I may be driving the Cat 951C on paved city streets...it has the "street" pads on it...is this a good idea? I really do not want to any damage to the pavement...to of course stay out of trouble. What's your guys opinion/experience? Thanks!!!
As long as the city is fine with it and some marking on the pavement. The only time we do it with our excavators and street pads for extended lengths are when we are working for the city doing underground work or what ever else they have us do that requires us to go on the streets. Otherwise we usually have to load and unload excavators on the street which we have never gotten in trouble for.
..... "Street Pads" ...... is what it means, providing there are no "Corks or extra Grousers" welded on above the pads surface ...... but you will still have to be careful when turning, even when the asphalt is cold ..... in a straight line travel it will still leave scratch marks but not damaged like torn up, broken pavement .... you will still have use your discretion, the 951 has good weight to it (pounds/square inch) as compaired to an excavator of equal gross weight ...... but if you are just traveling on it and not working on the surface you should be fine.
Great information, thanks so much! That is very interesting about asking...have anyone one of you actually did that for something rather than a city job? I'm kind of thinking it might be one of those things where its better to beg for forgiveness, than ask permission...I see, can I drive a crawler loader on the streets turning into visions of a D11 leaving a trail of destruction... Also, the 951 may have a 15K+ load on it (see the other thread where I'm asking about the lifting capacity of it) So that is interesting info about the weight distribution.