more. I don’t need your money. If your clinking on my item. You are the one in need. Make the effort to come look and I’ll make the effort to entertain your offer. It seems the folks that I bend over backwards for trying to sell things for are the WORST buyers I ever deal with. Usually they end up NOT being buyers. The guy that picks up the phone, asks me pertinent questions about the item then says, “when can I come look”? That is the fella I will dicker with.

  97. #97Old Growth2024-03-31 03:18

    I walk away from anyone that says, “send me pics of the cash laid out on a table first”

  98. #98motionclone2024-03-31 07:54

    Good. Weve both probably missed out on good deals but I KNOW for a fact ive saved lots and lots of wasted time doing it my way. My time is worth a lot more than saving a few bucks on a buy or making a few extra bucks on a sell.

  99. #99Shimmy12024-03-31 09:15

    And that's fine, if your game is buying and selling. My game is making money with machinery and trucks. I need machinery and trucks to do that, and I need to buy machinery and trucks for the right prices. I don't have time to be screwing around trying to forensically examine a bunch of ****** photos that are taken at just the right angles and in just the right light to make something look as good as it can, or better than it is. Also, a fair price for something is what two people agree on, not slightly lower than the average of the 5 highest prices you can find something listed at. When I stumble across your item, I have no idea if you are asking $10k hoping to get $7k, or asking $10k for something that's really worth $8k, but you think it's actually worth $12k. And I have no way to really know until I come and examine it with my own eyes.

  100. #100Old Doug2024-03-31 09:36

    I would have to be pretty hungry to get into buying and selling. I haven't had a lot of bad stuff happen when I have sold stuff but I don't like doing it. I try my best whenever I buy something I plan on keeping it till my last day or it is junk. A lot of guys that do it complain but they wouldn't keep doing it unless they really liked it.

  101. #101Mobiltech2024-03-31 10:35

    What gets me is the people still wanting more than new price for a used item. I know it’s none of my business but I still want to message them and say how does this work. I just bought a new ATV from our local dealer off the showroom floor with all the bells and whistles where they had more than one to choose from. I get looking at marketplace and I see used bikes a year old with low miles great condition and the people want 2 to 3 grand more than I paid new. ***. We no longer have a lack of supply issue . Move on.

  102. #102motionclone2024-03-31 10:37

    My game ISNT buying and selling its just what i do to clean out stuff i dont need or buy stuff i do need but dont need brand new. My game is making money with my hands and a skillset with help of equipment which is why ive learned not to waste much of my valuable time buying and selling used stuff and dealing with the flaky public. Why not take advantage of modern tech to help determine if its even worth while to take time to go look at something? A picture speaks a 1000 words. Sure look it over with your eyes before forking over the cash but look over pics and ask a million questions before you invest any of your time in chasing a transaction with a stranger to begin with? A decent seller will include a bunch of good pics and a detailed description including the good and the bad right in the initial ad. And yes, ive asked to see pics of cash before giving out my address after spending hours of lost time on no shows then an hour showing a truck i had for sale and the buyer wanted to write me a check for it. Sent him packing and now vet the people i do transactions with better.

  103. #10392U 34062024-03-31 11:11

    7 years ago I sold my pickup and bought a new one. Literally just last night I found an identical truck to that one on Kijiji. Slightly less miles and the same year. They're asking over $10k more for it than what I sold mine for back in '17. Every car dealer and lot near me is packed to the gills with new vehicles. No excuse for the price gouging anymore.

  104. #104Mobiltech2024-03-31 11:21

    years ago when we bought a new sled , quad or truck we knew the minute we drove it off the lot it was worth 20 percent less than we paid. These days the value hardly changes and in some people’s minds it goes up.

  105. #10592U 34062024-03-31 12:06

    Myself I would never buy a used sled, quad or SXS for near new prices. We all know how stuff like that gets treated. Most used sleds/quads are worth a couple grand at best in my mind unless they truely are immaculate. I love motorcycles but even the prices on those are getting stupid. I love Harley's and Indians but I can't justify $60k for a new one. I could buy 2 to 4 bikes of just about any other brand for that price. Seems like I'll have to buy a 90s to early 2000s Harley as that seems to be the window where they've depreciated down as much as they ever will but haven't really started to appreciate in value in the vintage/collector market.

  106. #106Mobiltech2024-03-31 12:31

    What’s with SUV prices these days too. I priced out a new suburban diesel with some bells but no whistles and it was north of 100,000 bucks. The loaded ones are 120. Thanks but no thanks.

  107. #10792U 34062024-03-31 12:49

    If we get hit with hard times in the near future all these dealers are going to lose their shirts on the inventory. The local dealer here is advertising $10k off Denali and High Country pickups. You can't tell me they aren't still making money off every sale with $10k off sticker price.

  108. #108Shimmy12024-03-31 13:08

    If I have to pay more than a few hundred bucks for an item, you're taking my Business check. It has my name, phone number, and address on it. Same number I'm calling you on, same address on my driver's license. You can look up my business name with the State of ND if you want to. But, if you refuse to take a check from me, you're selling it to someone else. And, I guess that's your prerogative, but not everyone is a crook or a thief.

  109. #109Welder Dave2024-03-31 14:40

    I think it depends on how long you've had something for sale too. If it's worth more than a couple hundred bucks and especially if it's worth thousands, most serious buyers will want to inspect it in person, try it out and satisfy themselves as to its condition and if it's suitable for their needs. There is no picture, description or even video that comes close to inspecting and trying an item in person. I would get really annoyed with someone asking me a million questions. I'd think they were more a tire kicker than a serious buyer. I would say come and check it out for yourself if you're serious. If you expect to try and lowball me, don't waste my time. With the welder I sold I was very fortunate I had a place where it could be tried out and I could try it out myself. I took a few pics. and made a video. I didn't know I couldn't send very long video's though. One of the pics. was of a few beads I did to show how well it welded with 6010 and 7018. These are the 2 most common rods but both require a decent welder to burn properly. Most welder ads I see never show any pics. of how the welder works. A potential buyer could see it welds the same as the pics. I also offered some welding lessons and I sure wouldn't do that without a good welder. As it turned out the buyer was too far away to try it out for himself so I did everything I possibly could to ease his mind it was a good machine. I was satisfied it was in perfect working condition. The only thing I omitted was the year it was made but he never asked. I'm sure he knew it was older because it came up after he bought it. He did some research and thought it was from the 70's. I said I think it's from the 80's which it is although 1980. I think a lot of people would get hung up on the year. With a welder it's more about how well it works than how old it is. I had to go a couple hours out of my way but would have had to to deliver it closer and give some lessons anyway. I got paid a little extra for it too. The guy that bought it I think was like a kid in the candy store and couldn't wait to try it out. I was so happy to get a text saying it welded like a dream although I already knew it was a huge improvement over the basic AC buzzbox he had been using.

  110. #110Old Growth2024-03-31 14:52

    Its not that I dont trust you or your check, I dont trust the system that eaves drops on that check. If your not up to speed on the current changes, have a word with your b-keeper.

  111. #111Welder Dave2024-03-31 14:55

    One thing that can be an advantage to selling stuff yourself is that you only need 1 serious potential buyer. With an auction you need at least 2 and most people won't pay as much at an auction. There are exceptions though where people stupidly pay more at an auction than they could go buy the item new. Auctions are good when you mostly just need stuff gone or you have something in high demand.

  112. #112Welder Dave2024-03-31 15:07

    Nothing wrong with a cheque nor is there with the seller waiting till the cheque clears before the item leaves their possession. Going to the sellers bank with a cheque is OK too. Way too many scams out there. I wanted cash for the welder if I'm driving 2 hours away. Even with an e-transfer I'd want to be absolutely certain the money went through. I also didn't want to take a chance the internet or whatever didn't go down. Cash is best but not very convenient for large purchases.

  113. #113motionclone2024-03-31 18:00

    My ads always say cash only. If someone tries to give me a check i send them on down the road dont care how far they drove from. Unwritten rule in my region today is never take a check on a private sale for anything. Its too easy to forge, stop payment, etc etc. Scams everywhere etc. Most businesses wont even take a paper check from someone anymore , dont care if its a "business" check or not. Large transactions over 10K, bank to bank wire transfer or shared banking deposit only. And product doesnt leave the property until my bank says the money is there and cant be pulled out.

  114. #114Welder Dave2024-03-31 19:15

    You can hold on to your item until a cheque has gone through and the money is in your account.

  115. #115motionclone2024-03-31 19:45

    Or you can require cash payment only that way there doesnt need to be multiple visits to my property, phone calls to check to see if check is cleared, potential for buyer to stop payment and back out leaving me hanging, My wife backing her car into your item sitting in my driveway while we make sure the check cleared. etc. etc. lots of reasons a check is a bad idea. If you can write a check, you can stop at the bank and get cash sheeeeeesh.

  116. #116Truck Shop2024-03-31 20:17

    Up to $5,000 at one time.

  117. #117motionclone2024-03-31 20:21

    Says who? No such limit in the USA. Maybe a specific bank limits you but no regs say you can only take out 5K. I took out 23K last year for a truck purchase.

  118. #118Mobiltech2024-03-31 20:30

    A bank draft usually works well for items over 10,000

  119. #11992U 34062024-03-31 20:38

    Bank draft, cash or etransfer are my prefered methods.

  120. #120Truck Shop2024-03-31 20:41

    Your correct it's $10,000---involving the BSA. This guy says who!

  121. #121Shimmy12024-03-31 21:09

    I'm just glad there still is some semblance of civility and mutual respect here in my neck of the woods. Obviously there are criminals everywhere, but at least here we still hold on to a little bit of faith in society. I truly feel sorry for you guys that have to put up with the sad state of affairs in other parts of this country. I drove 3 hours into another state a month ago. Made an offer for 4 scraper tires over the phone. Got there, loaded them up, handed the guy a check, and was on my way. Maybe this will be the norm again someday.........

  122. #122Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:15

    Don't anyone hold their breath. Crime is job growth #1, Prisons are not getting smaller, prisons are designed to expand.

  123. #123Welder Dave2024-03-31 21:26

    If I'm paying thousands for something I'm inspected it in person. If someone expected me to make a deal over the phone or through text's before I could even look at in person, it can sit there for eternity. Payment can always be arranged after a deal is made. Most people aren't walking around with thousands in their pocket. A deal is made, the buyer can go to his bank to get a bank draft. Seller could even go with buyer if it was close. It all depends how bad the seller wants to sell it and how bad the buyer wants it. Most banks I've dealt with wouldn't have $10K cash to give you. Payment with a cheque and seller keeps the item till it clears is another option. Motionclone seems like he would be difficult to deal with.

  124. #124motionclone2024-03-31 21:26

    Not sure where you get info but you should look elsewhere. There isnt a 10K limit on withrawl from your own bank account. Not in the USA anyway

  125. #125Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:32

    Do you know what BSA stands for?

  126. #126motionclone2024-03-31 21:33

    Youre in a different country im sure things are different. Im only difficult to deal with if you arent bringing common sense to the transaction table or are carrying on like its 1987 and you just saw my 12 word classified ad in the local paper.

  127. #127motionclone2024-03-31 21:34

    Boy Scouts of America, lol

  128. #128Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:39

    Bank Secrecy Act--been around since the Nixon days.

  129. #129motionclone2024-03-31 21:43

    Great. But it doesnt limit how much you can pull out of your bank account like you incorrectly think it does.

  130. #130Welder Dave2024-03-31 21:49

    You can't just walk into a bank and take out an unlimited amount. That's when you get a bank draft or do a transfer to another bank. If you wanted a large amount of cash you would have to arrange for it in advance.

  131. #131Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:49

    Uh yes they can-and just what are you going to do about it---nothing, not a damn thing except start ranting and raving in the bank lobby how it's your money--you have to wait 24 for clearance. My sister was a bank vise pres.--edit. .

  132. #132motionclone2024-03-31 21:52

    Maybe not in Canada but in the US you can. Not unlimited im sure but there is no 10K Cap like Truck Shop keeps saying. Hes mixed up the 10K fed reporting requirement with a 10K withdrawl limit somehow. And like i stated previously, I pulled 23K cash last year from my bank. Im sure that triggered a report but could care less, im not doing anything wrong. And Ive pulled over 10K severall times over the years no issues at all. Not in jail and nobody kicking my doors down.

  133. #133Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:56

    This is too funny---you didn't know what BSA was but now you know all about how it works, in less than 20 minutes. Cash.

  134. #134motionclone2024-03-31 22:00

    I know what BSA is its the Boy Scouts of America. I also know that you dont know what youre talking about on withdrawl limits but you think you do. Why dont you show us the exact text of where the BSA limits a persons withdrawl of cash from a bank to 10K. And also explain to me and everyone else whos pulled more than 10k how we managed to do it?

  135. #135terex herder2024-03-31 22:02

    $10,000 cash in or out requires a CTR, currency transaction report, unless you are a business that routinely deals in that much cash. If you get a cashiers check made out to yourself that counts as cash. Now, what bankers can't tell you, is amounts over $5,000 cash in or out usually require a SAR, suspicious activity report. I have been told even asking about the amount of money you can move without a report triggers a SAR. Bankers are not allowed to mention a SAR. And structuring amounts to avoid a report is a crime in itself. If you sell a car for $12,000 cash and take $4,000 to the bank for 3 weeks you have committed a crime.

  136. #136motionclone2024-03-31 22:04

    This is why private sale transactions are such a pain, too many ignorant people out there.

  137. #137Truck Shop2024-03-31 22:04

    Boy howdy!

  138. #138motionclone2024-03-31 22:06

    And can you explain to Trucker that none of that is a LIMIT on how much cash you can pull out, only the triggers for reports

  139. #139Welder Dave2024-03-31 22:07

    If you had $100,000 in the bank you couldn't just walk in and ask for it. It's ridiculous to think you could.

  140. #140motionclone2024-03-31 22:10

    You absolutely could. Its ridiculous to think you couldnt, its YOUR MONEY

  141. #141terex herder2024-03-31 22:20

    You can walk in and ask for your money in cash. You may have to wait a few days for a smaller bank to get that much cash on hand. However, in some states more than others, southern states especially, a sheriffs deputy or state trooper will soon pull you over for crossing the fog line. They will claim some reason to search your car and discover your cash. They will seize the cash, stating it is possible evidence of a crime. The county attorney will then start civil forfeiture proceedings against you for the cash. Since they have all your money, its kinda hard to hire a lawyer to protest the forfeiture.

  142. #142Acoals2024-03-31 22:20

    Well at any rate, I for one am not showing up to buy something with 10k in Benjamins bulging out of my pocket.

  143. #143kaffine2024-03-31 22:22

    I don't know where you bank but none that I have dealt with would I be able to pull that much out just walking in. It would require at least a day if not more notice so they could have the cash on hand. I've had issues with banks not having cash on hand to get $3k in cash. I'm guessing they had more than that on hand but wouldn't hand it all out to a single customer as that would shut the branch down for the rest of the day.

  144. #144Welder Dave2024-03-31 22:23

    A bank would transfer the money to another bank if you were changing banks. Banks don't hold unlimited funds. If you were purchasing something they would do a bank draft. What if it was $1mil.? You think the bank would/could just hand it to you in cash. Not a chance and the amount would be a whole lot less than $1mil. Like was mentioned, $3000 could be difficult for some banks.

  145. #145motionclone2024-03-31 22:33

    Like i stated above, I pulled 23K cash from a small town bank branch in Maine and nobody batted an eye sounds like your bank sucks. And on several other occasions i pulled 12k, 15k and the like from a different bank in a small town in Maine and got no probs. Maybe its regional thing dont know. Transactions up in this range would be best to wire transfer or shared branch transfer so as to not be a target for a thief, But Cash is a possibility even over 10K

  146. #146motionclone2024-03-31 22:38

    Pistol goes in the pocket(holster), cash stays in the truck hidden until its time to pay up.

  147. #147Bumpsteer2024-03-31 22:52

    Had a bass boat, 17' Starcraft, had a Merc 45 jet drive outboard. Yes, it was different. Listed it on c-list (stupid). After all the lookie loos got weeded out, got a serious buyer that wanted to see it. Guy comes out, "I brought my mechanic!" Good for you. Checked it out....compression test etc....I sat on the porch and drank beer. Didn't offer them any, f-you. He finally started laying out dead presidents on the boat...200 less than asking. I got up, gathered the cash.....enjoy yer new boat. Ed

  148. #148Shimmy12024-03-31 22:57

    I wouldn't pay in cash if it was $5k, ESPECIALLY if the seller was refusing to allow me to come and look first, and demanding me send him pictures of said cash. It's ridiculous conditions like this that make buying/selling a PITA.

  149. #149cfherrman2024-04-01 09:06

    Bank is lieing to you if they don't have 3k on hand. Banks are supposed to have a certain amount on hand because of bank runs and they use an automatic clearing house to have the money on hand. Civil asset forfeiture is a very real and scary thing. This on guy had some cash on him to buy a truck and got it seized, took like 4 years to get it back. The feds seized all the safe deposit boxes in some bank I think in California, took $100k and 4-5 years to get their boxes back.

  150. #150HarleyHappy2024-04-01 09:07

    I guess I’m different. I think I have about 15 to 1700 in my pocket right now. Going to bank in a little bit to pull out 6k as I usually carry 2k and will put rest in safe. I buy high dollar items all the time and want the cash discount. Just sold the wife’s Camaro on Carvana and she deposited a 12k check last week. We bought it in cash. Sometimes I will use a bank check, we are allowed 2 a month for free but with cash, if I can get a discount, I will. We are not in a high crime area but always CCL, no hero, just aware. Before I go to bank, I’m going to look at tires for the Jeep JK that I paid cash for last week that’s replacing my wife’s Camaro. I know the tire guy appreciates cash. Some people are different, I learned from my father to always carry cash because that gun deal maybe right around the corner. My neighbor is the same, so is my brother. He bought a Chevy 2500 last month and between him, my father and me he drove up north with 16k in cash to offer on a truck listed on CL that was 18k OBO. Whelp 16k was the number. When I had my driveway paved, the Gypsies give you one number but ALWAYS charge more. We had XTRA XTRA money in the safe for that day. Went from 7500 to 12,5k for more asphalt as driveway is 770 ft long. We got a quarter of it paved. Cash is king, under 20k after that ET or Bank Check. Everybody is different.

  151. #151Acoals2024-04-01 10:07

    The Bank as a whole system must have required amounts of "cash on hand", but that doesn't mean actual paper money sitting in the vault at the local branch. 3k seems a bit low, but I know that at my local bank branch if I wanted more than maybe 5k out I would need to give them notice of a day or so in order for them to have it at the branch.

  152. #152mekanik2024-04-01 10:33

    Banks have to be careful of fraud too. A Notary Public pulled off a substantial bank fraud was never caught and the way he did it is still wide open for exploitation. Here is an explanation of what a Notary is as they may called something different south of the border: A notary public (a.k.a. notary or public notary ; pl. notaries public ) of the common law is a public officer constituted by law to serve the public in non-contentious matters usually concerned with general financial transactions, estates, deeds, powers-of-attorney, and foreign and international business. The Notary bought a nice home in Toronto. Homes where he bought sold for around $400,000 at the time. Shortly afterwards he did up and submits the paperwork to release the title of the house from the mortgage. Then he went to another lending institution and took out a second mortgage against the same house. He would have been able to borrow close to $300,000. He did this a total of five times all the while making payments to the mortgage holders. He then abandoned the home and disappeared with the money. He would have probably taken the various lenders for close to one and a half million dollars. That was close to twenty years ago and he was never caught.

  153. #153mowingman2024-04-01 10:40

    No you can't. Banks only keep small amounts of cash at their various branches. A few years ago, I went in to my local bank branch to withdraw $25,000.00 I needed for a cash purchase. The bank could not give me that much cash without a couple of days wait for it to be approved and sent out by their main banking office. I believe I went in on a Friday, and they could not provide the cash until the following Tues. I was ticked, as I did not think it would be a problem, since it was " my money".

  154. #154Acoals2024-04-01 10:44

    The idea of a bank vault being filled with cash is a myth from a bygone era . . .

  155. #155cfherrman2024-04-01 12:11

    Yeah what I'm talking about is digital money and changes from day to day. I'm very curious how much paper money they would have.

  156. #156motionclone2024-04-01 17:00

    Then theres that clown that demands a private seller take a check for something after wasting the sellers time and agreeing to buy even though the ad says CASH ONLY. THATS what actually makes private sales a PIA nowadays. Well that and people who are too lazy to read the description, look at pics, ask for more pics, ask question and generally inform themselves BEFORE asking to come take a look.

  157. #157motionclone2024-04-01 17:01

    Depending on the bank and day ill bet most have 100K green cash on hand at least.

  158. #158motionclone2024-04-01 17:02

    Yeah might take a couple days for them to get the green cash on hand but you absolutely can withdraw every penny in green cash. A few people here seem to think there is a limit to the amount of your own cash you can take out..lol

  159. #159cfherrman2024-04-01 17:57

    That's my guess but I actually don't know

  160. #160Truck Shop2024-04-01 18:01

    The point was missed--sure it's your money, sure you can clean out your account. The point is not all banks have that kind of cash on hand, plus the fact of too many withdrawals in the range of 10,000 starting at five can cause the SAR to trip. Banks are required to report unusual cash withdrawals. In some cases accounts can be frozen along with cards until an investigative audit is done, or the person on the account can prove what it is for. It all has to do with money laundering, tax evasion, drugs.

  161. #161Welder Dave2024-04-01 19:50

    Now it's changed to, it might take a couple days. That's a huge difference from being able to just walk in and take out large amounts of cash.

  162. #162Birken Vogt2024-04-01 22:20

    I pulled a bunch of cash to take to an equipment sale. Sale was pouring rain, no cover, I had things that I had to look at so I just got wet and so did the cash. Did not end up buying anything, took it all back to the bank next day. They were annoyed it was all soaked, said they would have to stand it up on end (it was sort of horseshoe shaped) and let it set in the vault to dry out. I'm sure that was annoying because I'm sure they have certain places the cash is supposed to be stored but I did not want to have possession of it for that long.

  163. #163Old Growth2024-04-02 00:30

    Not around here. We bought a nice 67 Pontiac a few years ago and I had to go to three different branches on two different days to get enough out to pick up the car. I had to reschedule to friday since I could not get it all out on the wednesday when I told him I would pick it up.

  164. #164motionclone2024-04-02 06:30

    Actually the incorrect point being made was that there was a legal limit on how much cash a person is allowed to pull out of the bank. First he said it was 5k then he said it was 10K, neither is true. It was supposed to be some argument for writing checks to sellers on private sales. He had a misunderstanding of the reporting requirement and instead of saying yeah i guess youre right you actually CAN take out more then 10K, he and others just piled on in a different direction and here we are. And who cares if there is a report made to the IRS? If you arent doing anything illegal nothing will happen. The reporting is just a requirement that banks have to do to help the feds catch money laundering or tax avoiding schemes. If you arent running a tax avoidance or money launder scheme and you are just pulling money to pay for a boat or truck you will be perfectly fine.

  165. #16556wrench2024-04-02 08:21

    I would’t take a large amount of cash from anybody. Who’s to say some or all of it was counterfeit? Bank draft, wire transfer or e-transfer works for me. When we retired and sold our equipment over a couple years, thats how we did it. No problems

  166. #166Truck Shop2024-04-02 08:36

    Would you show me and the rest where I used the word limit, I never did or implied any limit. What was implied was a triggering of SAR-CRT. Like many you read too much into what is a reply, or add what isn't there. Find the word {limit}.

  167. #167cfherrman2024-04-02 09:18

    You certainly haven't been paying to attention to the criminal justice system lately

  168. #168HarleyHappy2024-04-02 10:25

    So, I just took out 6100 yesterday in cash, a few months ago I took out 16k for a used SxS, I will admit, they do ask what you’re doing with it kinda slyly. We deposited over 250k from a house sale almost 3 years ago. I jokingly said it was a great coke deal, the check was from another bank. I did call ahead of time and give not before I picked up the 16k and they told me anything over 25k, ask ahead of time. Not for the amount but the time to count it ahead of time.

  169. #169motionclone2024-04-02 13:35

    Post #117. You said could only take out 5k at one time, then later in another post you said it was 10k.

  170. #170Truck Shop2024-04-02 13:44

    Did you find the word limit?

  171. #171DMiller2024-04-02 14:10

    Received a final call from the hard head, asked if I had changed my mind. Asked him if was still in the Trk paper Ads, he said did not see it in latest, told him is as no longer for sale. Said I would be back, told him to hold his breath til then. Does not matter if Want Need or Have to sell it, will NOT be to that ass. As get older get far less tolerant of Insolent or Aggressive disrespect.

  172. #172motionclone2024-04-02 15:45

    I get it, youre embarrassed and feel foolish that you thought that the 10K IRS report trigger was actually a limit, a cap, a max amount you can take out at a time, etc. Even going so far as to be arrogant with that incorrect info. But its no big deal we all make mistakes and learn from them. If you keep doubling down on your mistake with denials and BS word games though this lesson you just got might not stick and then theres a chance you'll forget what you just learned.

  173. #173motionclone2024-04-02 15:49

    Youre definitely on a couple lists now!! BUT who cares if you arent actually doing anything wrong? I think those sus reports only come into play if you happen to be investigated for something else, then the gov has some on hand intel into your bank activities.

  174. #174Acoals2024-04-02 16:03

    Might not hurt to learn how to have just enough respect to not be so desperate for the last word . . .

  175. #175motionclone2024-04-02 16:19

    how do you know its the last word? I was expecting him to call me a big meanie next.lol I feel ive been nothing but respectful. Could have ripped him up but i was real nice instead.

  176. #176motionclone2024-04-02 16:42

    Guess not because ive never heard of anyone getting in trouble for pulling large cash out of the bank. Have you?

  177. #177Welder Dave2024-04-02 16:44

    He wasn't talking about how much you can take out and you aren't even familiar with what he was talking about. At the very least it would be a common courtesy, if not a requirement to let a bank know in advance if you wanted to take out a large amount of cash. What are you going to do if they don't have enough to give you? Make a big scene at the bank? There are alternatives to cash like bank drafts that are just as good and much easier to get in large amounts. I think bank drafts have mostly replaced certified cheques. The money is taken out of the account at the time the draft is made. The account holder no longer has access to it unless it isn't used. Then you have to go back to the bank and have it cancelled. I think they charge a fee for bank draft and/or to cancel one. I would rather a small fee and carry a bank draft made out to a specific person than carry a large amount of cash.

  178. #178motionclone2024-04-02 17:00

    I think im going to step up my vetting game in future transactions after this enlightening thread.

  179. #179cfherrman2024-04-02 17:14

    Yes, doesn't matter if you get it back 4 years later

  180. #180Welder Dave2024-04-02 17:15

    You shouldn't assume everyone can just walk into their bank and take out an unlimited amount of cash with no advance notice. Certain people or businesses may be able too if they frequently deal in large amounts but it wouldn't be an unlimited amount without prior notice.

  181. #181mowingman2024-04-02 17:22

    Are we "Beating a dead horse" here???

  182. #182Welder Dave2024-04-02 17:28

    I've created a monster I never intended to.

  183. #183motionclone2024-04-02 17:33

    Oh post a link to the story. edit: I looked it up and read some of the stories, civil asset forfeiture. Looks like the DEA and other agencies are abusing power and robbing people using these laws. BUT it looks like most states have now responded with laws that make that practice much more difficult like it should be. IRS has been doing the same thing for YEARS only not cash you pull out and carry around but rather all of the money you have in the bank. Dont need charges either, just an unpaid debt to the IRS or even unfiled returns.

  184. #184motionclone2024-04-02 17:36

    Beating a dead horse is probably illegal but does it also generate an irs report? Cause an asset seizure? Multiple members here say it does, heard it on the internet.

  185. #185Welder Dave2024-04-02 19:27
  186. #186motionclone2024-04-02 19:41

    Hi Im interested in your thread, is its still available? Hey OP why not just get your own thread back on track instead of piling on?

  187. #187Acoals2024-04-02 21:16

    And . . . the threadlocker is starting to leak . . .

  188. #188Welder Dave2024-04-02 22:51

    There's a big difference between just going into a bank to take out a large amount of cash and giving the bank a couple of days notice. Every bank will have a limit on the max. amount that can be withdrawn without any prior notice.

  189. #189Birken Vogt2024-04-03 01:25

    Look up attorney Steve Lehto on youtube and he has dozens of videos on CAF. I don't think states have responded with many laws worth a hoot, they like taking money too much. Actually there is a law already on the books, it's called the 4th amendment, "no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized" and also the 5th amendment "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation" and the 14th "nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" of which it is clearly in violation of all, but it just won't go away.