Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

strange grinding grating noise when I turn my skidsteer

Nick009 ยท 2012-10-10 11:22

Hi I have a toyota 4SDK8 and it is making a grinding grating noise when I drive it. It seems to be much worse when I'm turning and even worse still if I try to turn on the spot. I've had the machine since august and it has had a bit of noise since I bought it. It didn't seem to affect the performance until yesterday so I didn't really pay to much attention. I noticed that the hydraulic oil was a bit low so I topped it up (now I think I might have overfilled it) It seems to drive ok for the first 15min but then it gets worse. The machine has about 7000hrs on it. Where should I start to investigate this issue? its my first skidsteer so I'm a bit green. Thanks for you help. Nick

Replies5
  1. #1Nick0092012-10-12 22:34

    I should add that the driving controls become very stiff when trying to turn. They are fine going straight forwards or backwards but stiff when turning, Any ideas?

  2. #2Scrub Puller2012-10-12 23:49

    Yair . . . Nick009 . Bloody hell old mate, you're having a tough trot what with the truck problems and now the skid . . . not a bloody thing I can suggest, those little jiggers are way out of my pay grade. All I can do is sympathise . . . hang in there, the fellers on here are very helpfull and I wish you all the best. Cheers.

  3. #3NCPIPELINE2012-10-15 05:55

    First things first, dump the HYD fluid & filter(s) into a clean container and check for metal content.

  4. #4Nick0092012-10-16 10:00

    Thanks NCPIPELINE, I will do that. I'm working on another job so I can't get to it until monday or tuesday. I take a look and post back. A friend I was speaking to told he thinks it could be something wrong with the reduction gears....I'm a bit green so I don't even know if I have reduction gears..or reductions boxes...

  5. #5Nick0092012-10-23 10:49

    Ok I checked it out and couldn't find any sign of metal in the hydraulic oil.... where to next?